Ryan Nyhuis tackle on Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is, you do that and the player often just keels over and you get called in the back. I am not sure there is an easy answer on how to tackle better with the rules we currently have.

This one wasn't even 2 clear actions, Nyhuis didn't pin both his arms, Gray was more focussed on trying to get rid of the ball than protect himself, etc. There are a lot of things that could have made this much worse and Gray didn't help much.

Yep. Others have said earlier - once Gray tries to kick he hasn't got any feet planted on the floor and topples much easier. Not either players fault here - Gray is trying to dispose of the footy and Nhyuis is trying to tackle him, with enough force to bring him to ground and once Gray loses his planting, all that force goes straight to ground

Yep. Others have said earlier - once Gray tries to kick he hasn't got any feet planted on the floor and topples much easier. Not either players fault here - Gray is trying to dispose of the footy and Nhyuis is trying to tackle him, with enough force to bring him to ground and once Gray loses his planting, all that force goes straight to ground
Exactly, we can't take away the ability of players to tackle, however we need to discourage them from dangerous tackles, so I feel a week or two is fair. The 3-4 he is looking at if they get their proposed grading is ridiculous.

reminds me of when Geelong acted like Cameron Ling had been near decapitated by Solomon and got him 8 weeks. Ling played 2 weeks later.
8 weeks to me is fair for a deliberate elbow, more the case of filthy dogs like Jonas got off very very lightly for the same thing.

From memory Gibbs has done it atleast once maybe twice to him. Gray evades and wriggles outta tackles as good as any, he shouldn't be punished because of his ability when he's slammed head first.
Not sure I agree it was head first. Is that the consensus people are going with?

Problem is, you do that and the player often just keels over and you get called in the back. I am not sure there is an easy answer on how to tackle better with the rules we currently have.

This one wasn't even 2 clear actions, Nyhuis didn't pin both his arms, Gray was more focussed on trying to get rid of the ball than protect himself, etc. There are a lot of things that could have made this much worse and Gray didn't help much.
You can see Nyhuis very much push Gray forward with his weight and Nyhuis puts all his power in to Gray. He has to drop to his knees much faster and use his weight to drag Gray down, and then once Gray is on the way down he can roll him on to his side.

There's a lot of in the backs been paid right now which is annoying as a lot of them are good tackles where the player just gets his opponent to ground without lifting them, but that's still a better result and if it goes on long enough umpires will stop falling for the players flinging themselves forward.

The driving/lifting of a player is the problem. It was the same thing with Nic Nat, and with Grundy on Ben Brown last year, when big men really drive a player in a certain direction there's a lot of force at play once that player starts to come down.
I'm guessing for it to be reduced from 'Severe' to 'High' impact a lot will depend on the PAFC medical report. What are the guidelines/protocols for this? I'm guessing everyone wants to avoid a situation where the medical report says that Robbie Gray nearly died and needed to have a complete head reconstruction, only to have him cleared to play this week?
Impact is both the injury caused and the potential for serious injury. Looks like Gray has concussion but no other damage, the medical report will only say that.

You can see Nyhuis very much push Gray forward with his weight and Nyhuis puts all his power in to Gray. He has to drop to his knees much faster and use his weight to drag Gray down, and then once Gray is on the way down he can roll him on to his side.

There's a lot of in the backs been paid right now which is annoying as a lot of them are good tackles where the player just gets his opponent to ground without lifting them, but that's still a better result and if it goes on long enough umpires will stop falling for the players flinging themselves forward.

The driving/lifting of a player is the problem. It was the same thing with Nic Nat, and with Grundy on Ben Brown last year, when big men really drive a player in a certain direction there's a lot of force at play once that player starts to come down.

Impact is both the injury caused and the potential for serious injury. Looks like Gray has concussion but no other damage, the medical report will only say that.
So - we could have a situation at the Tribunal tomorrow where the impact is deemed severe yet come Thursday Gray might be cleared to play on the weekend?

Seems like Nyhuis' best hope is to argue the impact was 'high' and cop the 2 weeks.

Severe impact, the port medical report stitch up as expected.

Still waiting on our “massive form” for doing this?

This is one live incident. Can you please provide others to support your claim?

So - we could have a situation at the Tribunal tomorrow where the impact is deemed severe yet come Thursday Gray might be cleared to play on the weekend?

Seems like Nyhuis' best hope is to argue the impact was 'high' and cop the 2 weeks.

If he had the opportunity to plead it would have been 2 down to 1 which is about right I think.

Michael Christians MRP chook lotto took that opportunity away from him.

Tackle is at worst, careless. Those claiming 'intentional' and 'dog act' are crazy. Gray had at least one arm free but didn't use that to cushion the fall in any way. I have no idea why not.

The only good thing to come out this is he will likely play next week
Not easy to cushion your fall with your right arm when you’re being slung to your left. The head would still hit the ground with force

No its just him. He's been going off non-stop about 'intentional' and 'dog act'. No idea
Will you stop going on and on. There were people claiming he's not gonna get a game ffs

Not easy to cushion your fall with your right arm when you’re being slung to your left. The head would still hit the ground with force

You would get some but he didn't even put his arm out at any point. I'm thinking he maybe lost track of things and just didn't react. Its really hard to say with any surety.

You would get some but he didn't even put his arm out at any point. I'm thinking he maybe lost track of things and just didn't react. Its really hard to say with any surety.
All very split second. It would have definitely caught him off guard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All very split second. It would have definitely caught him off guard

It almost looks like Gray didn't think he would follow through with the tackle and went limp which isn't Nyhuis' fault.

Someone compiled this on Reddit, all tackles that have earnt a suspension in the last two seasons (2017-2018).

I don't think this one is worse than any of the tackles in their album.

Feel it is on par with Grundy's.

It almost looks like Gray didn't think he would follow through with the tackle and went limp which isn't Nyhuis' fault.

If you look at it closely 2 steps out Nyhuis plants his left leg across and in front of Gray which then leverages his power and takes any ability for Gray to hold off the force of tackle. As Gray snaps that leg out Nyhuis is in the motion forward and you can see Gray's foot on the next step corkscrews into the turf and that is why IMO he had no time or body position to do anything . His only thought was on his foot .

That step across was almost like a martial arts , trip to flip move ... it was dangerous and reckless .
I am buy no means saying he intended to hurt Gray but by his actions in 3 separate parts of that tackle there was no other outcome .
3-4 weeks is what it is worth .

If you look at it closely 2 steps out Nyhuis plants his left leg across and in front of Gray which then leverages his power and takes any ability for Gray to hold off the force of tackle. As Gray snaps that leg out Nyhuis is in the motion forward and you can see Gray's foot on the next step corkscrews into the turf and that is why IMO he had no time or body position to do anything . His only thought was on his foot .

That step across was almost like a martial arts , trip to flip move ... it was dangerous and reckless .
I am buy no means saying he intended to hurt Gray but by his actions in 3 separate parts of that tackle there was no other outcome .
3-4 weeks is what it is worth .

A lot of of analysis for a split second incident.
3-4 weeks for a sling tackle with no sling? I agree it’s probably a dangerous tackle I think 1-2 weeks is plenty. But as he’s a “star” and he’s copped a head injury , AFL will just makes rules as it pleases he prob will get 3-4!
If Robbie gray tackled nyhuis I reckon a lot more people would be outraged and say it’s just good hard football.

Why didnt Nyhius get a free kick when Dixon ran in and grabbed him by the neck? High contact and holding without the ball.

Its weird that in the afternath of a report the umpires just let anything happen and never reverse the free kic.

Someone compiled this on Reddit, all tackles that have earnt a suspension in the last two seasons (2017-2018).

nice album, really puts it in perspective

It might end up at two weeks anyway. The grading brings it to 3 weeks, Nyhuis will go in and plead guilty straight away and they'll probably knock it down to two.

Very similar to Grundy's and in both cases it's big guys who had the chance to drop to their knees and use their weight to drag a guy down but instead kept their knees off the ground and in doing so lifted their opponent in to a dangerous situation.

A lot of of analysis for a split second incident.
3-4 weeks for a sling tackle with no sling? I agree it’s probably a dangerous tackle I think 1-2 weeks is plenty. But as he’s a “star” and he’s copped a head injury , AFL will just makes rules as it pleases he prob will get 3-4!
If Robbie gray tackled nyhuis I reckon a lot more people would be outraged and say it’s just good hard football.

Not really ... Michael Christian and others have just said similar on 360 and Press .
The reason i brought up the leg incident is that there are muppets saying Gray is a lair and was trying to hold onto Nyhuis instead of protecting himself .
I broke it down into facts and those facts show that he had no chance to do that because of what that initial leg sweep created
The tackle had 3 distinct parts that caused the result .

As for your argument if it was the other way around , that is lame garbage.
I am Crows fan but Port certainly do not escape media and tribunal wrath so park that ..
There have been sling tackles that have gotten 3 weeks and this is just as bad as the worst of those .
Your logic should be put in a sling , it needs something to hold it up .
BTW , the experts seem to agree with my assessment

Wasn't much of a double action there. Reckon the kid's been a bit unlucky. Not as unlucky as Gray though.

Still not sure what Nyhuis did that can be coached out if you know what I mean. Sling tackles have that distinctive double action where you brace, lift when the oppo is at most vulnerable and slam. H'es being punished because of outcome not act to some extent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back