Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

my first shot at Ranking for 2021, it is still early, but i'll put out a top 20 that i like so far(even though its early and a little incomplete), im sure my opinions will change when i invest more time into watching more games.

1. Jason Horne
2. Tyler Sonsie
3. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S
4. Josh Rachele
5. Jacob Van Rooyen
6. Josh Sinn
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Matthew Roberts
9. Neil Erasmus
10. Ned Long
11. Sam Banks
12. Ben Hobbs
13. Joshua Browne
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Rhett Bazzo
16. Lewis Rayson
17. Braden Andrews
18. Campbell Chesser
19. Jackson Archer - North F/S
20. Blake Scott - WB NGA
Good to see Archer is doing well, hopefully a bid comes for him after our second pick

my first shot at Ranking for 2021, it is still early, but i'll put out a top 20 that i like so far(even though its early and a little incomplete), im sure my opinions will change when i invest more time into watching more games.

1. Jason Horne
2. Tyler Sonsie
4. Josh Rachele
5. Jacob Van Rooyen
6. Josh Sinn
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Matthew Roberts
9. Neil Erasmus
10. Ned Long
11. Sam Banks
12. Ben Hobbs
13. Joshua Browne
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Rhett Bazzo
16. Lewis Rayson
17. Braden Andrews
18. Campbell Chesser
20. Blake Scott - WB NGA
Thanks Davo, always value your opinion. Surprised you have Archer in top 20
, interested in what you like about him. My boy played against him in very junior years in YJFL comp and he was no standout, albeit I am talking 4 to 5 years ago!
cheers
Go Roos

Thanks Davo, always value your opinion. Surprised you have Archer in top 20
, interested in what you like about him. My boy played against him in very junior years in YJFL comp and he was no standout, albeit I am talking 4 to 5 years ago!
cheers
Go Roos

i loved his competitiveness, ive only seen one game, but i was highly impressed, as i said these calls are early, but he had a dozen quality involvements, whether it was disposal, tackling, defensive pressure, taking on opponents, i will have to watch more games for a solid read, but my first impressions were positive.

1. Jason Horne
2. Tyler Sonsie
4. Josh Rachele
5. Jacob Van Rooyen
6. Josh Sinn
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Matthew Roberts
9. Neil Erasmus
10. Ned Long
11. Sam Banks
12. Ben Hobbs
13. Joshua Browne
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Rhett Bazzo
16. Lewis Rayson
17. Braden Andrews
18. Campbell Chesser
20. Blake Scott - WB NGA
No Alex Lukic or Josh Goater ?

No Alex Lukic or Josh Goater ?

they are both in the range, but at this time i just had others ahead of them, its still very early in the season with no 2020 form to go off of for the Victorian talent and only a handful of 2019 games to go off of, so the information for a lot of Victorian kids is limited.

1. Jason Horne
2. Tyler Sonsie
4. Josh Rachele
5. Jacob Van Rooyen
6. Josh Sinn
7. Matthew Johnson
8. Matthew Roberts
9. Neil Erasmus
10. Ned Long
11. Sam Banks
12. Ben Hobbs
13. Joshua Browne
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Rhett Bazzo
16. Lewis Rayson
17. Braden Andrews
18. Campbell Chesser
20. Blake Scott - WB NGA
Dog's fans will be hoping you are off by a pick on Scott.
Will be annoying if he goes in the top 20.

Finn Callaghan (Sandringham) is looking good on the wing/half back, could be a top 30 type.

Josh Sinn has been good in patches and average in patches so far

Campbell Chesser is playing well as that midfield workhorse

Darcy Wilmot (Northern) has had some good moments at CHB

theres a few others showing promising signs like Macpherson, North, Ward, Archer and Trudgeon for North and for Sand McKay and Hipwell are showing good signs.

Northern V Sandringham Player Reviews
a few guys who stood out in the Northern V Sandringham game

Sandringham:
Finn Callaghan - played well on the wing, good running patterns, takes on opponents and had some good runs, i would say he has jumped into first round calculations with his past 2 performances in 2021

Campbell Chesser - reliable midfielder with a bit of pace when needed, solid inside mid and contested player who can find space and link up with runners on the outside, he improved his draft stocks with his performance today

Josh Sinn - played defence and midfield today, was a bit shaky in defence with the ball in air and with his use of the footy being a bit wayward, also didnt have the biggest impact in the midfield, i think he lacks something to be a top 5 pick tbh.

Luca MacNab - for a small defender he is very brave and skillful, had a great game and will see if he can have similar impact during the season

Jacob Edwards and Max Heath both looking like solid rucks, completely over shadowed Norths rucks
Darby Hipwell and Charlie McKay had solid games without being great
Howes and Soylemez both had moments where they impacted the game as forwards

Northern:
Ned Long - i really like him as a player, not only is he very strong, but he has good endurance to run out games and rarely makes mistakes

Darcy Wilmot - really good CHB, intercepting, good under pressure, clean, reliable, good start to the season so far

Ewan MacPherson - good at winning the ball, good handling, his disposal is a bit sloppy at times but most other parts of his game are good

Josh Ward - good run and general play, i think he is more 2nd/3rd round potential from what i have seen imo

Joel Trudgeon, Joel Fitzgerald and Jackson Archer - not as good as last week, they had ok games with some sloppy disposal and decision making, but both can win the ball and in general are good at feeding team mates.

Last edited:
Oakleigh V Eastern Player Reviews
1/2 Time impressions.
Oakleigh:
Nick Daicos - is a top 3 pick guaranteed, could be in the conversation with Jason Horne as a possible pick 1 if he continues to play at this level imo.

Dylan Thomas - really impressive small forward, i have liked what i have seen so far

Lachlan Rankin - has been good at times

Yousef Dib - Collingwood have another good NGA to bid on, maybe within first 2 rounds?, similarities with Quaynor, position, build, style of play ect, he has built a solid frame, last time i saw him in 2019 he was a lot skinnier than he is now

Scott Beilby - StK NGA looking like a good prospect too, similarities to Ben Long, in position, build and style.

#18 Rule - tall skinny defender, good in the air and competitive player

#2 Brown - has been good as well.

Eastern:
Tyler Sonsie - good game so far in the midfield, but is a bit behind Daicos in the battle of the top tier mids

Jake Soligo - having a good game also, trying to curb Daicos' game and win it himself

Tom Taylor - decent small forward, clever and strong mark

Zachary Cileceken - Haw NGA, medium tall defender, love his aggression and impact on contests.

Last edited:
Oakleigh too strong in the end, i liked these players from the game, not much more to add to the halftime impressions.

1.Nick Daicos - OC
2.Tyler Sonsie - ER
3.Dylan Thomas - OC
4.Jake Soligo - ER
5.Tom Taylor - ER
6.Lachlan Rankin - OC
7.Henry Brown - OC
8.Yousef Dib - OC
9.Patrick Voss - OC
10.Jed Rule - OC
11.Tyreece Lieu - ER
12.Haasbroek - ER
13.Massarotti - ER
14.Cileceken - ER

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell Chesser - reliable midfielder with a bit of pace when needed, solid inside mid and contested player who can find space and link up with runners on the outside, he improved his draft stocks with his performance today
How much higher could they have gotten!

How are yoy guys watching these games? The nab league app is useless. I cant even get up the live stats let alone watch it through this app.

How are yoy guys watching these games? The nab league app is useless. I cant even get up the live stats let alone watch it through this app.

you have to catch the games live, so check out the times the NAB League games are being played, the vision can be stuttery or it can go off for no reason, but if you stay in there you might get to see most of the game, as for stats, i dont bother with them, but they can be handy to confirm you're on the right track with what you see.

i agree the app is hard to deal with.

Bendigo v Gippsland Player Reviews
1/2 time impressions - Bendigo v Gippsland

Bendigo:
Cooper Hamilton - seems like a good midfielder, kicked a nice goal from 45m, generally smooth moving and good decision making, i think he fits more into 2nd round calculations, lacks the athleticism of others to be a first rounder imo

Hugh Hamilton - he is more your lanky flanker, also quite talented and competitive, could be a mid draft option from what ive seen

Nathan Kay - has some good traits, another i think could be in draft calculations from the pioneers

Billy Barnes - has been ok as a tall forward so far

Ryan O'Keefe - solid player

Gippsland:
Luis D'Angelo - a 19 year old that has been very impressive, at this point its between him and Doultree as my favourites so far, both on the losing team, which is odd

Chance Doultree - agile and slim mid, has been quite good so far and seems likely to get drafted decently high imo

Nathan Noblett - another good player that i think has a chance mid/late draft

Mitchell Moschetti - solid contributor so far

Max Walton - solid defender so far

i have ticks next to 6 players names that i think are possible draftees for 2021, C.Hamilton, H.Hamilton, Kay, D'Angelo, Doultree, Noblett

GWV V Dandenong Player Reviews
1/2 time impression - GWV V Dandenong

GWV:
Blake Scott - continues to impress with speed agility and smarts, playing mid and small forw

Charlie Molan - is playing well, not as many intercept marks, but just strong in the contest

Sam Butler - has been a solid player as well

Jye Lockett - kicked a great goal from 45m near the boundary after the 1/4 time siren, big goal

Kai Lohmann - also kicked a long goal

Dandenong:
Judson Clarke - has been everywhere, good clearances in the middle and a nice snap goal in the forward line, looks a good prospect for this years draft

Clayton Gay - has been handy up forward

James Cahill - kicked a great goal on a tight angle and has been creative

Max Gregory - has been solid

Miller Bergman - has also been solid

1/2 time impression - GWV V Dandenong

GWV:
Blake Scott - continues to impress with speed agility and smarts, playing mid and small forw

Charlie Molan - is playing well, not as many intercept marks, but just strong in the contest

Sam Butler - has been a solid player as well

Jye Lockett - kicked a great goal from 45m near the boundary after the 1/4 time siren, big goal

Kai Lohmann - also kicked a long goal

Dandenong:
Judson Clarke - has been everywhere, good clearances in the middle and a nice snap goal in the forward line, looks a good prospect for this years draft

Clayton Gay - has been handy up forward

James Cahill - kicked a great goal on a tight angle and has been creative

Max Gregory - has been solid

Miller Bergman - has also been solid

Top 3 most draftable for you in this game?

Top 35 - April Update
Top 35 - update (still incomplete, work in progress)

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S
3. Tyler Sonsie
4. Jacob Van Rooyen
5. Josh Rachele
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Matthew Roberts
8. Campbell Chesser
9. Ned Long
10. Josh Sinn
11. Ben Hobbs
12. Joshua Brown
13. Sam Banks
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Neil Erasmus
16. Rhett Bazzo
17. Finn Callaghan
18. Chance Doultree
19. Lewis Rayson
20. Cooper Hamilton
21. Luis D'Angelo
22. Dylan Thomas
23. Jake Soligo
24. Josh Fahey
25. Darcy Wilmot
26. Lachlan Rankin
27. Arlo Draper
28. Jacob Edwards
29. Blake Scott - WB NGA
30. Cooper Beecken
31. Shay Linke
32. Yousef Dib - Coll NGA
33. Josh Goater
34. Judson Clarke
35. Max Chipper

Last edited:
Luis D'Angelo - a 19 year old that has been very impressive, at this point its between him and Doultree as my favourites so far, both on the losing team, which is odd
Could this lad be selected in the MSD?

Could this lad be selected in the MSD?

i believe all the 19 year olds are available for the mid season draft, 3 that i like are Dylan Thomas an exciting small forward playing for Oakleigh, Luis D'Angelo an exciting midfielder for Gippsland Power and Jacob Edwards a ruckman for Sandringham Dragons.

another 1 who could be an option is Luke Cleary playing for Sandringham Dragons

theres a few others who could put their hands up if they start playing top tier footy.

i believe all the 19 year olds are available for the mid season draft, 3 that i like are Dylan Thomas an exciting small forward playing for Oakleigh, Luis D'Angelo an exciting midfielder for Gippsland Power and Jacob Edwards a ruckman for Sandringham Dragons.

another 1 who could be an option is Luke Cleary playing for Sandringham Dragons

theres a few others who could put their hands up if they start playing top tier footy.
Thanks for the answer. Are there any standout nature agers putting their hands up in the VFL so far I wonder? Could be some decent talent available in the MSD this year due to covid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back