Game Day Round 1 Preview : West Coast Premiers v Brisbane Participation Medallists Sat Mar 23, 5.20pm(WST) @ the Gabba

Predict the Final Margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was s**t.

Guess what, he's not alone. Only thing is some of the others might have a couple of excuses, and he really doesn't.

Waterman sucked - Only played 16 games
Hickey sucked - First game with new club
Vardy sucked - Needs time to gel with Hickey?
Venables sucked - Young developing player who flashes in and out of the game, only played 16 games.
Brander - free pass obviously
Allen - Free pass
Petch - Free pass

Marsden - 200 games, premiership midfielder with 11 touches and 1 tackle.

^ Which one of those is not like the other?
Yeo was arguably worse.. He took a great mark and goal and had double the possessions but all but about 2 of those possessions was a clanger or free kick to the opposition. He was putrid.
Not much to be taken from that game.

He was s**t.

Guess what, he's not alone. Only thing is some of the others might have a couple of excuses, and he really doesn't.

Waterman sucked - Only played 16 games
Hickey sucked - First game with new club
Vardy sucked - Needs time to gel with Hickey?
Venables sucked - Young developing player who flashes in and out of the game, only played 16 games.
Brander - free pass obviously
Allen - Free pass
Petch - Free pass

Marsden - 200 games, premiership midfielder with 11 touches and 1 tackle.

^ Which one of those is not like the other?
The only reason I'd give is that he needs to be fed from the mids with clean ball movement. He won't star in a game like this where it's blind kicks around the corner.

I'm not defending him though, deserves to be dropped or in the discussion, but there's still a reason these things happen. His running didn't disappear, he appears in a few top 3 positions there.

There's about 6 or 7 players that could be dropped and he's certainly one of them.

Belive it or not Beau Waters has been spoiled from behind before ... Shock horror!

Believe it or not he rarely got beaten to the drop of a ball by the spoiler when the spoiler started 20m back and he started 2 steps away from the drop of the ball when the spoiler wasn’t coming over the top of him.

Hodge barely got off the ground, he ran straight past masten and beat him to the ball barely touching him, I’ve seen it multiple times on Kayo instead of just getting fired up of one real time view and thinking s**t kick. Masten didn’t even get hands on it, he stayed down looking to dart out to the wing when believe it out not he could’ve attempted to protect the drop zone of the ball or even jumped to meet the ball at the highest point.

Instead he offered zero resistance and what could’ve been a 1% chance at a contest or a free for an overzealous spoil from hodge became a zero % chance. Boone’s denoting the most likely outcome was hodge spoiling due to the quality of the incoming kick....

Believe it or not he rarely got beaten to the drop of a ball by the spoiler when the spoiler started 20m back and he started 2 steps away from the drop of the ball when the spoiler wasn’t coming over the top of him.

Hodge barely got off the ground, he ran straight past masten and beat him to the ball barely touching him, I’ve seen it multiple times on Kayo instead of just getting fired up of one real time view and thinking s**t kick. Masten didn’t even get hands on it, he stayed down looking to dart out to the wing when believe it out not he could’ve attempted to protect the drop zone of the ball or even jumped to meet the ball at the highest point.

Instead he offered zero resistance and what could’ve been a 1% chance at a contest or a free for an overzealous spoil from hodge became a zero % chance. Boone’s denoting the most likely outcome was hodge spoiling due to the quality of the incoming kick....
This is Masten, who had no idea if he was clear or not, keeping his eyes on the ball trusting Yeo to have given him a chance.

The kick was putrid, Hodge would have destroyed that unless it was Darling, JK or Vardy protecting the drop zone.

He played a s**t game but that marking contest was Yeo's * up all day long.

Lol at people melting about Masten.

He was invisible all day, and then when he wasn’t he was actively s**t. The sad reality of today’s game was he wasn’t even close our worst on ground. Let that sink in.

Good luck surviving this week as he racks up his 200th game as a one club premiership player. My thoughts are with you all in this trying time.

You’re 100% right, the games isn’t even worth melting about as a whole we’ll play maybe 2 more games in those conditions all year. Mastens not going anywhere he’s miles ahead on workrate than anyone who’s pushing him out especially while gaffs out. If he was on the chopping block smith would’ve got JLT time.

Yeo was arguably worse.. He took a great mark and goal and had double the possessions but all but about 2 of those possessions was a clanger or free kick to the opposition. He was putrid.
Not much to be taken from that game.
Perhaps Yeo and Redden thought they were back playing for Brisbane as noticed both of them kicking it to the opposition - not that they were orphans of course:think:

Hickey, Vardy and Masten - very poor effort, didn't contribute anything.
Things didn't go well for Vardy and the conditions didn't really help that, but I didn't think his effort was too bad.

This is Masten, who had no idea if he was clear or not, keeping his eyes on the ball trusting Yeo to have given him a chance.

The kick was putrid, Hodge would have destroyed that unless it was Darling, JK or Vardy protecting the drop zone.

He played a s**t game but that marking contest was Yeo's **** up all day long.

He played a s**t game but that marking contest was Yeo's **** up all day long.

When you’re setup like that why would you assume you’re clear? Is there any downside to setting yourself for a contest and no one competing?

The fact that hodge is more than likely going to kill it doesn’t mean you just let him. Hodge barely brushed Masten to get to the ball.

Noones denying it was Yeos fault but there was plenty of things Masten could have done that was better than what he did.

We have a real problem with our ruck contests at the centre bounce. Our midfield can’t get hold of the ball and with the new 6-6-6 our defence was under constant pressure all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always happens when a bottom side beats last year's premiers! I'm just a bit worried in case after having won the flag, their hunger is going to be non-existent?

I wouldn’t read into it too much, it was a horrible night for footy without key personnel. I was in the same mindset last year after the crows game and we won the flag.

I still think it’ll take a good team to break the run of wins we have when both Darling/Kennedy play

Smashed in disposals, disposal efficiency, contested possessions, marks, hitouts, handballs, kicks, inside 50's and despite a disposal landslide they also picked up more tackles. No excuse. This was an absolutely dreadful performance and we better pull our heads from our arses very soon.
Translation: Masten's fault.

from the Brissie board said:
Biggest 1st round loss by a defending premiership team since 1981.

Sobering. We kicked what... 2 goal after quarter time? Extremely disappointing hit out after a solid JLT.

Midfield should be embarrased. Absolutely torched and didn't even whimper.

May have been the beers but was pretty cross watching the Lions pushing us around at will by the end. I just don't understand why we just switched off when they brought the heat. It was like watching a game from 2016.

My favourite part of this gameday thread is when I go back through it, and have a real look st all the chicken littles losing their minds for a game that in the long run of things means nothing.

Can’t see us playing that bad again in 2019

My favourite part of this gameday thread is when I go back through it, and have a real look st all the chicken littles losing their minds for a game that in the long run of things means nothing.

Can’t see us playing that bad again in 2019
Glad I could brighten your day. :moustache:

You idiots sticking up for Masten obviously cannot fathom the 666 rule. Hes gonna get smashed by fast guys in an open field now. He may run all day but hes done now with football style..

We have 4 players due in JK, Cripps, Rioli and Gaff.
Masten will not survive past Round 2.

You idiots sticking up for Masten obviously cannot fathom the 666 rule. Hes gonna get smashed by fast guys in an open field now. He may run all day but hes done now with football style..

We have 4 players due in JK, Cripps, Rioli and Gaff.
Masten will not survive past Round 2.

Just in time to notch his 200th then hey? One of the all time club greats. Pay homage.

4e193057f0a4a10d17ee29a3de92719c.jpg

Yes as Sheed played Half Fwd Flank last season and we had Gaff inside. We were holding Sheed out of his best position and i on was that all last year. All to keep that squib Masten on the wing.

Fair dinkum this reminds me of South Fremantle playing the likes of Tim Kelly and Marlion Pickett in the back pocket for years all of a sudden 1 year in the guts and they become AFL draftable. TK became Geelong B n F in his 1st season..

Back