Official Match Thread S32 Round 9 - Sin City Swamprats vs Dragons FFC at Underground Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love these do gooders at the MCC, who have decreed that terms such as "batsman" and "third man" have no place in the modern game. I'm curious about the new term for third man - maybe "really, really deep slip"?

I’m confused, if I’m watching a men’s cricket match can I not use those terms?

I’m confused, if I’m watching a men’s cricket match can I not use those terms?
Apparently it's still sexist, and it's no longer man of the match - it's now hero of the match.

Last edited:
Apparently it's still sexist, and it's no longer man of the match - it's now hero of the match.

Well there goes any value the word hero had left.

Player of the match would make more sense from a gender-neutral standpoint. I don’t see why I can’t use terms based on who I’m watching though?
In the Olympics is it the WR for fastest PERSON in the world over X distance? Because that’s not accurate if it’s the women’s event.

Well there goes any value the word hero had left.

Player of the match would make more sense from a gender-neutral standpoint. I don’t see why I can’t use terms based on who I’m watching though?
In the Olympics is it the WR for fastest PERSON in the world over X distance? Because that’s not accurate if it’s the women’s event.
I assume terms like night watchman and team management will now become night watchperson and team personagepersont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonz, I've been a bit bored in lockdown, so I got out of bed and took my dog for a walk through the cemetery.
On the way I passed another guy, and he said "morning".

"No" I said "I'm just walking the dog".
Lmao

Gotta love these do gooders at the MCC, who have decreed that terms such as "batsman" and "third man" have no place in the modern game. I'm curious about the new term for third man - maybe "really, really deep slip"?
I didn't think "third man" or MOTM was altered. I've got no problem with batsmen/batter changing - most kids just say batter nowadays anyway.

Fielding position names aren't in the rule book, so I think that'll just evolve naturally. They just call it "third" in the women's matches, and with names like "silly mid off" I can't see it being any silllier.

Hero of the match sounds like BBL spin. Player of the Match is the common sense destination.

I didn't think "third man" or MOTM was altered. I've got no problem with batsmen/batter changing - most kids just say batter nowadays anyway.

Fielding position names aren't in the rule book, so I think that'll just evolve naturally. They just call it "third" in the women's matches, and with names like "silly mid off" I can't see it being any silllier.

Hero of the match sounds like BBL spin. Player of the Match is the common sense destination.

I'm tipping Ant Bear will be the "Hero of the match" on Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back