Coach Teague in or out?

Teague in or out?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren’t trying to develop them. Why stuff up a kids development for them?
Owies earned it more/as much as Honey. Betts? I thought Betts should’ve been gone last year but he has been brilliant, I’m not sure how he fits the bill. Even Gibbons had a really good run of games at the start of the season before fading.
Even Teague commented about how much better our small forward pressure was last night than all season. Bar wasn't set high by those before Honey

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here, Malthouse coached a premiership in 2010 and was runners up in 2011,

I’m not sure how that can be spun as a negative.

I’ll have to re check that side in 2011 because like the Pies side in 2001 and 2002, I thought they were miles off on talent, just a very well coached side.

Clarkson, Malthouse, Pagan, I don’t think any of these guys forgot how to coach
It’s not a negative. I want Clarkson in the same way I wanted Malthouse. Personally I think Malthouse was a better fit considering what he had recently done with such a young side in an era with powerhouse sides compared to Clarkson who is somewhat responsible for Hawthorns problems after recruiting a midfield of Wingard, Mitchell and Jager who are all in their prime and not up to it.

LOB and Honey both played well, along with close on 18 others.

People who are lamenting that Honey and LOB haven't been in the AFL side and blaming Teague don't seem to even try to consider the fact that maybe they've come into the AFL team and performed well BECAUSE they were held back and made to work on things...maybe Teague should be getting credit for the development we've seen in certain players this year?

We've had our fair share of issues this year, but quite a few younger players have seemingly developed and improved. LOB & Honey from last night, but throughout the year the list includes guys like Dow/Kennedy/Stocker/McKay/JSOS/TDK. Walsh & Weitering gone to even higher levels.

It’s not a negative. I want Clarkson in the same way I wanted Malthouse. Personally I think Malthouse was a better fit considering what he had recently done with such a young side in an era with powerhouse sides compared to Clarkson who is somewhat responsible for Hawthorns problems after recruiting a midfield of Wingard, Mitchell and Jager who are all in their prime and not up to it.

I really fear Clarko will be another MM situation.

People forget that MM was coming off consecutive Grand Finals including a premiership...he was at the top of his game and still failed miserably with us. Clarko's Hawks team have been poor for a number of years now. He's also spoken about wanting to spend more time with family and friends.

Starting from scratch to build something takes time and total commitment...I'm not sure Clarko has that in him right now.

We've seen a lot of good things under Teague...let's bring in some quality assistants and I think we'll get back up the ladder. Let's not forget he's a new coach that has had to deal with COVID impacted years, which has resulted in him having less support in the coaching ranks. He hasn't had a proper go at it yet with a good coaching team around him.

Stays for 2022 with better assistants and sees out his contract.

If he doesn't meet his KPI's again, then we move on.

Anybody who hires Clarko for 2022 would be brave. This is like a nasty break up where time to heal is required. Would you marry someone a couple of months after they ended a 17 year marriage?

It'd be another Mick coaching for all the wrong reasons.

But we didn’t beat North, they smashed us. We’ve been getting smashed by teams we should beat all year, but Teague has been banging his head against the wall by backing older players, and unfit players, and players out of position, who aren’t getting the job done, and failing.

Instead he could have brought in younger players with potential to be better, to provide spark, like Sydney got, and *, and North, and like we got from LOB and Honey last night, and we would be better placed.
Exactly we would’ve given up hope of finals after that loss.
how many young players played for Sydney last week compared to last year? They had about two players under 21. They do exactly what we have been doing. Drop or don’t play kids who aren’t ready. I think you couldn’t have picked a worse example. Just look at someone like Stephens. It’s all performance based with them and their kids, just like we seem to be doing.

People who are lamenting that Honey and LOB haven't been in the AFL side and blaming Teague don't seem to even try to consider the fact that maybe they've come into the AFL team and performed well BECAUSE they were held back and made to work on things...maybe Teague should be getting credit for the development we've seen in certain players this year?

We've had our fair share of issues this year, but quite a few younger players have seemingly developed and improved. LOB & Honey from last night, but throughout the year the list includes guys like Dow/Kennedy/Stocker/McKay/JSOS/TDK. Walsh & Weitering gone to even higher levels.

People aren't used to seeing proper development. They are impatient and so used to seeing the kids being thrown into the team unprepared that the narrative now that it's turning around has become 'young players are being held back'. For years my Carlton supporting friends and I have been commenting on how slight of frame and unprepared our kids have been when coming into the team, how easily pushed off the ball they have been, I'd be happy to see the back of that.

People forget that MM was coming off consecutive Grand Finals including a premiership...he was at the top of his game and still failed miserably with us. Clarko's Hawks team have been poor for a number of years now. He's also spoken about wanting to spend more time with family and friends.

Starting from scratch to build something takes time and total commitment...I'm not sure Clarko has that in him right now.

We've seen a lot of good things under Teague...let's bring in some quality assistants and I think we'll get back up the ladder. Let's not forget he's a new coach that has had to deal with COVID impacted years, which has resulted in him having less support in the coaching ranks. He hasn't had a proper go at it yet with a good coaching team around him.
People are re-writing history with Malthouse, he was beating Clarko at the time with a worse side.

Interesting reading from a hawks poster on their board, Open Positions.

It may have already been mentioned here but they’re stating Clarko has already selected his next club and was actively trying to bring a player from Hawks to that club.

Obv have no idea about their credibility

👏👏👏

Alistair Clarkson is a far superior coach and there’s risk attached but he is much more innovative.

Mick Malthouse benefited greatly from the influence of Nathan Buckley tactically in 2010/2011.

With our core of high quality players, Clarkson would not be ‘starting from scratch’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly we would’ve given up hope of finals after that loss.
how many young players played for Sydney last week compared to last year? They had about two players under 21. They do exactly what we have been doing. Drop or don’t play kids who aren’t ready. I think you couldn’t have picked a worse example. Just look at someone like Stephens. It’s all performance based with them and their kids, just like we seem to be doing.

I haven't paid much attention to Sydney's subs, but how often have they dropped a kid to sit on the bench all game, rather than gather some form in the 2s?

And our issue isn't dropping or not playing kids who aren't ready, it's the inconsistent standards applied to different players.

I haven't paid much attention to Sydney's subs, but how often have they dropped a kid to sit on the bench all game, rather than gather some form in the 2s?

And our issue isn't dropping or not playing kids who aren't ready, it's the inconsistent standards applied to different players.

Again, apart from Murphy, who are these senior players that have been gifted games ahead if youth?

Unless, Clarko has become a negative force at the club, or is cooked. Hence my comparison to Malthouse..

You're forgetting one factor. Hawthorn also have a president with an ego that would rival Donald Trump's.

Kennett is the boss and if he feels he's not getting that respect or that he's being challenged he'll happily knife Clarkson.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Again, apart from Murphy, who are these senior players that have been gifted games ahead if youth?

Gibbo when he was in shocking form, Martin and Gov when they weren't fit, Newnes and Newman when they were in poor form.

It's not just about the older players though. It's about the inconsistency of selection. Cottrell when his form dropped off kept getting played ahead of LOB. Owies out 'managed', and clearly needed the break, but has been played the last 2 weeks. Was similar for Fogerty.

Gibbo when he was in shocking form, Martin and Gov when they weren't fit, Newnes and Newman when they were in poor form.

It's not just about the older players though. It's about the inconsistency of selection. Cottrell when his form dropped off kept getting played ahead of LOB. Owies out 'managed', and clearly needed the break, but has been played the last 2 weeks. Was similar for Fogerty.

Gibbo, Newnes, Newman have higher output than many of the youth

Both Gov, Martin have xfactor, just like Cunners, all 5hese types are inconsistent in output, nothing new there

Have already covered LOB, as to why he wasn't playing, who is a different player to Cotts

Just so I understand this, do you believe we should be playing youth ahead of senior players?

I see it very differently regarding moron Malthouse who imo was clearly not invested in Carlton that became fairly obvious in his second season .
His tantrums where so childish media baited him and he bit every time .
Couldnt wait to get him out of the club .
I really do think Clarkson would be much more professional than Malthouse was at that time .

You're forgetting one factor. Hawthorn also have a president with an ego that would rival Donald Trump's.

It's almost as though you are forgetting Eddie tbh. Not such a large difference between Hawks and Pies in that regards.

Interestingly, as is so often the case for Carlton coaches the 'graveyard' game is the Gold Coast.

Ratten (loss to GC that killed finals chances in a match with many echoes of this week to be honest..), Malthouse (actually 2 weeks later, but it was a 9pt loss at home to the Lions that started things...), Walls (bad after the siren loss to the Bears),
Pagan (117pt loss to Brisbane) all sacked after bad losses to Queensland teams.

Now Teague. Lose next week and he is almost certainly gone imo. 8-14 record with bad losses late in the year = unpalatable. Win, and we are 'playing for a finals spot' and I reckon he stays.

It's almost as though you are forgetting Eddie tbh. Not such a large difference between Hawks and Pies in that regards.
Nah Kennett is a different breed to Eddie. Kennett would run over his own grandmother if it got him what he wanted.

Gibbo, Newnes, Newman have higher output than many of the youth

Both Gov, Martin have xfactor, just like Cunners, all 5hese types are inconsistent in output, nothing new there

Have already covered LOB, as to why he wasn't playing, who is a different player to Cotts

Just so I understand this, do you believe we should be playing youth ahead of senior players?

Gibbo had a 5 touch 4 clanger game, but we dropped Samo who was moved up the field for the first time and had it 19 times. Gov and Martin didn't have any X factor when they were clearly underdone.

To be clear, I don't think a kid should be held to a higher standard to gain selection than what a senior player is.
And if the output is going to be similar, then I would pick the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back