AFLW 2018 AFLW Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Thought it was appropriate to start this thread as yesterday the AFLW Academy defeated Geelong VFLW side

Geelong: 2.0 - 12
AA: 9.6 - 60

Madison Prespakis (Calder Cannons) and Denby Taylor (Geelong Falcons) from the AA squad both kicked two goals.

Some standout prospects so far this year from my view:

Madison Prespakis (Calder Cannons)
Midfielder/Forward
One of the best players to have ever been in the TAC Girls program, in my opinion, she's head and shoulders above where Chloe Molloy and Monique Conti were which is a massive compliment.

Jordyn Allen (Dandenong Stingrays)
Midfielder
The life of the Dandenong team she seems to be involved in every bit of play Dandenong make. watching her in round 1 I saw her play everywhere on field and didn't put a foot wrong, controls the game really well with ball in hand

Emerson Woods (Eastern Ranges)
Midfielder/Forward
Very good midfielder for the Eastern Ranges, reads the game really well and is damaging with her disposal, my personal favourite in TAC Girls

Denby Taylor (Geelong Falcons)
Utility
Strong player that impacts the scoreboard, dangerous with her leading and a genuine goal threat anywhere in the 50. If I was coaching her I'd stick her in the forward line and not look back but she has shown she can play just about everywhere

Any contribution to this thread is encouraged!

I was about to start a thread myself but I'll contribute here:

1 Madison Prespakis (Calder Cannons)

The clear standout player in the TAC Cup Girls competition. Would have been in the picture for #1 last year with the top three, and has not put a foot wrong this season. She is so strong despite being a small player, moves well through the midfield and just has an impact everywhere she goes. Can turn a game going forward and kick a couple of goals against dominant opposition too.

2 Tyla Hanks (Gippsland Power)

I've seen quite a bit of Tyla this season and have her in that next spot because I think as we saw with the AFLW Academy match against Geelong, she is equally as good through the midfield and up forward. I think her goal sense from a standing start and ability to stand up when her team needs her is vital. At least twice this season the momentum was against the Power and Hanks was the instigator to get it going again.

3 Olivia Purcell (Geelong Falcons)

I feel like she's a bit underrated externally, but she's hot on the heels of the top two. She's a hard nut through the middle and wins a truckload of the ball. Can win it inside or out, but because she's predominantly played midfield she has been the player to just win the hard ball and shovel it out to teammates. She's a player who some might not know as well coming into AFLW because unlike the top two, she's one of many Falcons players to stand out, but she's a gem.

4 Rebecca Webster (Murray Bushragers)

The bigger body of the top midfielders, Webster really came to the fore at the AFLW match against Geelong. Webster was in the best IMO with Prespakis and Hanks, and being taller, she is also stronger. I saw against the GWV Rebels at one stage she fended off two players consecutively with the "don't argue". Has a raking kick on her two who can launch goals from outside 50.

5 Nina Morrison (Geelong Falcons)

Tackling machine. Pace to burn. That's Nina Morrison in a nut shell. She hunts the football and her opponents when in possession. A no fuss player who just bursts around the ground and has an impact through the midfield or up forward, Morrison just loves the defensive stuff. She's frantic with the way she lays fierce tackles and is good in close. Would not be surprised to see her feature high in the draft at all.

6 Georgia Macpherson (Eastern Ranges)

Safest hands in the competition. A one-grab player who positions herself so well off half-back and reads the play well. Often hits the contests at full speed and uses her penetrating kick to kick long. Not too dissimilar to Chloe Molloy in the way she wins one-on-ones and is smart with where she stands. Kicking could be sharpened up, but was in contention for a top pick early in the season IMO and still a top player. At 172cm, a good size for defender.

7 Georgia Clarke (GWV Rebels)

Tested at both ends but clearly centre-half back is where she is suited. Good in the air or at ground level, she can move up the ground and is a safe grab and good at disposing of it out of the defensive 50. Quite mobile as well which helps, and I'd be shocked if she wasn't All-Australian centre-half back come season's end.

8 Jordyn Allen (Dandenong Stingrays)

Footy IQ is through the roof. Her best position is off half-back and along the wing because she plays that quarterback role to perfection. Good overhead and takes a truckload of intercept marks. She lives for the big moments and often stands up in crunch games, such as the last quarter against Sandringham Dragons where she was thrown forward, took a huge contested mark and booted an important goal.

9 Sophie Van De Heuvel (GWV Rebels)

Probably the classiest player in the draft, Van De Heuvel comes from a dual-sport background sharing her time with her cricket commitments. She is a fantastic user of the ball and while she does not win as much of it as others, she rarely wastes it. Plays a fair bit off half-forward and kicks goals that Mo Hope would be proud of. A player with a high ceiling.

10 Denby Taylor (Geelong Falcons)

I was impressed with her as a defender, but seeing her go forward in the AFLW Academy match and have an impact, I was throughly impressed. I think she could be higher on my list come season's end, but she's certainly right up there for her influence on a contest and ability to play at both ends. Strong hands and a reliable kick of the football.

Others (no particular order):

Katie Lynch (Oakleigh Chargers)
- Many might not have seen her play due to Carey Grammar's strict school football commitments (all other girls schools let them play TAC, Lynch will miss the final few games including last round). Has had her fair share of injuries too, but as a taller player, she stands out on the field and is big enough to play ruck, but moves like a midfielder. She's that X-factor.

Eleanor Brown (Sandringham Dragons) - Think Andrew Gaff in the sense Brown plays that outside role well. Takes a heap of marks and moves well in transition. Has drifted to half-back at times and reads the play well. Takes the game on and is not afraid to run.

Emerson Woods (Eastern Ranges) - I'll admit at the start of the season I was excited to see her play, but she did not blow me away like I had hoped. However, by the AFLW Academy game and then the last few matches I've seen her, I see what the fuss is about. Her hands in close are great and her vision is top notch. I think she has a role winning the ball and distributing it out to running teammates.

Rene Caris (GWV Rebels) - A 19 year-old, Caris will be the oldest Victorian player at the National Under 18 Championships (as only one is allowed). An AFLW Academy member, Caris has a soft touch in the ruck and is smart when finding her teammates. Still has consistency to work on, but as far as rucks go, she and Geelong's Zoe Inei are the two rucks to watch.

Mikala Cann (Eastern Ranges) - Lightning quick coming from an athletics background, she has shown signs throughout the season of what she is capable of through the middle. Against Murray last weekend, she pulled out all the tricks from her bag, booting a goal on the run under pressure, setting a couple more up and just burning off her opponents. Another one with X-factor that could be anything.

Happy to help with more if anyone has a specific question, but don't want to go full "boys" type thing because trying to work out who is in the mix or not this far out is hard enough without factoring in mature agers for the girls.

:

I've seen quite a bit of Tyla this season and have her in that next spot because I think as we saw with the AFLW Academy match against Geelong, she is equally as good through the midfield and up forward. I think her goal sense from a standing start and ability to stand up when her team needs her is vital. At least twice this season the momentum was against the Power and Hanks was the instigator to get it going again.

Rene Caris (GWV Rebels) - A 19 year-old, Caris will be the oldest Victorian player at the National Under 18 Championships (as only one is allowed). An AFLW Academy member, Caris has a soft touch in the ruck and is smart when finding her teammates. Still has consistency to work on, but as far as rucks go, she and Geelong's Zoe Inei are the two rucks to watch..

Both are part of Carlton VFLW team. or Just wishful

Both are part of Carlton VFLW team. or Just wishful
No club has any special advantage like an Academy bidding system over them. Hanks won't last to Carlton's first pick with the new sides coming in. Quite seriously I'd be surprised if she dropped out of the top three Vic picks (unless clubs decide to go tall). She and Prespakis are the equivalent of the Huntington/Molloy discussion last season. Prespakis probably edges her, but both are complete guns. Carlton would need to trade for one of the top couple of picks to make it a reality. Caris is more likely, but again, rucks and especially lightly framed rucks are hard to pick. I'm interested to see how she goes against mature bodies in the VFLW, will tell time. Hanks will be fine in the VFLW and no doubt standout ala Molloy/Conti.

Emerson Woods (Eastern Ranges) - I'll admit at the start of the season I was excited to see her play, but she did not blow me away like I had hoped. However, by the AFLW Academy game and then the last few matches I've seen her, I see what the fuss is about. Her hands in close are great and her vision is top notch. I think she has a role winning the ball and distributing it out to running teammates.

Accurate assessment, I think she's a real X-Factor player and given the right guidance, whether that be from current elite midfielders or good coaching staff, could turn out to be the best from this draft. Consistency is the biggest knock on her at the moment and sits probably just out of the first round

Accurate assessment, I think she's a real X-Factor player and given the right guidance, whether that be from current elite midfielders or good coaching staff, could turn out to be the best from this draft. Consistency is the biggest knock on her at the moment and sits probably just out of the first round
Yeah the first game I watched her at Beaconsfield I was so excited but she just lacked that consistency and I guess "mind-blowing" ability. She does tend to play a lot of her football at half-forward for the Ranges pinch-hitting in the midfield, but yet I feel she really turns it on when in the midfield like we saw at the AFLW Academy game. Her hands remind me a bit of Matt Crouch when he was at the Rebels. She's more athletic than him, but just the ability to get and go before being tackled is very good.

I really don't know how she is compared to players from Victoria but Janet Baird is the Northern Territory's best prospect. Captained the Under-18 side this year and is playing for the NT Thunder women side in the VFLW. Also won the NTFL Women's Rising Star award last season at 17 and came in the top 5 of the league best and fairest. She's a medium defender who can play tall or small and has great game sense.

I really don't know how she is compared to players from Victoria but Janet Baird is the Northern Territory's best prospect. Captained the Under-18 side this year and is playing for the NT Thunder women side in the VFLW. Also won the NTFL Women's Rising Star award last season at 17 and came in the top 5 of the league best and fairest. She's a medium defender who can play tall or small and has great game sense.
We'll get a better read over the course of the VFLW season, I'd imagine she nominates for Adelaide anyway so where she ranks in comparison to Vic prospects won't have much bearing

I was about to start a thread myself but I'll contribute here:

1 Madison Prespakis (Calder Cannons)

The clear standout player in the TAC Cup Girls competition. Would have been in the picture for #1 last year with the top three, and has not put a foot wrong this season. She is so strong despite being a small player, moves well through the midfield and just has an impact everywhere she goes. Can turn a game going forward and kick a couple of goals against dominant opposition too.

3 Olivia Purcell (Geelong Falcons)

I feel like she's a bit underrated externally, but she's hot on the heels of the top two. She's a hard nut through the middle and wins a truckload of the ball. Can win it inside or out, but because she's predominantly played midfield she has been the player to just win the hard ball and shovel it out to teammates. She's a player who some might not know as well coming into AFLW because unlike the top two, she's one of many Falcons players to stand out, but she's a gem.

4 Rebecca Webster (Murray Bushragers)

The bigger body of the top midfielders, Webster really came to the fore at the AFLW match against Geelong. Webster was in the best IMO with Prespakis and Hanks, and being taller, she is also stronger. I saw against the GWV Rebels at one stage she fended off two players consecutively with the "don't argue". Has a raking kick on her two who can launch goals from outside 50.

5 Nina Morrison (Geelong Falcons)

Tackling machine. Pace to burn. That's Nina Morrison in a nut shell. She hunts the football and her opponents when in possession. A no fuss player who just bursts around the ground and has an impact through the midfield or up forward, Morrison just loves the defensive stuff. She's frantic with the way she lays fierce tackles and is good in close. Would not be surprised to see her feature high in the draft at all.

6 Georgia Macpherson (Eastern Ranges)

Safest hands in the competition. A one-grab player who positions herself so well off half-back and reads the play well. Often hits the contests at full speed and uses her penetrating kick to kick long. Not too dissimilar to Chloe Molloy in the way she wins one-on-ones and is smart with where she stands. Kicking could be sharpened up, but was in contention for a top pick early in the season IMO and still a top player. At 172cm, a good size for defender.

7 Georgia Clarke (GWV Rebels)

Tested at both ends but clearly centre-half back is where she is suited. Good in the air or at ground level, she can move up the ground and is a safe grab and good at disposing of it out of the defensive 50. Quite mobile as well which helps, and I'd be shocked if she wasn't All-Australian centre-half back come season's end.

8 Jordyn Allen (Dandenong Stingrays)

Footy IQ is through the roof. Her best position is off half-back and along the wing because she plays that quarterback role to perfection. Good overhead and takes a truckload of intercept marks. She lives for the big moments and often stands up in crunch games, such as the last quarter against Sandringham Dragons where she was thrown forward, took a huge contested mark and booted an important goal.

9 Sophie Van De Heuvel (GWV Rebels)

Probably the classiest player in the draft, Van De Heuvel comes from a dual-sport background sharing her time with her cricket commitments. She is a fantastic user of the ball and while she does not win as much of it as others, she rarely wastes it. Plays a fair bit off half-forward and kicks goals that Mo Hope would be proud of. A player with a high ceiling.

10 Denby Taylor (Geelong Falcons)

I was impressed with her as a defender, but seeing her go forward in the AFLW Academy match and have an impact, I was throughly impressed. I think she could be higher on my list come season's end, but she's certainly right up there for her influence on a contest and ability to play at both ends. Strong hands and a reliable kick of the football.

Others (no particular order):

Katie Lynch (Oakleigh Chargers)
- Many might not have seen her play due to Carey Grammar's strict school football commitments (all other girls schools let them play TAC, Lynch will miss the final few games including last round). Has had her fair share of injuries too, but as a taller player, she stands out on the field and is big enough to play ruck, but moves like a midfielder. She's that X-factor.

Eleanor Brown (Sandringham Dragons) - Think Andrew Gaff in the sense Brown plays that outside role well. Takes a heap of marks and moves well in transition. Has drifted to half-back at times and reads the play well. Takes the game on and is not afraid to run.

Rene Caris (GWV Rebels) - A 19 year-old, Caris will be the oldest Victorian player at the National Under 18 Championships (as only one is allowed). An AFLW Academy member, Caris has a soft touch in the ruck and is smart when finding her teammates. Still has consistency to work on, but as far as rucks go, she and Geelong's Zoe Inei are the two rucks to watch.

Mikala Cann (Eastern Ranges) - Lightning quick coming from an athletics background, she has shown signs throughout the season of what she is capable of through the middle. Against Murray last weekend, she pulled out all the tricks from her bag, booting a goal on the run under pressure, setting a couple more up and just burning off her opponents. Another one with X-factor that could be anything.

Happy to help with more if anyone has a specific question, but don't want to go full "boys" type thing because trying to work out who is in the mix or not this far out is hard enough without factoring in mature agers for the girls.

Really informative post; can I expect an update post-U18 championships?

I'm just watching a replay of the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game; straight away I assumed #6 for Metro was Prepaskis ... her opposite number, #6 for Vic Country, really stood out for her skills and tenacity too, came back to double check your post and sure enough you had rated Tyla Hanks highly too.

As a Cats fan I'm pretty excited that we could potentially draft a bunch of really talented girls for our debut season; Prepaskis and Hanks in the same side would be brilliant - similar types of players in a way from the tiny bit that I've seen, too ..

Really informative post; can I expect an update post-U18 championships?

I'm just watching a replay of the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game; straight away I assumed #6 for Metro was Prepaskis ... her opposite number, #6 for Vic Country, really stood out for her skills and tenacity too, came back to double check your post and sure enough you had rated Tyla Hanks highly too.

As a Cats fan I'm pretty excited that we could potentially draft a bunch of really talented girls for our debut season; Prepaskis and Hanks in the same side would be brilliant - similar types of players in a way from the tiny bit that I've seen, too ..

Thanks mate. I’m travelling to the GC and will see all nine games so can certainly give an update. Both those two girls are the clear standouts for mine though. After that it gets interesting.

Thanks mate. I’m travelling to the GC and will see all nine games so can certainly give an update. Both those two girls are the clear standouts for mine though. After that it gets interesting.

wasn't expecting such a quick reply; much obliged!

appreciate your earlier write-up and will very much look forward to the update.

I won't pretend to be any kind of an expert or informed poster in regards to potential draftees, and I've only been able to watch a few games of Geelong's VFLW team over the past two years. Grew to enjoy watching the Bulldogs and Lions since the AFLW kicked off, but very much looking forward to Geelong's inclusion to the comp.

Obviously I'm biased in my interest in their draft position, but even as a neutral it must be somewhat interesting to see what a team will do with such a strong hand.

Geelong have some reasonably handy talls already listed, so imo they can afford to go hard at the mids early on; if all things line up I can easily see them taking Prepaskis and Hanks at 1 & 2 ...

thanks again, enjoy the GC trip :thumbsu:

Keep us updated, expecting a few changes in your rankings afterwards as some girls have hit some great form in VFLW and should carry it into the champs

Keep us updated, expecting a few changes in your rankings afterwards as some girls have hit some great form in VFLW and should carry it into the champs
There's a lot of depth in the girls compared to last year. That goes deeper next year, then the year after. Within a few years, I believe many followers will be just as excited about the female talent coming through as the male ones.

Gabby Newton (utility who can literally play anywhere) and Ellie McKenzie (mid/forward who has played some footy back) (both Northern products) are my predictions for the number one pick the next two years. But they are not alone, Georgia Patrikios (creative forward at Calder - 2019 eligible) and Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets KPD - 2020 eligible) are others who will be names to remember over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of depth in the girls compared to last year. That goes deeper next year, then the year after. Within a few years, I believe many followers will be just as excited about the female talent coming through as the male ones.

Gabby Newton (utility who can literally play anywhere) and Ellie McKenzie (mid/forward who has played some footy back) (both Northern products) are my predictions for the number one pick the next two years. But they are not alone, Georgia Patrikios (creative forward at Calder - 2019 eligible) and Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets KPD - 2020 eligible) are others who will be names to remember over the next few years.

Georgia Patrikios really stood out in that Vic Metro v Vic Country game, as did Sophie Van De Heuvel for Country, whom you mentioned in your earlier post.
Little Daisy Bateman was good up forward for Vic Metro.

Lynch for Metro, and both Morrison and Harvey for Country; all good players from what I saw ..

Georgia Patrikios really stood out in that Vic Metro v Vic Country game, as did Sophie Van De Heuvel for Country, whom you mentioned in your earlier post.
Little Daisy Bateman was good up forward for Vic Metro.

Lynch for Metro, and both Morrison and Harvey for Country; all good players from what I saw ..
Morrison is a monty to get drafted - probably top 5. I've got SVDH in that 8-15 bracket, while Bateman is an interesting one. She gets drafted, but she's one of those players that could bolt up the order if someone takes a punt, or perhaps be a late value pick. Lynch as I showed above I have about that top 10 range, maybe just outside. Julia Harvey is one I'm intrigued about because she offers great speed and tackling pressure, it was just whether she had the skills/hurt factor of some of the other players. Had played predominantly forward in the TAC with stints in the midfield, but I was certainly impressed from her game on that weekend.

Can not wait for the 2020 AFLW draft, so many of them have killed it this year in TAC.
Amazing the quality of players coming in such a short amount of time since the AFLW inception.

Can not wait for the 2020 AFLW draft, so many of them have killed it this year in TAC.
Amazing the quality of players coming in such a short amount of time since the AFLW inception.
Agreed. Coming into the U16 Champs I had identified seven players as having elite potential (we're talking Chloe Molloy/Monique Conti etc. potential), and then next two on the list (#8 and #9) ended up being two of the best across the games, so the depth runs deep as well.

Have you seen many Youth Girls attempt hangers? And deliberately attempt torps for distance?

I believe, to give the AFLW more "footy street cred", and to provide AFLW highlights/increase its general support from the average footy fan, hangers and torps (after extensive training) should be heavily encouraged. Your views?

Thought this write up deserved to go here for consideration. From a blog on AFLW, its a write up of a VFLW all star team based on the half way point. It is a team that excludes current AFLW listed players. Point mentioned in it worth repeating. Prespakis after her first 2 VFLW games has the highest average dreamtime points rating of any player in the comp.

https://aflw411.wordpress.com/2018/07/04/vflw-team-of-the-year-half-time/

Have you seen many Youth Girls attempt hangers? And deliberately attempt torps for distance?

I believe, to give the AFLW more "footy street cred", and to provide AFLW highlights/increase its general support from the average footy fan, hangers and torps (after extensive training) should be heavily encouraged. Your views?

There’s a few hangers, not as often as in the TAC Cup but it does happen, pack marks and big leaps. Torps not as much because of teaching them to kick technically correct first before branching out but there is the odd one.

Watched the last five minutes of the first half between Queensland and Vic Country U18s, in which Lucy McEvoy kicked three quick goals for the latter (one of them very nice). Wooshna type mould, I guess, and can only assume she's averaging 36 goals per game based on what I've seen. Serviceable.

As a few interesting notes, I reckon if Alyce Parker was in Victoria, she'd be right up there with Prespakis and Hanks for that top pick. Just oozes class and glides around the field. Probably the smoothest mover in the draft crop, so the Giants are getting a beauty there.

Really like the look of Lily Postlethwaite and Zimmorlei Farquharson for Queensland. McKenzie Dowrick was superb as expected for WA, Kate Bartlett surely gets a chance as an overager, she looks too good not to get a look-in, and Shannon Whale, although limited exposure due to a defensive role, her kicking is elite. Quite a bit of talent in that WA side, there's half a dozen I could see contribute at AFLW level next season at least.

My biggest disappointment I guess you'd say was the Central Allies. It's only gameday one, but no-one really blew me away. Nikki Gore had the ball on a string and Katelyn Rosenzweig was good in attack, but I was expecting big things, so hopefully the next two games are step ups because Eastern Allies controlled the game for most of it.

Vic Country v Qld. Lopsided score, but Qld played much better than the scores indicate.

Having watched 2 games now, can also say that the basic skills or tackling, protecting yourself when you put your head over the ball, finding an outlet even when under pressure, are much more developed and consistent than the AFLW. At this stage they lack the endurance and physicality of the AFLW, but when they get it, there is a lot of players in this carnival that are going to be very good AFLW players. Those predicting a drop in standard due to expansion are wrong imop, there is a LOT of very good footballers coming through.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-06-09/aflw-u18-queensland-v-vic-country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back