The new Shiel deal & his kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a good reason why Pratt himself was never fined.

The fines were handed down by Justice Heerey long before Pratt’s death. So you’re a great example of what I was talking about before. Not much clue really. Dependent on newspaper headlines and articles.

And so you cite these charges of perjury, based on evidence that a Federal Judge Ryan had already thrown out. Anyone who understood what was going on knew the claim of withdrawal due to Pratt’s illness was posturing.

The Essendon footy club were unrepentant about their systemic doping regime and the AFL did their level best to sweep things under the rug and minimise the damage.

So why would anyone be surprised about them colluding over salary cap cheating?

Culture.:rolleyes:

Free agency was only going to work fairly for all clubs if the AFL was transparent about player salaries and vigorously policed the salary cap. But it’s quite clear from all the side deals which players are able to make that the salary cap rules are toothless and the current system is a farce.

But what do you expect from an organisation that ticked off the Buddy Franklin deal, effectively stealing him away from Hawthorn and paying him millions on the side to be the AFL ambassador & public face of footy in Sydney.

The AFL is a shitty corrupt competition where the people in charge just make up the rules as they go along.

lol. This is a 20k per annum thing part time. Hardly expect it was a big secret and a part of his deal in coming across. More likely he started talking property with someone at the club and an opportunity came up which will set him up with some knowledge for after footy.

But sure, make up all you need to.

20k for one day a week if that. Tell me where I can find an internship with those benefits.

Conversely for 5 days a week it puts him on 100k per annum. So based on what Essendon are paying him, do you truly believe that he's rorting the system? If I offered the guy 20k a week he'd tell me to jump. Seemingly it's something he wants to do and there's something in it for him. Do you think that 1 day per week of his time is really worthy only 20k to him?

Since when is “learning the property game” an income earning job?

Driving around hammering for sale signs into the ground. Maybe being given a couple of rental properties to manage or do some trust admin work. Every day of the week somebody will start in a property business somewhere in the country with no experience in the industry at all. And they’ll almost all be earning their meagre wages. It might be a rort, but it’s most probably not.

The collusion’s aim was to cease a long running price war, not hike high prices higher. Just to stop undercutting the market (which in duopoly means each other) and allow prices to rise along with CPI like most other products. It was the right decision for both companies and fair for customers; the idea of being “ripped off” is actually based on customers losing access to unsustainable under market prices. The only problem is, the execs talked about it and agreed upon it.

This paragraph is absolute comedy.

“The collusion wasn’t to increase prices, it was to not decrease them”

😂😂😂

Do you work in politics?

And it was “fair for customers”! Classic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a mildly amusing aside here.. Big Joe was touch and go to get a game last week, Scott was preparing his game plan with him playing and the Northerners were begging for Big Joe the potatoe fronting up for the game against the shinboners.
Fast forward, Joe gets a late call up for the game, North get humiliated and suddenly all we hear are the bleatings and feeble cries of North telling the world they've been ripped off.
You can't have your cake and it eat too.

Nice try attempting at justifying the cheating but I complained about it before the game.

This was a major part of why the Crows got belted for Tippett; using connections to create sponsorship opportunities for him.

Yes, but.. you have to kick up a share to the overlords, they need to be aware and need to give it a tick of approval.

As if this isn't normal. I know a Richmond draftee who had his rent paid for by the club. All declared under the salary cap though of course *wink wink*.
This is legislated by the AFLPA and every club must provide and pay for accommodation to players for the first twelve months from being drafted.

If you're going to go in all guns blazing to attack another team in defence of the dodgy dealings from your own, it's probably a good idea to check your facts first.

This paragraph is absolute comedy.

“The collusion wasn’t to increase prices, it was to not decrease them”

😂😂😂

Do you work in politics?

And it was “fair for customers”! Classic

Growing up in a country town, I worked at a servo for some extra pocket money. For a while, the owner would have me ride down to the other servo on the main drag and check the price. He’d then undercut it by a cent or whatever it was, in order to steal business. Eventually the other bloke caught wind of what was happening and sent his lad down to do the same and a price war broke out. So stupid that they were eventually taking a loss on sales, they came to an agreement to stop the price war and go back to what is was like before. A fair business decision and STILL A FAIR RESULT FOR THE CUSTOMER, who got cheap petrol for about 3 weeks and when it went back to normal, were not paying any more than the next town over. The only problem here was, these two guys agreed upon a return to normal.

I suppose you could calculate this as “lost expected benefit” and claim these guys ripped the whole town off by that amount, rail on them even beyond their death and forget all the good they did in the community. Personally, I think that would reflect more on those who settle for this incomplete picture than it does the men they would judge.

Last edited:
This is legislated by the AFLPA and every club must provide and pay for accommodation to players for the first twelve months from being drafted.

If you're going to go in all guns blazing to attack another team in defence of the dodgy dealings from your own, it's probably a good idea to check your facts first.
If you'd like to quote me the specific section of the CBA that details that, I'd love to see it.

And it's not really about dodgy dealings. Shiel's deal has been ticked off by the AFL. The point is that a lot of players and clubs would have similar arrangements, and a lot of players would be getting little benefits outside of the cap. As long as it's all ticked off by the AFL, who cares.

If you'd like to quote me the specific section of the CBA that details that, I'd love to see it.

And it's not really about dodgy dealings. Shiel's deal has been ticked off by the AFL. The point is that a lot of players and clubs would have similar arrangements, and a lot of players would be getting little benefits outside of the cap. As long as it's all ticked off by the AFL, who cares.

" 13. Allowances (a) Relocation Benefits (i) A First Year Draft Choice Player or Rookie who is required to relocate as a result of inclusion on the List of an AFL Club shall be entitled to the relocation benefits set out in this item. (ii) The relocation benefits shall comprise the following benefits: (A) relocation costs (based on actual costs); (B) Player and parents travel (based on actual costs); (C) reimbursement for the cost of any household item reasonably required by the Player in setting up living arrangements as a result of being relocated (based on actual costs up to a limit of $6,515 (including FBT) for 2017 which amount will be adjusted annually by the increase in the CPI); and (D) living allowance based on actual costs up to the following limit, excluding FBT which is to be borne by the AFL Club: 2017 $10,271 2018 $10,477 2019 $10,686 2020 $10,900 2021 $11,118 2022 $11,340 The AFL will from time to time issue bulletins, as approved by the AFLPA, outlining the detailed arrangements governing the provision of allowances. (iii) The cost of the provision of relocation benefits provided pursuant to and within limits prescribed by this item 13(a) shall be excluded from the Total Player Payments of an AFL Club provided the costs are considered by the AFL Investigations Manager to be reasonable and bona fide. "

" 13. Allowances (a) Relocation Benefits (i) A First Year Draft Choice Player or Rookie who is required to relocate as a result of inclusion on the List of an AFL Club shall be entitled to the relocation benefits set out in this item. (ii) The relocation benefits shall comprise the following benefits: (A) relocation costs (based on actual costs); (B) Player and parents travel (based on actual costs); (C) reimbursement for the cost of any household item reasonably required by the Player in setting up living arrangements as a result of being relocated (based on actual costs up to a limit of $6,515 (including FBT) for 2017 which amount will be adjusted annually by the increase in the CPI); and (D) living allowance based on actual costs up to the following limit, excluding FBT which is to be borne by the AFL Club: 2017 $10,271 2018 $10,477 2019 $10,686 2020 $10,900 2021 $11,118 2022 $11,340 The AFL will from time to time issue bulletins, as approved by the AFLPA, outlining the detailed arrangements governing the provision of allowances. (iii) The cost of the provision of relocation benefits provided pursuant to and within limits prescribed by this item 13(a) shall be excluded from the Total Player Payments of an AFL Club provided the costs are considered by the AFL Investigations Manager to be reasonable and bona fide. "
Yeah, for players who have to relocate. And it has a $ limit. And has to be ticked off by the AFL. Where does it mention that clubs are required to pay for a player's accommodation for 12 months?

Yeah, for players who have to relocate. And it has a $ limit. And has to be ticked off by the AFL. Where does it mention that clubs are required to pay for a player's accommodation for 12 months?
Living allowance. It clearly doesn't have to be "ticked off" by the AFL. It has already "ticked off" the CBA which required it.

I've provided the data which is freely available. It's for you to assimilate it now.

Growing up in a country town, I worked at a servo for some extra pocket money. For a while, the owner would have me ride down to the other servo on the main drag and check the price. He’d then undercut it by a cent or whatever it was, in order to steal business. Eventually the other bloke caught wind of what was happening and sent his lad down to do the same and a price war broke out. So stupid that they were eventually taking a loss on sales, they came to an agreement to stop the price war and go back to what is was like before. A fair business decision and STILL A FAIR RESULT FOR THE CUSTOMER, who got cheap petrol for about 3 weeks and when it went back to normal, were not paying any more than the next town over. The only problem here was, these two guys agreed upon a return to normal.

I suppose you could calculate this as “lost expected benefit” and claim these guys ripped the whole town off by that amount, rail on them even beyond their death and forget all the good they did in the community. Personally, I think that would reflect more on those who settle for this incomplete picture than it does the men they would judge.
You could calculate it any way but there is nothing fair to the customer when there is orchestrated collusion to raise prices, it’s not normal and it’s illegal and Pratt couldn’t accept it.
Visy were dodgy,Pratt new exactly what was happening, the public were ripped off for many many years and they finally got sprung.
The whole philanthropic idea is a joke too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back