Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEEL V BEND

First Half (GEEL 26-59 BEND)- so far Bendigo have had most of the play, Geelong came back a little in the second to make it competitive, but this new Bendigo side is not going to be a push over, they have a really good midfield this season with B.Kemp, T.Dow and Ironside leading the way, with Rodi providing even more quality in the mid and good efforts from Roberts, Schischka, Wilson and Fitzgerald in the first half for Bend, for Geelong they were well beaten early but fought back to make it a contest, for Geelong Stephens, Dahlhaus, Harris, Clark, Sprague, Lazzaro and Hildebrandt played well.

Second Half (GEEL 43-86 BEND)- the wind affected the second half making it a more dour game, Geel had the breeze and influence in the 3rd quarter and Bend had the breeze and influence in the last, Geelongs best in the 2nd half were Lazzaro, Harris, Stephens, Clark, Dahlhaus, Sprague and Miller for Bendigo their best performers for that half were T.Dow, Wilson, Fitzgerald, Rodi, B.Kemp (who tired in last half and was cramping) and Ironside.

overall the best performers imo were
1. Thomson Dow - Bend - 24 disp 2 goals, was consistantly in the play good 4 quarter effort, B.O.G. clearly i thought
2. Brodie Kemp - Bend - 20 disp, was a powerful presence in the middle for the first half, second half was a bit less impactful started to cramp in the last
3. Cooper Stephens - Geel - 20 disp, was a strong player for Geel, went head to head against Kemp and did well against a packed Bendigo midfield
4. Riley Wilson - Bend - 21 disp 1 goal, provided a lot of run and carry from half back/wing, courageous
5. Logan Fitzgerald - Bend - 23 disp, solid rebounding defender, quality poss
6. Charlie Lazzaro - Geel - 21 disp, great game from the underager really added some grunt ot the Geelong mid
7. Jeremy Rodi - Bend - 17 disp 1 goal, clean disp mid, was a good compliment to Dow and Kemp
8. Charlie Harris - Geel - 17 disp, busy midfielder that was in the play all game.
9. Jay Dahlhaus - Geel - 12 disp and a bunch of tackles, did well in the conditions
10. Riley Ironside - Bend - 12 disp 1 goal, had a big first half and did alright in the second, solidly built mid

special mentions: Schischka 24 disp, Clark 22 disp, Dick-O'Flaherty 22 disp, Wallace 19 disp, Sprague 18 disp 1 gl, Rayner 18 disp, Rowles 16 disp

**Charlie Lazzaro(Geel) was the best underager

Last edited:
NORTH V WEST

First Half (NORTH 33-33 WEST)- very messy game, a lot of trash poss, both mids seem weak, with a few exceptions and the only thing entertaining me atm is the big forws, Mcmahon for north and Jeka + Manton for west, Carafa has been good in the mid for north and Clarke, El-Hawli and Borg have been good for Western, West should be ahead but North got a few counter attacking goals, both Gardner and Potter have been below par so far.

Second Half (NORTH 73-80 WEST)- mostly messy game, with an exciting 4 goal comeback from west to just get over the line, Westerns best performers in the comeback were Andrews, Jeka, Clarke and Borg, for Northern the players that got them the lead were D'intinosante, Gardner, Sturgess and Davies.

1. Josh D'Intinosante - North - 11 disp 2 goals, he was huge in the last half, winning most contests and kicking 2 handy goals to give northern the lead
2. Aaron Clarke - West - 10 disp 2 goals, played well in mid and ruck then went forw and kicked 2 game winning goals in the last quarter
3. Ryan Gardner - North - 17 disp, came back from a poor first half to contribute in the last half
4. Emerson Jeka - West - 14 disp 1 goal, was a good target up forw kicking a goal and being involved in several others
5. Daly Andrews - West - 11 disp, made some plays in the second half to gain momentum for the comeback
6. Kyle Borg - West - 8 disp 1 goal, made Potter and Gardner look amateurish at times, tough little bugger, great underage prospect
7. Jackson Davies - North - 17 disp, quality defender, uses ball well, composed, tough
8. Saad El-Hawli - West - 7 disp 1 goal, did well on the outside, used the ball well and kicked a nice long goal
9. Ryan Sturgess - North- 20 disp 2 goals, was solid made some errors but played well late in the game

a lot of trash disposals in this game, for the first 3/4's it was one of the worst games i've watched in years and no reason for it (wind/rain) so many of these guys got disposals but used it so poorly i erased it from my mind.

special mentions: Nikolovski 16 disp, Brazier 18 disp 1 goal, Cassar 15 disp, Honey 15 disp (good late), Ryan 19 disp

**Kyle Borg(West) was the best underager

Last edited:
made a few changes to my lists on the first post and will probably make a few changes to my top 40 list next month, some players didnt perform and new players have put their hands up, will be interesting to see how the top 40 transforms itself during the year and which prospects continue to play well and which ones dont.

obviously the Championships and Finals will be a chance to see which youngsters rise to the occasion, especially more vision on the interstate talent to determine where they sit in the hierarchy of this draft pool.

i have to say Thomson Dow and Charlie Dean are 2 players that jumped up the rankings from their performances over the weekend imo.

Last edited:

made a few changes to my lists on the first post and will probably make a few changes to my top 40 list next month, some players didnt perform and new players have put their hands up, will be interesting to see how the top 40 transforms itself during the year and which prospects continue to play well and which ones dont.

obviously the Championships and Finals will be a chance to see which youngsters rise to the occasion, especially more vision on the interstate talent to determine where they sit in the hierarchy of this draft pool.

i have to say Thomson Dow and Charlie Dean are 2 players that jumped up the rankings from their performances over the weekend imo.
WAFL comp starts on the 6th of April here in WA.

No dramas.

FWIW, I hope he gets drafted and becomes the first Thomson as a given name.

if he plays regularly like he did on the weekend he will definitely get drafted and possibly a high pick.

my top 40 has changed a bit already, i have 3 players changed and a few positional changes as well...ill update after round 2-3

Is it just me or are the top athletes getting shorter? Didn't seem that long ago that anything below 180cm wasn't tall enough.

Is it just me or are the top athletes getting shorter? Didn't seem that long ago that anything below 180cm wasn't tall enough.

i've noticed this year theres a lot of under 180cm players, some wont be drafted because of it, because you need to be really good to make it as a short player in the modern football, i feel as though clubs are ok with youngsters 177-180 but anything under 177cm they have to be special talents.

Ex recruiter has said height isn't so much an issue if the kid is around the 177cm-180cm mark and is genuinely talented.

Look at the Lions:
Neale 177cm
Christensen 176cm
McCarthy 176cm
Zorko 175cm
Taylor 175cm

That's 3 players in our best 22, and two more in the 23 to 26 of our list depth.

Ex recruiter has said height isn't so much an issue if the kid is around the 177cm-180cm mark and is genuinely talented.

Look at the Lions:
Neale 177cm
Christensen 176cm
McCarthy 176cm
Zorko 175cm
Taylor 175cm

That's 3 players in our best 22, and two more in the 23 to 26 of our list depth.

Do many of these guys run in the midfield or are they mostly pocket players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do many of these guys run in the midfield or are they mostly pocket players?
Seriously?

Zorko is the Captain of the Brisbane Lions, was All Australian in 2017 as a midfielder.

Lewey Taylor won the Rising Star in 2014 and plays wing and HFF.

Lachie Neale!!! He's a top 20 mid in the competition, and is probably top 5 in the league as inside clearance mid.

Lincoln McCarthy, small forward with top end speed, who offers elite offence and defence. His career has been hampered by injury. Does run through midfield as seen on the weekend against your mob. Maybe you missed his run down tackle on Elliot Yeo on the weekend.

Allen Christensen, is a small utility. Can play as a small defensive forward, or small defender who offers run and carry out of defence and classy ball use.

Seriously?

Zorko is the Captain of the Brisbane Lions, was All Australian in 2017 as a midfielder.

Lewey Taylor won the Rising Star in 2014 and plays wing and HFF.

Lachie Neale!!! He's a top 20 mid in the competition, and is probably top 5 in the league as inside clearance mid.

Lincoln McCarthy, small forward with top end speed, who offers elite offence and defence. His career has been hampered by injury. Does run through midfield as seen on the weekend against your mob. Maybe you missed his run down tackle on Elliot Yeo on the weekend.

Allen Christensen, is a small utility. Can play as a small defensive forward, or small defender who offers run and carry out of defence and classy ball use.

Sorry mate, still learning who most of the players outside of the West are. Appreciate the details though, I'll keep a closer eye on these guys in future.

just thought i would make a NAB League Team of the week from my PoV to differ from whats on AFL Draft Central.

B: Riley Wilson(Bend), Corey Watts(Sand), Logan Fitzgerald(Bend)
HB: Lachlan Ash(Murr), Jackson Davies(North), Sam Flanders(Gipps)
C: Thomson Dow(Bend), Finn Maginness(Sand), Matt Rowell(Oak)
HF: Jai Nanscawen(Dand), Emerson Jeka(West), Noah Anderson(Oak)
F: Matty Lloyd(GWV), Charlie Dean(Sand), Kyle Dunkley(Gipps)
R: Ben Kelly(Murr), Cooper Craig-Peters(GWV), Ryan Byrnes(Sand)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INT: Mitch Martin(GWV), Jack Toner(Dand), Lachlan Stapleton(East)
Joe Ayton-Delaney(Oak), Brodie Kemp(Bend), Ryan Sturgess(North)

EMER: Cooper Stephens(Geel)

i cheated with Flanders on hb, but whatever, this team is my team for round 1. (Bend and Sandy 4 players, Oak and GWV 3 Players, Murr, North, Gipps and Dand 2 players and 1 player to West, East and Geel, 0 players from Calder)

Last edited:
just thought i would make a NAB League Team of the week from my PoV to differ from whats on AFL Draft Central.

B: Riley Wilson(Bend), Corey Watts(Sand), Logan Fitzgerald(Bend)
HB: Lachlan Ash(Murr), Jackson Davies(North), Sam Flanders(Gipps)
C: Thomson Dow(Bend), Finn Maginness(Sand), Matt Rowell(Oak)
HF: Jai Nanscawen(Dand), Emerson Jeka(West), Noah Anderson(Oak)
F: Matty Lloyd(GWV), Charlie Dean(Sand), Kyle Dunkley(Gipps)
R: Ben Kelly(Murr), Cooper Craig-Peters(GWV), Ryan Byrnes(Sand)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INT: Mitch Martin(GWV), Jack Toner(Dand), Lachlan Stapleton(East)
Joe Ayton-Delaney(Oak), Brodie Kemp(Bend), Cooper Stephens(Geel)

EMER: Ryan Sturgess(North)

i cheated with Flanders on hb, but whatever, this team is my team for round 1.
Personally would have had McAsey and Newman as the key defenders but I like it overall

SYD A V TAS

First Half (SYD A 26-15 TAS)- the game is a drop in quality from NAB League, the Sydney A team seem a lot stronger and tackle harder which gives them an advantage in the mid, the ball use is a bit iffy, but im liking the look of Barling, Gulden and Watling so far and for Tas i like the look of Davis and O'Neill, in the first quarter, the second quarter was a bit better quality of a game, the Tassie side started playing positive footy, the difference of styles is apparent, Syd A relies on physically dominating games with a handful of skillful players and Tassie have a lot of skinny lads with skill and a handful of stronger players, best for the First Half were Barling, Gulden and Watling of Syd A and for Tas, Davis, Viney played well with cameos from Baker who played ruck in the first quarter which was odd then kicked Tassies first goal to get them going, Collins, Banks-Smith (evasive and tidy disposal)who i like the look of and O'Neill, the 7 players who have stood out as draft prospects imo are (Syd A - Gulden + Barling) (Tas - Davis, Collins, O'Neill, Banks-Smith, Viney) even though Syd A are in control of the game it feels like its because their squad is full of strong bodied players and not because of skill, they seem to physically bully teams which doesnt work against men, so its an inflated level they are playing at atm. (would like to see O'Neill get involved more i like what he is doing when he gets near it)

Second Half (SYD A 56-42 TAS)- in the third quarter the game has opened up a bit, Parker has been good for Syd A, along with Barling and Gulden again doing well, for Tas O'Neill had a few good poss he is a great kick to a lead, even if the kick doesnt work its likely his team mate drops a sitter, Collins had a good quarter rebounding and intercept marking, Viney is a fighter, he just is always in the contest and Menzie had a good period with a wonderful long goal from a tight angel, but still Syd A are winning the game by strength and getting the ball going long and direct and having better structures. Tassie tried hard in the last but Syd A held strong and saw out the win.

1. E. Gulden - SydA 36 disp 2 goals, was an impressive display from the mid/forw, clean disp, good competitiveness, strong in the contest(underager)
2. S. Collins - Tas 22 disp, had a great 2nd half and really set up a lot of attacking plays from defense as well as intercept marking
3. M. Mcguiness - Tas 28 disp, got a lot of the ball, strong left boot, i would like it if he was more accurate with his disp but played well
4. J. Barling - Syd A 18 disp, strongly built mid, put his body on the line, worked hard
5. M. O'Neill - Tas 20 disp, had a quieter day than normal, great poss, clever, just needs to work harder imo
6. L. Viney - Tas 14 disp tough little defender always chasing, tackling, then when he has poss uses it well
7. O. Davis - Tas 19 disp, in and under mid from tassie, good work in the coal face
8. Banks-Smith - Tas 21 disp, good evasion and disp, clean running player

special mentions: Parker 10 disp 1 goal, Watling 20 disp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GWS V BRIS

First Half (GWS 49-46 BRIS)- the game started hot with a lot of action and quick footy, the Giants took an early lead then had a quiet 5 minute spell where Brisbane clawed back into the game and led by 3 before a goal after the siren to Delahunty, there were 3 clear talents for GWS, T. Green, Delahunty and Murray(ex Murray Bushies) for Brisbane Reville caught my eye with some good work also from Coleman, Michael and Wischnat

Second Half (GWS 70-96 BRIS)- third quarter was a dour quarter, very little happened a lot of scrappy footy,lions break away with the win in the last quarter with the giants kicking the last 2 goals, best for Bris in the last half Wischnat, Martyn and Coleman, for GWS Murray, Peatling and Green

1. Tom Green - GWS - 30 disp, clearances and tough poss all game, good 4 quarter effort
2. Liam Delahunty - GWS - 13 disp 3 gls, HUGE first half, fell away after half time, but looks a likely type
3. Tom Wischnat - Bris - 10 disp 4 gls, best forw on the field, kicked important goals and set up a couple of others
4. Bruce Reville - Bris - 16 disp, damaging winger, was involved in most good clean plays by Bris
5. Will Martyn - Bris - 30 disp 1 gl, got a lot of poss, a bit sloppy at times but was very productive
6. Nick Murray - GWS - 19 disp, intercept marking, clean poss, best KPD, had a great first half

special mentions: Peatling 16 disp 1 gl, Lucas 24 disp, Griffiths 22 disp, Hunt 19 disp, Mcrory 18 disp

Last edited:
MURR V BEND

First Half (MURR 33-39 BEND)- so far the first quarter has been fast paced with Murray getting ahead by a few goals, but Bendigo are still in it, the weather is dark overcast and windy, hopefully conditions allow for a good full game, Murray had a 3 goal lead going into quarter time and are now 1 goal behind at half time, this is a very pacy and high quality game of footy so far, very enjoyable, for Murray Ash has been a rock down back, Hollands has been good down back and floating forw, Chalcrafts have been ok, O'Dwyer and Baxter have been good also, for Bendigo Dow is putting on another high class performance, with Kemp, Schischka, Rodi and Johnson also playing well

Second Half (MURR 64-68 BEND)- great contest, tough game, Bendigo will be happy to get that victory under their belts, the bench was celebrating the last minute win by running onto the field, Murray unlucky 2 weeks in a row, best for Murray was Ash, Hollands, Quirk, Boyer and K.Chalcraft, for Bendigo it was Dow, Kemp, Ironside, Vaz and Roberts

Bendigo are becoming my favourite team to watch...

1. Thomson Dow - Bend - 22 disp 1 gl, in tough conditions and a contested game he showed a bit of class
2. Lachlan Ash - Murr - 24 disp, run and carry and provided a lot of counter attack opportunities
3. Elijah Hollands - Murr - 22 disp 1 gl, great hands, clean disp, his goal kicking needs work, maybe he should play mid or hbf?
4. Brodie Kemp - Bend - 11 disp, didnt get a lot of poss, but was tough in the coal face, tackled,did all the tough stuff and when he did get a touch used it well
5. Cameron Wild - Murr - 29 disp, ran hard and tried all day, if he had precise disp he would be more effective, but he is a good VFL prospect
6. Ethan Roberts - Bend - 13 disp 1 gl, kicked the winner and played well all game, especially in the second half
7. Riley Ironside - Bend - 14 disp, not a high disp mid, but has a solid build and in the windy conditions was tough and effective

special mentions: Clarke 16 disp, J.Chalcraft 20 disp 2 gls, Quirk 18 disp, Boyer 19 disp 1 gl, O'Dwyer 10 disp 2 gls, Fitzgerald 17 disp, Rodi 17 disp 1 gl, Johnson 7 disp 2 gls.

Last edited:
GIPPS V DAND

First Half (GIPPS 37-34 DAND)- another good game, good skills and flow, Serong makes a huge difference to Gipps midfield, their best so far Serong, B.Smith, Flanders and Dunkley, Dand have more intensity and clean play, their best Weightman, Cahill, Young, Riordan, D.Smith(underager) and Gay

Second Half (GIPPS 65-71 DAND)- raining through out the game but still a good contest and good skills, Gipps bests in that half were Flanders, Serong and for Dand Young put in a big second half

1. Hayden Young - Dand - 20 disp, most of his disposals were class, he played well today
2. Cody Weightman - Dand - 14 disp 2 gls, had a great game was close last week, but this week put in a big effort, gives it his all
3. Caleb Serong - Gipps - 20 disp, added a lot of grunt to the mid for Gipps
4. Sam Flanders - Gipps - 23 disp 1 gl, got a few touches and got Gipps back into the contest
5. Ned Cahill - Dand - 12 disp 1 gl, tried hard in forw/mid, puts his body into the congestion important seeing as it was wet
6. Jai Nanscawen - Dand - 7 disp 2 gls, oozes class, has a good side step, kicks accurately, tall mid/utility
7. Nathan Heath - Dand - 11 disp 1 gl, all game was noticing him involved in good plays, did well

special mentions: Riordan 21 disp, Orchard 16 disp, Toner 15 disp, Dunkley 23 disp, Sparkes 28 disp, Neocleous 7 disp 2 gls

Last edited:
SAND V NORTH

First Half (SAND 40-15 NORTH)- close contest, but Sandringham have too many quality players, they are the Dand of 2018 this season, if Sandy dont at least get to the GF i'll be surprised, North have given a good fight, but are outclassed, Sandy's best have been Byrnes, Mahoney Maginness and Hanrahan with Watts, Worrell, Lewis, Dean and Voss also playing well, for North its been Gardner, Naish and Uwandu who have done well so far

Second Half (SAND 82-39 NORTH)- Sandringham took away the win, good 2nd half from Dean, Lewis, Mahoney, McAsey, Byrnes and Le Grice, for North good second halves from D'Intinosante

1. Jack Mahony - Sand - 18 disp 1 gl, was everywhere today, gathering poss, clean pick ups and disposal, B.O.G. imo
2. Charlie Dean - Sand - 13 disp 4 gls, great set of hands, kicked some difficult gls could have had 6 today a real focal point
3. Ryan Byrnes - Sand - 21 disp, worked hard, had a few fumbles and poor disp but had
4. Oscar Lewis - Sand - 13 disp 1 gl, ran hard and a great long kick to advantage
5. Adam Carafa - North - 27 disp, was norths leading mid, tough on the inside
6. Ryan Sturgess - North - 23 disp, good utility, goes back and forw and handy tall player
7. Finn Maginness - Sand - 13 disp, had some good poss, but he would be disappointed with the lack of poss
8. Ryan Gardner - North - 14 disp, played well off of half back and mid, got involved
9. Josh D'Intinosante - North - 13 disp 1 gl, couldve had a few gls, missed chances but was clean

special mentions: Butler 17 disp, Ralphsmith 16 disp, Worrell 14 disp, Hanrahan 17 disp 2 gls, Davies 14 disp, Cox 15 disp

Last edited:
1. E. Gulden - SydA 36 disp 2 goals, was an impressive display from the mid/forw, clean disp, good competitiveness, strong in the contest(underager)

I must say I am more than a little excited about this guy, especially since he is an underager. Hopefully he can grow another 7cm or so to reach 180cm, but considering he is still around 3 months away from turning 17 there is a real possibility he will.

3. Tom Wischnat - Bris - 10 disp 4 gls, best forw on the field, kicked important goals and set up a couple of others

I am guessing a key forward? Good for Brisbane though as they probably need another one.

I must say I am more than a little excited about this guy, especially since he is an underager. Hopefully he can grow another 7cm or so to reach 180cm, but considering he is still around 3 months away from turning 17 there is a real possibility he will.

I am guessing a key forward? Good for Brisbane though as they probably need another one.
best hands for a kid I have seen

Attachments

• 5BE0BA8C-D124-43B8-9CC6-4A252B8679E5.png
    5BE0BA8C-D124-43B8-9CC6-4A252B8679E5.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 117

yea Gulden is good, hes in the top 5 prospects for me in 2020, but it is very early and have only seen the tip of the iceberg for 2020, Wischnat seems a good prospect for Brisbane but possibly mid draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back