AFLW 2018 AFLW Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the link/update P4L.

Interesting to read the interview with Maddie Prespakis and Nina Morrison after they shared the TAC Cup girls B+F award.

Morrison quite open with her excitement at the prospect of being picked up by Geelong (which strongly implies that will be her nominated region), whereas Prespakis was quite a deal cagier and not prepared to talk on the matter.
If I was to take a guess I'd reckon she will end up at Carlton next year.

Thanks for the link/update P4L.

Interesting to read the interview with Maddie Prespakis and Nina Morrison after they shared the TAC Cup girls B+F award.

Morrison quite open with her excitement at the prospect of being picked up by Geelong (which strongly implies that will be her nominated region), whereas Prespakis was quite a deal cagier and not prepared to talk on the matter.
If I was to take a guess I'd reckon she will end up at Carlton next year.
Yeah with that nominated region, the "whispers" if you like, are that Geelong are pretty keen to pick up local talent anyway. But with the whole nominating regions, the AFL will make sure it doesn't become ridiculous. For example, if Nina picked Geelong (I think she will) they still have to take her in those first two picks, they couldn't say pick her with the last pick. From what I've heard, the AFL will make sure the loophole of taking the top talent down the bottom isn't there. My value of Purcell is around that 6/7 mark for the Cats next pick coming along, so assume the AFL will tick that off as okay. But again, it depends whether she nominates the Cats, or all of Vic, or metro.

The one thing some people don't take into account re: Falcons girls, is some will be doing uni/working in Melbourne, so it could be easier to nominate metro clubs, especially if they decide to board/live in the CBD or nearby. In the same way if say a Gippsland player went to Deakin in Geelong, they would nominate the Cats only.

But in saying that, the girls want to play AFLW, so they will get a good feel for what interest there is, and you're not going to only nominate Geelong if they aren't keen on you. If they commit to you, then by all means. I'm interested to see the exact nominations, because I dare say those who nominate Geelong, will be taken by Geelong. Those who nominate the rest (from the Falcons girls) will have less interest OR be working/studying in Melbourne. I'd be shocked if Tyla Hanks nominated anything other than "Metro" as she lives Eastern Suburbs, has friends in Morwell and goes to uni in Melbourne.

Prespakis is also really close with Scott Gowans so there are some nervous people worried she will be left for North, but I get the feeling any side will take her, and if she (like any player) leaves in 12 months, well the draft is strong and you can trade into the draft with some high picks.

Really looking forward to this draft though.

I think it will be Morrison/Prespakis with 1&2, but if Prespakis nominates Metro, I think Geelong will go Morrison/Purcell OR Georgia Clarke (weigh up the interest of other clubs for that one, wouldn't be surprised if they were the three top Cats) as Clarke already plays with the VFLW and has ties with Krista Woodroffe (Rebels talent manager).

Yeah with that nominated region, the "whispers" if you like, are that Geelong are pretty keen to pick up local talent anyway. But with the whole nominating regions, the AFL will make sure it doesn't become ridiculous. For example, if Nina picked Geelong (I think she will) they still have to take her in those first two picks, they couldn't say pick her with the last pick. From what I've heard, the AFL will make sure the loophole of taking the top talent down the bottom isn't there. My value of Purcell is around that 6/7 mark for the Cats next pick coming along, so assume the AFL will tick that off as okay. But again, it depends whether she nominates the Cats, or all of Vic, or metro.

The one thing some people don't take into account re: Falcons girls, is some will be doing uni/working in Melbourne, so it could be easier to nominate metro clubs, especially if they decide to board/live in the CBD or nearby. In the same way if say a Gippsland player went to Deakin in Geelong, they would nominate the Cats only.

But in saying that, the girls want to play AFLW, so they will get a good feel for what interest there is, and you're not going to only nominate Geelong if they aren't keen on you. If they commit to you, then by all means. I'm interested to see the exact nominations, because I dare say those who nominate Geelong, will be taken by Geelong. Those who nominate the rest (from the Falcons girls) will have less interest OR be working/studying in Melbourne. I'd be shocked if Tyla Hanks nominated anything other than "Metro" as she lives Eastern Suburbs, has friends in Morwell and goes to uni in Melbourne.

Prespakis is also really close with Scott Gowans so there are some nervous people worried she will be left for North, but I get the feeling any side will take her, and if she (like any player) leaves in 12 months, well the draft is strong and you can trade into the draft with some high picks.

I think it will be Morrison/Prespakis with 1&2, but if Prespakis nominates Metro, I think Geelong will go Morrison/Purcell OR Georgia Clarke (weigh up the interest of other clubs for that one, wouldn't be surprised if they were the three top Cats) as Clarke already plays with the VFLW and has ties with Krista Woodroffe (Rebels talent manager).

Thanks P4L, very nice to have a bit of insight into the way it might play out. :thumbsu:

Morrison and Purcell have been playing very well for Geelong in the VFLW finals, would be very happy to get them onboard - huge blow for the Cats to miss out on Prespakis due to the new zoning, but tbh I think its a good system given the financial constraints of the comp.

I am not sure how they can completely close it. If they Geelong didnt take Morrison with their first, but instead took her with their second or third, what can the AFL do? Geelong can just say, we rated who we picked very highly. The AFL could probably step in if they took her last, but surely they could shuffle around their first few picks to maximise the benefit to them.

I am not sure how they can completely close it. If they Geelong didnt take Morrison with their first, but instead took her with their second or third, what can the AFL do? Geelong can just say, we rated who we picked very highly. The AFL could probably step in if they took her last, but surely they could shuffle around their first few picks to maximise the benefit to them.
The AFL just wants and even competition, and will work with clubs if need be, because it's about promotion and keeping it as even as it possibly can because the last thing it wants is some clubs destroying others and some clubs losing members this early on. I agree they can't close it completely, but they will do everything in their power to make sure they aren't exploiting it.

Now that Maddy has nominated Melbourne region, Carlton will have a VERY tough choice. Tyla Hanks has been training with them this year and had ties with them for some time, and they probably weren't expecting Maddy to be available. Have to think now Carlton takes Maddy, Collingwood picks Tyla. With Gippy coach Scott Armour working with the Pies VFLW side this season (and probably some role at the AFLW club next year), Tyla going there is likely.

Club by club picks (Victorian draft):

Carlton: 3, 12, 16, 21, 28, 29, 33
Collingwood: 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 22, 24, 34
Geelong: 1, 2, 6, 10, 15, 18, 26, 32, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50
Melbourne: 5, 11, 23, 30, 35
North Melbourne: 19, 27, 36, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49
Western Bulldogs: 7, 17, 20, 25, 31, 37

My attempt... (I'm fairly confident with top 6, assume Blues take Maddy and Tyla goes to Pies, but could go other way around)

1 - Geelong - Nina Morrison
2 - Geelong - Olivia Purcell
3 - Carlton - Maddy Prespakis
4 - Collingwood - Tyla Hanks
5 - Melbourne - Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 - Geelong - Georgia Clarke
7 - Western Bulldogs - ? Mikala Cann
8 - Collingwood - Katie Lynch
9 - Collingwood - Daisy Bateman
10 - Geelong - Denby Taylor

Club by club picks (Victorian draft):

Carlton: 3, 12, 16, 21, 28, 29, 33
Collingwood: 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 22, 24, 34
Geelong: 1, 2, 6, 10, 15, 18, 26, 32, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50
Melbourne: 5, 11, 23, 30, 35
North Melbourne: 19, 27, 36, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49
Western Bulldogs: 7, 17, 20, 25, 31, 37

My attempt... (I'm fairly confident with top 6, assume Blues take Maddy and Tyla goes to Pies, but could go other way around)

1 - Geelong - Nina Morrison
2 - Geelong - Olivia Purcell
3 - Carlton - Maddy Prespakis
4 - Collingwood - Tyla Hanks
5 - Melbourne - Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 - Geelong - Georgia Clarke
7 - Western Bulldogs - ? Mikala Cann
8 - Collingwood - Katie Lynch
9 - Collingwood - Daisy Bateman
10 - Geelong - Denby Taylor
Can see the blues prefering hanks after her season in VFLW with them. Either way looks like Collingwood is going to absolutely clean up in the top 10

Can see the blues prefering hanks after her season in VFLW with them. Either way looks like Collingwood is going to absolutely clean up in the top 10
I kind of agree. Collingwood might be confident with Chloe Molloy and Sarah Dargan, they can bring in Maddy and have that support base in there. Clubs think long-term and if Carlton thinks it has more chance of Tyla than Maddy (if North whispers are true) then of course they will go there.

I kind of agree. Collingwood might be confident with Chloe Molloy and Sarah Dargan, they can bring in Maddy and have that support base in there. Clubs think long-term and if Carlton thinks it has more chance of Tyla than Maddy (if North whispers are true) then of course they will go there.
Holly Whitford is also very good friends with Prespakis, I think Collingwood have a better chance of holding onto her as you said with that base there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when talking about the 2019 and 2020 drafts, there are still potential players who aren't even on the radar as yet but still have time to switch from other sports at elite levels.

when talking about the 2019 and 2020 drafts, there are still potential players who aren't even on the radar as yet but still have time to switch from other sports at elite levels.
Absolutely. I think for the next 5-10 years we'll still see players come across from Netball/ Gaelic that become some of the better players in the league, like Staunton this year. I expect Sharni Layton to have a similar impact in the ruck this coming season

Yep, quality is only going to get better, as is the depth available. As it needs to with the expanded teams coming into the competition. Exciting times.

Yep, quality is only going to get better, as is the depth available. As it needs to with the expanded teams coming into the competition. Exciting times.

yep and although some will argue that the quality wont get better if girls who are getting drafted haven't played much, I would disagree with them. Female footy doesn't have to emulate the male game. there are some wonderful talented girls who might not be the best kick but still bring something really good to the game. the established pathways of basketball, netball, hockey etc have often been the chosen one for the current 14-17 year old females but this will all change. This year in WA they have the first "development squads' for 14-16 year olds much like the boys so there now is a recognised pathway so this is all positive for the upcoming draft years.

Geelong:

Nina Morrison
Olivia Purcell
Denby Taylor
Georgia Clarke
Rebecca Webster

That's a nice little haul Cursed_Cat

certainly is, I like Webster a lot - admittedly I haven't seen much of Clarke at all ... I'd say Geelong will take more women from their VFLW squad with later picks, could be wrong, but Bec Goring (VFLW skipper) implied as much the other day ..

Yesterday I caught up with 17 women who are taking part of the Crosscoders program.

Most are from Ireland with two each from the USA and UK, and one each from Fiji, Canada and France.

Some are eligble for the rookie contract, while a couple have to go in the draft due to already playing club footy in Australia.

Small note... last night the Internationals took on a team of Victorian draft hopefuls... and beat them 6.8.44 to 0.5.5!

Yesterday I caught up with 17 women who are taking part of the Crosscoders program.

Most are from Ireland with two each from the USA and UK, and one each from Fiji, Canada and France.

Some are eligble for the rookie contract, while a couple have to go in the draft due to already playing club footy in Australia.

Small note... last night the Internationals took on a team of Victorian draft hopefuls... and beat them 6.8.44 to 0.5.5!

Very interesting.

Do you know the median no. of contact AF games played by the Crosscoders ( I know a few have hardly played any AF)?

Ditto the VFLW players who played against the Crosscoders? Also, their median no. of junior AF games?

I assume the Crosscoders were, on average, far more athletic. How could they defeat the VFLW players so easily/what happened to the (embarrassed) Aussie sheilas? Were the VFLW players "easing up" on their tackles?
Is there any vision of this game on a site? There should be!

EDIT:
This article provides further information on the Crosscoders' extraordinary journey.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20180926231439940

Last edited:
PLAYERS TAKING PART IN THE CROSSCODERS PROGRAM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-19/aflw-crosscoders-out-to-win-rookie-contract

Canada

• Nicola Kirwan, 30 years old, Etobicoke Kangaroos (Australian Football) and Northern Lights (national Australian Football team)
Fiji

• Matelita Tuilevuka, 24, AFL Fiji
France

• Coline Duquet, 25, Darebin Falcons, Paris Cockerelles and European Crusaders
Ireland:

• Muireann Atkinson, 21, O'Neill Shamrocks Gaelic Football
  • Ailish Considine, 26, Clare Gaelic Football and AFL Ireland West Clare Waves
  • Mairead Coyne, 29, Ireland's national rugby union and handball teams
  • Aisling Curley, 24, Moorefield GAA club and Kildare Gaelic Football Association
  • Eimear Gallagher, 18, Red Hughs Gaelic Football
  • Amanda Maginn, 26, St Kilda Sharks and the Irish Banshees (national Australian Football team)
  • Aisling McCarthy, 22, Tipperary Gaelic Football
  • Yvonne McMonagle, 31, Donegal Gaelic Football
  • Mary Ryan, 30, Tipperary camogie (hurling)
  • Aishling Sheridan, 22, Cavan Gaelic Football
  • Fiadhna Tangney, 17, Kerry Gaelic Football
UK

• Frankie Hocking (England), 29, Newton Breakaways (Sydney) and Great Britain Swans (national Australian Football team)
  • Nia Jones (Wales), 25, Welsh national netball and soccer teams
USA

• Amelia Kahr, 26, Seattle Grizzlies and gridiron
  • April Lewis, 28, Seattle Grizzlies and athletics

Terrific interviews, this is just the start, very exciting times ahead.

One can see all clubs carrying around 3 overseas players on a playing list of around 30, or 10% of total playing numbers being overseas players across the whole league.

Emerson Woods smashed the 20m sprint with 3.129 seconds - that's lightning considering the record was more than a tenth of a second later. Mikala Cann didn't test which was disappointing, she would have flown as well. Nina Morrison also easily won the Yo-Yo test with an 18.2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back