Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent post! You can add the umpires too like Emerson and Hair for taking the law into their own hands to call Murali for throwing.

But Murali WAS chucking. Every umpire thought so, they were the only 2 who had the balls to call him. Had nothing to do with Cricket Australia.

I'm coaching the 15's this year and have loved and coached and played all my life.. I feel this will be my last year (46) what happened in S.Africa has totally clouded and gutted my love and passion for the game. In my circles at lower levels dstrict etc, I am not the only one.

With all due respect this is just absolutely mystifying to me. Cricket has gone through far, far worse and has moved on as evidenced by an intriguing couple of test series over in England.

I'm coaching the 15's this year and have loved and coached and played all my life.. I feel this will be my last year (46) what happened in S.Africa has totally clouded and gutted my love and passion for the game. In my circles at lower levels dstrict etc, I am not the only one.
I bet Dinesh Chandimal ball tampering just a couple of months later didn't help either. Or was there not enough media hysteria around that case for it cloud and gut your love and passion for cricket?

It must be real low levels of district cricket because anyone who has been around any sort of grade cricket would know how often ball tampering occurs and if it really effected them would have given up on the game a long time ago. I'm surprised give your age you didn't give up your love for cricket after New Zealand used bottle caps on the ball in 1990 or Atherton ball tampering in 1994.

I do not care about other countries, this thread is about Australian cricket culture:rolleyes:. Australians have except for the underarm incident held the game in high regard. A few have managed to tarnish our image and it will be a helluva long time before My passion is restored. You talk about my age and what grade cricket I coach/play! How dare you. I have been playing and coaching for a long time and am voicing my opinion!

I do not care about other countries, this thread is about Australian cricket culture:rolleyes:. Australians have except for the underarm incident held the game in high regard. A few have managed to tarnish our image and it will be a helluva long time before My passion is restored. You talk about my age and what grade cricket I coach/play! How dare you. I have been playing and coaching for a long time and am voicing my opinion!
But how can you be so outraged about this incident without putting it in the greater context of international cricket? There have been plenty of incidents since the underarm incident where cricketers both Australian and foreign have done things much worse then this. * me Lillee and Marsh openly bet against their own side in the 1981 Ashes. You also didn't say you lost your passion and love for the Australian Cricket Team which I could sort of understand, you said you have lost your passion for the game of cricket and that seems bizarre to me given some of things that have happened in cricket in your time following.

How has this incident and this incident only totally clouded and gutted your love and passion for the game when other incidents have not?

Every time I think the game is losing it's magic for me I think about all the Tests I've seen where there's been a result or even a tight draw late on the fifth day, or someone's made a hundred I'll never and how that makes me feel. To me no other game can come close to matching that, and until something can I'm lumbered with it, through thick and thin.

But how can you be so outraged about this incident without putting it in the greater context of international cricket? There have been plenty of incidents since the underarm incident where cricketers both Australian and foreign have done things much worse then this. **** me Lillee and Marsh openly bet against their own side in the 1981 Ashes. You also didn't say you lost your passion and love for the Australian Cricket Team which I could sort of understand, you said you have lost your passion for the game of cricket and that seems bizarre to me given some of things that have happened in cricket in your time following.

How has this incident and this incident only totally clouded and gutted your love and passion for the game when other incidents have not?

Why does everything have to be judged against others' standards?

Does domestic violence get over-criticised in Australia because in other countries it's considered acceptable to make your spouse's life a living hell?

Seriously think about your logic here.

You cannot be the world police of a sport, its self-appointed moral compass, answer-to-a-question-no-one-asked, and then try and play down the idea of a player taking actual hardware on the field with the express, pre-meditated idea of cheating.

I don't go for Australia and never have - but the whole episode left me shattered. It's not what Australian representatives on the cricket field do. But they did it.

Why does everything have to be judged against others' standards?

Does domestic violence get over-criticised in Australia because in other countries it's considered acceptable to make your spouse's life a living hell?

Seriously think about your logic here.

You cannot be the world police of a sport, its self-appointed moral compass, answer-to-a-question-no-one-asked, and then try and play down the idea of a player taking actual hardware on the field with the express, pre-meditated idea of cheating.

I don't go for Australia and never have - but the whole episode left me shattered. It's not what Australian representatives on the cricket field do. But they did it.
You cheer against Australia in every contest and that's fine - I do that with other teams in other sports - but surely your reason for hating them is because you think they behave worse then every other team? Are you then not judging the Australian sides against others to form that viewpoint?

When you write about Australia being the "world police of a sport, its self-appointed moral compass, answer-to-a-question-no-one-asked" is that in reference to the team, the captains, Australian cricket culture as a whole?

I respect your views on cricket PhatBoy as I feel you are one of the only people I have come across who would watch as much international cricket as I do so I find it funny that we can have such opposing views about how Australia fits into that wider cricket culture.

My point in response to BLUEALLTHRU was to ask the question why this incident and this incident only has ruined cricket totally for him as opposed to a multitude of other incidents that have occurred in cricket in his time following.

If one holds cricket in such high regard that someone ball tampering makes you fall out of love with the sport, you've had your head in the sand about that sport for a long time.

But how can you be so outraged about this incident without putting it in the greater context of international cricket? There have been plenty of incidents since the underarm incident where cricketers both Australian and foreign have done things much worse then this. **** me Lillee and Marsh openly bet against their own side in the 1981 Ashes. You also didn't say you lost your passion and love for the Australian Cricket Team which I could sort of understand, you said you have lost your passion for the game of cricket and that seems bizarre to me given some of things that have happened in cricket in your time following.

It's unAustralian and I derive my love for cricket watching us play within the rules and we did not. It's unacceptable to me. Goodbye..

You cheer against Australia in every contest and that's fine - I do that with other teams in other sports - but surely your reason for hating them is because you think they behave worse then every other team? Are you then not judging the Australian sides against others to form that viewpoint?

When you write about Australia being the "world police of a sport, its self-appointed moral compass, answer-to-a-question-no-one-asked" is that in reference to the team, the captains, Australian cricket culture as a whole?

I respect your views on cricket PhatBoy as I feel you are one of the only people I have come across who would watch as much international cricket as I do so I find it funny that we can have such opposing views about how Australia fits into that wider cricket culture.

My point in response to BLUEALLTHRU was to ask the question why this incident and this incident only has ruined cricket totally for him as opposed to a multitude of other incidents that have occurred in cricket in his time following.

If one holds cricket in such high regard that someone ball tampering makes you fall out of love with the sport, you've had your head in the sand about that sport for a long time.

For one, I find Australia's general attitude and approach as unpalatable, but within the rules. Same as finding Melbourne's approach to league as a bit against the spirit of the sport but perfectly within the rules - the wrestling, slowing down the play etc. i can still respect a lot of things about the storm. And one of the things that I begrudgingly respected about Australia was that they were within the bounds of the sport, tough, never giving up etc. hard to like, but hard not to respect.

Perhaps that's the best way I can explain it.

You missed IMHO at the front of this sentence, get used to the fact that yours is but one opinion, not THE opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You missed IMHO at the front of this sentence, get used to the fact that yours is but one opinion, not THE opinion.
I'm sorry I thought given this was a subjective matter that it would be clear that this was my opinion. My apologies you are correct I should have written that and I my language was probably too emotive towards the posters views.

However if I can't question the validity of the underlying views that make up an opinion how am I suppose to understand that opinion? I wasn't questioning his right to have that opinion, just the substance of it. And when the opinion is as strong as to give up on an entire sport due to one incident, that's something I would like to question.

I'm sorry I thought given this was a subjective matter that it would be clear that this was my opinion. My apologies you are correct I should have written that and I my language was probably too emotive towards the posters views.

However if I can't question the validity of the underlying views that make up an opinion how am I suppose to understand that opinion? I wasn't questioning his right to have that opinion, just the substance of it. And when the opinion is as strong as to give up on an entire sport due to one incident, that's something I would like to question.

All good, I do remember my initial reaction was no way. Equally I well remember my reaction to the Lillee & Marsh bet as being 'the bloody nerve of them'. The vagaries of our reactions are individual particularly when rusted on - mine are.

It's unAustralian and I derive my love for cricket watching us play within the rules and we did not. It's unacceptable to me. Goodbye..

Did you stop following footy when Carlton were found to have systematically broken the salary cap rules?
Did you care when Symonds basically middled one through to the keeper and stood there deadpan?
The game got through the tragedy of Phil Hughes. It got through Cronje & Azharuddin. It got through Salman, Amir & Asif. It got through the Indian temper tantrum after the Harbhajan / Symonds racism. It got through Dan Worrall marking a dick and balls in the pitch.

Frankly it honest sounds like you are being hysterically righteous. The game comprises of failable human beings, no different to you or I. It already has moved on.

What happened in Cape Town was pathetic. But all players have copped their whack. CA has taken a battering in the public and press. There's been countless incidents of ball tampering and line breaking in the past - there always has (whether they wear the Aussie halo or not) and will continue to be in the future.

I bet Dinesh Chandimal ball tampering just a couple of months later didn't help either. Or was there not enough media hysteria around that case for it cloud and gut your love and passion for cricket?

It must be real low levels of district cricket because anyone who has been around any sort of grade cricket would know how often ball tampering occurs and if it really effected them would have given up on the game a long time ago. I'm surprised give your age you didn't give up your love for cricket after New Zealand used bottle caps on the ball in 1990 or Atherton ball tampering in 1994.
I can definitely understand it to an extent.
He's coaching juniors. Presumably trying to get them to play fair, but then the people they most need to learn from behave like that. He probably wasn't in that position with other incidents, and when its not Australian players it wouldn't hit as hard.

Personally, I found the whole thing sickening and think a year is about right. For the only time I can think of in recent years CA got something right, so there is at least that positive.
But after the shock it doesn't really impact enjoyment of the game. Its very disappointing that the ICC haven't toughened the penalties a lot more than they actually did - but they can't afford to do anything that might force them to ban an Indian player one day.

Did you stop following footy when Carlton were found to have systematically broken the salary cap rules?
Did you care when Symonds basically middled one through to the keeper and stood there deadpan?
The game got through the tragedy of Phil Hughes. It got through Cronje & Azharuddin. It got through Salman, Amir & Asif. It got through the Indian temper tantrum after the Harbhajan / Symonds racism. It got through Dan Worrall marking a dick and balls in the pitch.

Frankly it honest sounds like you are being hysterically righteous. The game comprises of failable human beings, no different to you or I. It already has moved on.

What happened in Cape Town was pathetic. But all players have copped their whack. CA has taken a battering in the public and press. There's been countless incidents of ball tampering and line breaking in the past - there always has (whether they wear the Aussie halo or not) and will continue to be in the future.
I don't understand why you're so outraged that someone else doesn't think the way you think, nor do I really see the need to label other people hysterical just because they disagree with you.

It shook me. I never thought I'd see us do it; I bought all the way into the 'tough, but fair', 'We know where the line is' mantra that surrounded the Australian cricket team. It's not enough to make me give up on the game, though, but it was near enough to make me consider my relationship to the Australian cricket team, and Australian cricket as a whole. I've seen the 'win at all costs' mentality, as I walk out there to bat myself, as I'm sure most who play have at various times. I've had fielders who couldn't run me out aim for the broad of my back purely because they could. In a game last year, one of my club's kids - a nine year old - got called for throwing because he was winning the match. A few years back, an opposition side dropped their second eleven into their fourth after they were ruled out of making finals, and bounced a 14 year old opening bat in a final with the fastest bowling he's still ever faced, calling him a pussy when he ducked away.

I'm well aware of our attitude to 'winning' here. I just always held onto the naive thought that there were things we wouldn't do, and outright cheating wasn't on.

BLUEALLTHRU , I get it. That it 'goes on everywhere' is not a defense, nor is 'they've taken their lumps'. Ultimately, they've removed that idealism forever. It's done, and it might be naive, but the destruction of illusions is done now. I can choose what I support.

Last edited:
Australian Financial review have been teeing off about CA lately. Some real headspinners in this one. https://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/cricket-australia-keeps-promoting-its-screwups-20180603-h10wfw

The latest personnel movements at Cricket Australia headquarters are worth pulling together. Former athletics apparel executive Kevin Roberts – who CA chair David Peever put in charge of last year's comically botched pay negotiations with the players' union – has been, no s**t, promoted to chief operating officer, with even the CFO now reporting to him while chief executive James Sutherland sits in the world's plushest departure lounge.

Roberts' promotion last week was followed propitiously by the shock departure of the game's head of integrity Iain Roy (as first reported by Peter Lalor in The Australian) – the guy who flew to South Africa to discover the sticky tape was actually sandpaper but that David Warner was definitely still a halfwit. Yep, that's right, Roberts' first move (by implication, with Peever's blessing) – other than to count his fingers and toes – was marching the sport's top anti-cheating official, making the Head of Integrity redundant while a review into the national team's integrity is conducted in the wake of a cheating scandal. Only on Jolimont Street!

Roy's 2IC Abhi Arunachalam recently left for a commercial role in the Big Bash League.

The most entertaining part of cricket in Australia today isn't even the big hitting; it's that just when we believe peak maladministration has occurred, we are promptly proven wrong by shining new precedent.

It has also emerged (via ESPNcricinfo's Dan Brettig) that the man helming Cricket Australia's "independent" review into the Australian Test team's culture, Peter Collins of the Centre for Ethical Leadership, has been on (and off) CA's books as a paid consultant for years, including as an adviser to Sutherland and then captain Ricky Ponting. What the actual f***?!

Peever's incompetence has been well and truly established, as has the self-preserving compliance of both Sutherland and CA's other directors (barring recent refugee Bob Every). But is there simply no tipping point?! Is there no dosage of repugnance Peever's board colleagues, having timidly studied their shoes as Every departed, could find a voice for? Nobody expects any resolve of Jacquie Hey of Qantas (if nobody even notices her she might even swing a decade in First Class), Vocation's Michelle Tredenick (a company whose business model was signing the long-term unemployed up for worthless diplomas in exchange for free iPads) or one of Hobart's leading PR consultants Tony Harrison. But what of (deserving) Australian of the Year, Mark Taylor? What of Grand Prix boss John Harnden?

Celebrity ethicist Simon Longstaff will answer all of these confronting questions, and more, with marshmallow answers, just as soon as after Peever pays his invoice and sends him tickets for Boxing Day.

How is this even happening? Why can the Twittersphere demand (and acquire) the scalp of an offensive comedian, or the media string up a government minister, while something as blindly wrong and as nationally important as this continues with impunity? We're at a loss, so people, please explain?!
Kevin Roberts has been appointed CEO of Cricket Australia.

Cos what Cricket Australia needs right now is an internal appointment.

Read Gideon's book last night, good read. A lot more about the backroom at cricket Australia than i was expecting.

From my view, it seems there's a lot of people who misunderstand cricket running the game at the moment. Boof was a massive enabler of the type of behaviour that culminated with Cape Town. In hindsight, he should have departed after the 2015 World Cup - he worked well as a coach for players who knew what they were about and had grown up in the culture. Smith and Warner needed a greater guiding hand than they got from Lehmann.

I have high hopes for Paine and Langer. Paine especially has the right background to lead a group and establish a proper culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back