Richmond's struggle with interstate games

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning away is not something you switch on and off like a tap.

but we don't have to. Get top 2, stay in the G for QF and PF and hopefully the GF all at our home before our home crowd.

That's the trick. If we had to concentrate on form away from the G we would but we don't have to. We win our share away from the MCG anyway and we do wha we have to do.

but we don't have to. Get top 2, stay in the G for QF and PF and hopefully the GF all at our home before our home crowd.

That's the trick. If we had to concentrate on form away from the G we would but we don't have to. We win our share away from the MCG anyway and we do wha we have to do.
And there it is in a nutshell.

West Coast will beat the Tiges by a kick after the siren in the Grand Final even though I’d prefer the Eagles to dip out in straight sets. I know this because the Suns traded for the Eagles’ first round pick, expecting a top ten pick this year, and the Gold Coast sports curse has now been linked to the Eagles finishing position.

You know what, this post of yours is 65 pages into a thread designed to s**t on my team.

You can all stick your humility up your arse.

Spot on.

It proves 100% the hate some have for our club and its supporters to allow this thread to get to this many pages.

Im just stoked we all know it now

West Coast will beat the Tiges by a kick after the siren in the Grand Final even though I’d prefer the Eagles to dip out in straight sets. I know this because the Suns traded for the Eagles’ first round pick, expecting a top ten pick this year, and the Gold Coast sports curse has now been linked to the Eagles finishing position.

Yeah this is amusing.

Has there been much discussion about it? Top10 was probably what a lot of people expected you to get.

my point was if the H&A fixture was even everyone plays each other home and away then we finish on top easily but no one wants to mention that they just want to complain about finals.

And yes if you are going to embark on a big infrastructure project you really don't think the major stakeholders aren't consulted about things they would like to see? ******* dreaming if you think something as big as that is just done without and thought to the wishes of the major tenants.

You realise that the State government owns, through the Western Australian Football Commission, both of the major stakeholders right?

You realise that neither the Eagles or the Dockers had any say over the stadium right? It when something like this:

WA State Gov: "Hey we might build a new stadium in Perth"

WAFC: "Nah lets re-develop Subiaco instead because we control that and that would be nice"

WA State Gov:"Yeah, nah we'll build a new one for all major sports"

WAFC: "Ok cool, then you'll give us control over it like we have at Subiaco"

WA State Gov: "No, it will be for everyone via a private operator"

WAFC: "Ok build it to the same dimensions as the MGC''

WA State Gov: "No, it will be built using dimensions that are workable for all sports/events"

WAFC: "Well we just won't play there then"

WA State Gov: "You'll do what you're ******* told or you'll be playing in that shitbox Subiaco for the next 50 years with no funding"

WAFC: "Ok boss"

Honestly, we’ve won a majority of our interstate games for years

It’s not a sensitive issue for Richmond but it’s funny watching opposition fans talk about it thinking it’s a real issue

I guess there’s nothing else for ppl to cling to when downplaying how good we are

Last year it was all dusty dusty dusty
We keep winning when he’s out of form

It’s a never ending search of excuses to explain Richmond’s success

We’ve upset your salty little minds

Im sure clubs get to voice an opinion but the grounds dont get built solely for AFL usage. I'm not trying to start another long, ultimately pointless debate as we will never agree but whenever anyone starts to talk about blaming other states for not replicating the G I start to question whether the poster actually knows how things work.

The Wembley argument holds no weight because it isnt a team's home ground permanently like the MCG is. A team spending a season there waiting for their own stadium to he built is hardly a justified narrative. No obviously the dimensions dont get changed but that year is a once off. In the AFL you have MCG tenants being able to play the GF at home every year they make it.

Yes, how things work if that the interstate teams prefer having a bigger home ground advantage due to their unique ground size which inflates their ladder position because it's easier to do that and then complain when they lose finals due to not being good enough than it is to copy the G make it on merit and then just win.

Literally zero reason for the Perth stadium to not copy the MCG dimensions if the AFL clubs pushed hard enough and the claim oh they will play soccer and rugby there once in a blue moon is a cop out.

That saves me having to explain that point.

As for the Wembley scenario, don't you think it would be unfair that Tottenham got a whole season to get used to the Wembley dimensions and stadium? I mean, that's how they won the FA cup in a cake walk right?

What about the fact that these teams train on alternative sized grounds as we don't get to access the MCG. Some of the MCG tenants play a handful of games there each year. They also have to share the ground with a bunch of other teams and don't get a "home ground advantage" against these co-tenants.

Plenty of points the other way - to say it's a simple advantage to play the GF at the MCG and that interstate teams are crucified by these AFL decisions with no power of their own to change the situation is oversimplifying the issue.

That saves me having to explain that point.

As for the Wembley scenario, don't you think it would be unfair that Tottenham got a whole season to get used to the Wembley dimensions and stadium? I mean, that's how they won the FA cup in a cake walk right?

What about the fact that these teams train on alternative sized grounds as we don't get to access the MCG. Some of the MCG tenants play a handful of games there each year. They also have to share the ground with a bunch of other teams and don't get a "home ground advantage" against these co-tenants.

Plenty of points the other way - to say it's a simple advantage to play the GF at the MCG and that interstate teams are crucified by these AFL decisions with no power of their own to change the situation is oversimplifying the issue.

One one-off season does not make a sound comparison to a perpetual advantage.

When the big dance is played at your home ground its a huge advantage unless you think home ground advantage isnt a thing in which case you would be wrong.

I get that you share your ground with 3 other teams rather than 1 other tenant like some interstate teams. But we now have a situation where Richmond cant beat a decent side interstate and yet it wont matter because they just have to be good at the MCG. Other teams have to make the finals by playing a gamestyle that works on their own grounds but then have to change to suit the MCG for one match of the year. MCG tenants dont have to adjust.

If you do up a full list there is far more inequity for interstate teams than MCG tenants

The most frustrating thing is the fix is easy.

But fairness comes second to money.

Everyone can accept tthat point except when Viccos try to say its fair.

Anyway, you are not going to give any ground, neither will I. Lets move on and never speak again. We will both be smarter for it.

You realise that the State government owns, through the Western Australian Football Commission, both of the major stakeholders right?

You realise that neither the Eagles or the Dockers had any say over the stadium right? It when something like this:

WA State Gov: "Hey we might build a new stadium in Perth"

WAFC: "Nah lets re-develop Subiaco instead because we control that and that would be nice"

WA State Gov:"Yeah, nah we'll build a new one for all major sports"

WAFC: "Ok cool, then you'll give us control over it like we have at Subiaco"

WA State Gov: "No, it will be for everyone via a private operator"

WAFC: "Ok build it to the same dimensions as the MGC''

WA State Gov: "No, it will be built using dimensions that are workable for all sports/events"

WAFC: "Well we just won't play there then"

WA State Gov: "You'll do what you're ******* told or you'll be playing in that shitbox Subiaco for the next 50 years with no funding"

WAFC: "Ok boss"
so you're saying your football hierarchy in w.a isn't big/rich/smart enough to influence your state govt to make favourable decisions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back