Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

This stuff about Aish's kicking is a bit off:

He's a good kick (not great kick).

It's his decision making and courage that holds him back -- confidence. So he makes bad decisions because he's nervous and his kicks look bad.

Actually he is a very courgous player.

When moving the Ball Quick he is good Ball user is when he has time to think his Descion Making can be off at Times

Actually he is a very courgous player.

When moving the Ball Quick he is good Ball user is when he has time to think his Descion Making can be off at Times

Not sure about that. A recall a lot of mis-kicked hacks under pressure. I reckon he's a good kick when he decides to hit it forward and low at a bloke within 35 metres. Longer kicks are just floaters and he has a tendency of kicking slow floaters on his backwards and sideways kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really sure how 6-6-6 would affect him negatively. If anything it increase the amount of running a wingman needs to be able to cover and thus advantages him.

I rate him as a wingman and think he's really important for transition, but think he's a chance of being the victim of only having the skill set to play wing and there being a long line of blokes at our club who are best suited to playing wing - Phillips, Mayne, Sidebottom and I think it's where Pendles belongs now too, even Crocker. Plus if all our forwards are fully fit, the addition of Eliott has to push Stephenson or WHE into vying for that position.

Re-watch the Cats game. His lack of accountability and poor defensive ability was exploited. Selwood and others took him apart. Prior to 6-6-6 we had players off the square pressuring the centre clearance which patched over those deficits in his game. Those extra players can't get there now so the onus is on him. It's why he's playing a lot more HFF. His opportunities on the wing will be a lot more opponent driven as the season progresses. His running ability is no less relevant from HF but against the Weagles we were trading off Varcoe's pace and manic defensive pressure inside F50 for Phillips run. I know what you think is the more important contribution.

Re-watch the Cats game. His lack of accountability and poor defensive ability was exploited. Selwood and others took him apart. Prior to 6-6-6 we had players off the square pressuring the centre clearance which patched over those deficits in his game. Those extra players can't get there now so the onus is on him. It's why he's playing a lot more HFF. His opportunities on the wing will be a lot more opponent driven as the season progresses. His running ability is no less relevant from HF but against the Weagles we were trading off Varcoe's pace and manic defensive pressure inside F50 for Phillips run. I know what you think is the more important contribution.
I'm not that keen on rewatching the CAts game, but I thought he was playing HFF in that game. In terms of my preference for him playing wing rather than half forward, I think he's really good at getting deep into defence blocking space and then making himself an excellent option to bring it out of defence. To me, that's the thing he does extremely well.

I'm not that keen on rewatching the CAts game, but I thought he was playing HFF in that game. In terms of my preference for him playing wing rather than half forward, I think he's really good at getting deep into defence blocking space and then making himself an excellent option to bring it out of defence. To me, that's the thing he does extremely well.

Nah, played midfield just about the entire game against the Cats, mainly wing but also went into the centre at a few bounces. It was after 1/4 time v the Tigas that the shift forward began.

I've never disputed Phillips has some really strong traits, works hard to get back into defence, transitions forward really well. My issues have always been his lack of accountability, he's generally poor defensively, and his disposal. Maybe if he could improve those aspects the team wouldn't need to work so hard to get back behind the footy in the 1st place.

Nah, played midfield just about the entire game against the Cats, mainly wing but also went into the centre at a few bounces. It was after 1/4 time v the Tigas that the shift forward began.

I've never disputed Phillips has some really strong traits, works hard to get back into defence, transitions forward really well. My issues have always been his lack of accountability, he's generally poor defensively, and his disposal. Maybe if he could improve those aspects the team wouldn't need to work so hard to get back behind the footy in the 1st place.
To be honest, I can't really work out the expected accountability of midfielders. I'm under the impression that they are expected to be accountable to nearest bloke around the contest and in defensive transition and then accountable for space in the defensive set up.

I pretty much hate Aish, but I actually thought some of his defensive work was good tonight.

Ball in hand though he is an absolute trainwreck, complete detriment to the team, runs around like he's playing his first game of AFL.

Agree strongly with the post above, I see absolutely nothing he does that Appleby doesn't do better.

I've been pro-Aish but it's getting shaky!

If Mayne doesn't get up (listening on the radio at the game I wasn't given much info what actually happened to him?) maybe a push up to the wing for Aish and get Appleby down back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back