News Clarko gone - Hawthorn coach exit brought forward to end of 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

There is absolutely no way Teague stays at Carlton with or without Clarkson being available.

He could win the next 4 and he’d still be out.

I hope Clarko now moves to another club and completely destroys the Hawks at every opportunity.

Lost the plot or not since '16, he deserved to be treated better than he has the last month.

Sam's now damaged goods.

Kennett and co need to now go.

Welcome to the wilderness fellow Hawks.

Seemed inevitable that they would part ways earlier, but the manner of it has been a bit of a surprise.
The leaks, the protestations, all a bit un-Hawthorn.
Wonder how Hawks fans view Kennett now.
Feels a bit like he was always looking to be the architect of Clarkson's demise, but Clarkson was just too good a coach.

So what are the key questions from this that need to be answered?

1. How much of this is down to Kennett not seeing eye-to=eye with Clarkson?
2. How much of it is down to Hawthorn not wanting Mitchell to coach elsewhere? They were more willing to lose Clarkson than lose Mitchell. Will that judgement be vindicated?

Setting aside all the public back-and-forth and subterfuge, those are the points that will need further clarification and maybe only time will tell. But I'd love to hear how much of a role Kennett played in bringing this to a head.

I think Clarko refused to go without being paid out in full for next year, thus the succession plan was born. But Kennett has flinched and agreed to pay Clarko out in full now. Clarko won. He leaves and possibly gets a new coaching position at a million per year while picking up another million from Hawthorn. meanwhile, the Hawks soft cap is ruined for next year.

Would love someone to compile posts from our board over the past week from our supporters bathing in the glory after clarko’s presser last week & Sam Mitchell’s SEN interview…would be some of the greatest reading now….

How many of them do you think will come out now and apologise to the likes of Caro, Sam Maclure and Tom Morris… ill go with 0!! All we will get is the usual “if you throw 100 darts, 1 will eventually stick”

Any danger now clubs will put these stupid fu**in 'succession plans' in the bin forever?

What makes them think they'll work?

Essendon did one last year - Rutten has been great this year, last year was a ******* disaster and just made it hard for him, because we were too stupid / cheap to sack a clearly spent force in Worsfold.

Just choose your coach and go with it. It's amazing how everybody thinks they can have their cake and eat it too.
The odd thing is we often look overseas to see how to run "clubs". Coaches and administrators get ideas from education tours of the New England Patriots, or Liverpool FC. As much of a junket as those trips are, it's hard to think that absolutely nothing gets learned being around these entities that are earning anywhere from 3 to 8 times as much revenue as the biggest clubs in Australia.

Yet when do you see a transition like this at any big club globally. I might be missing something but unless the coach/manager is retiring like Alex Ferguson, this coach transition just doesn't happen. Yet we've seen AFL clubs do everything to get in their recently retired champion with the success rate being pretty low.

Mitchell might prove us wrong but jeez, it's started off pretty badly.

Absolutely awful decision. You’ve just sacked the best coach in the history of the sport because you want to appoint an old boy and your president feels the need to put an end date to coaches.

Handling of the situation is awful no doubt about it but I don't see Clarko being our next Premiership coach. He can pull off some great match day moves but I have my doubts about his dated gameplan. If we didn't believe he was the man we should have let him go straight away instead of this bullshit. Clarko deserves better.

Won't know how good the decision is until 3-4 years so I will hold my thoughts until then. 100% the handling of the situation was botched but Mitchell could end up a Premiership coach, or he could be a failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko had another year. They should have let him coach it on his own.
If Mitchell went elsewhere then bad luck.

Clarko deserved to see his contract out as he has always done by us. Very poorly handled.

This is so bad for Sam Mitchell. I can only imagine the pressure he’ll be feeling at the first signs he isn’t up to it as a senior coach over the coming years.

Dirty sniper will hopefully get some of his own medicine.

How could you play for a bloke who has white anted such a legend of your club?

Who could have seen this one coming from mile off…

Hawthorn have essentially decided to become completely dysfunctional for no reason.

4 flags, 18 years and a golden handshake from Kennett for an unproven assistant to take his place.
Kennett has been trying to get rid of Clarkson since he missed the finals in 2009.

Are you going to address how wrong you got it?

Aren't you persistent? I've got it wrong. The club has handled it wrong but I absolutely stand by the fact that the media are scum and always have been. Props to Caro that she has finally got it right RE: Clarko. Broken clocks and all that.

Satisfied?

Every other club is wanting the best coach going around.... Hawks are firing him and then paying him a years pay. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Think there is a clause for Clarkson not coaching another club to get his payout but 100% he is the biggest winner out of all of this.

I'd take 7 figures to sit on my arse for a year, and have another 7 figures lined up straight after it.

Through all of this, Jason Dunstall, who was a massive reason Clarkson was appointed in the first place, is the only one who hasn't embarrassed himself.

He might act the fool and have some fun on Bounce but he's a very smart football operator.

Dunstall seems to have very good insights both on and off the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back