Vale John Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t hide from the truth my man.

There is a saying that says 'The only thing we owe the dead is the truth'.

At this time though, condolences to his family and friends. I shall say no more.

Never wavered in his support or passion. If he’d retired after 1999 he’d have been better for it. Anyone who gets good character references from their exes can’t be too bad.

Two cups won under his tenure. Salary cap fiasco can never take them away.

Vale Big Jack. Thanks for all the colour.

A great pres for you guys and a shock when someone with such a high profile passes.

A funny memory I have is when he was kicked out of an MCG lunch (or something similar) for smoking during 1994 finals and he was then on the footy show that week and said well that's why we're playing at Waverley this week, we can smoke there!

Certainly a character and not many around these days.
He was a good president. Like Alan McAllister at that same time, he got things done. That he did.

Last edited:

Never wavered in his support or passion. If he’d retired after 1999 he’d have been better for it. Anyone who gets good character references from their exes can’t be too bad.

Two cups won under his tenure. Salary cap fiasco can never take them away.

Vale Big Jack. Thanks for all the colour.
he sold the family home without informing his wife, Amanda.............shows a certain sense of style..............

Must've knocked his head pretty badly, dang.

It can be very innocuous too. :(

My Dad fell down the bottom two steps of our old family home verandah when he was 81. Only grazed his knee, didn't bump his head. The day before his longtime (30ish years) GP said he was in super health for his age. However, the fall triggered something and he died at home a little over a week later.

RIP Jack.

You were larger than life, sometimes to your own detriment and that of the club, but no-one can ever doubt that you were blue through and through and whatever errors you made it was always in service of the club you loved.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How does that make him a “whisker away from Prime Minister”?
Leaving aside the whisker, not sure where it came from, the general gist is that he was touted as a future PM at that time. It was a different era. He loved CFC, that's what matters.

My Dad fell down the bottom two steps of our old family home verandah when he was 81. Only grazed his knee, didn't bump his head. The day before his longtime (30ish years) GP said he was in super health for his age. However, the fall triggered something and he died at home a little over a week later.
My condolences. :(

This does makes me curious how a relatively small fall could do that, even if that person is old. Maybe there were unrealised internal injuries that caused an infection? I'm not sure, but to be in a hospital for weeks after a fall, my guess there was a brain haemorrhage in Elliott's case. Or a broken hip that couldn't be surgically fixed and infection got to him at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My condolences. :(

This does makes me curious how a relatively small fall could do that, even if that person is old. Maybe there were unrealised internal injuries that caused an infection? I'm not sure, but to be in a hospital for weeks after a fall, my guess there was a brain haemorrhage in Elliott's case. Or a broken hip that couldn't be surgically fixed and infection got to him at the end.

Sometimes a fall will be the first that you hear/learn of it , an older person may have had previous falls that only they know about and don’t tell/keep secret as they are afraid that their family , career or doctor will start to take their independence from them.

Sometimes a fall will be the first that you hear/learn of it , an older person may have had previous falls that only they know about and don’t tell/keep secret as they are afraid that their family , career or doctor will start to take their independence from them.
[

Understand some didn't like him .................

Not pretentious; and a great CFC man. I'm sad!

He was a Carlton man who did the same thing at Carlton that others were doing at Essendon and Melbourne. He was ostracised at the end with some justification. However, his impact on the formation of the league we have now is not exactly small.

For those not aware of the Elliot impact on the formation of the league we have today

Rebellion in the Ranks – The Story of the VFL Breakaway that almost was

In 1984, John Elliot was concerned. As the Carlton delegate to the VFL all he could see was delegates interested in how things affected their individual clubs. He was dismayed at the overall lack of direction for the VFL itself. Nothing of value was done during the delegate meetings, deals were done outside them, and Elliot felt that the bigger clubs – Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond were left out in the cold on far too many matters, where the VFL executive could get by with the other 8 clubs.

At the end of each season, the leagues income would be divided equally amongst all the VFL clubs. Elliot found himself wondering why the leagues better drawing clubs werent recieving more of the income.

Only that he didnt think it through enough - players are now restricted by earnings potential which is against the law actually.

RIP Jack. Was a great Carlton man, a mercurial and contradictory character, and a fine president of the club, at least for his first decade at the helm. He was a seriously bright man in the 1980s, with big balls and a big personality. And he ran a good operation.

By the time we won in 95, the club felt like the complacent old guard. The Legends Stand was an obviously sub-standard solution to Elliott's dreams of independence. The powers that were, at the AFL, Vic government, council etc were not charmed by Elliott, and they were happy to cripple the redevelopment. The professionals were in control, and notions of maverick innovation and succeeding through force of personality were to be punished, and Elliott's wings clipped.

By 2002 the party was over, the team was cooked and Elliott was certainly past his prime. And the AFL made Carlton pay, more for refusing to come to heel, than for salary cap cheating.

On the day the club had Sayers, Cook and Voss appear together for the first time, a very significant day for the club where the new leaders sold a plan to make Carlton great again, the last great Carlton president, who was also partly responsible for the club's 20 year purgatory, passed away.

There will be a time and proper place to discuss him in a historical sense. Tonight/next few days are not that time.

Pretty sure he shares an ideal with a lot of us. He loved the Carlton Football Club

Condolences to the family. R.I.P John Elliott

Only that he didnt think it through enough - players are now restricted by earnings potential which is against the law actually.

Topic for another discussion - but yes and no. Experts are kind of divided on the subject.

On point though, Elliot believed the club should have taken the league to court over the salary cap penalties - something the club stood a good chance of winning. Theres a reason the AFL always chooses negotiated penalties over outright punishment (see Adelaide and Melbourne)

Everybody makes mistakes.

Some bigger than others.

Sometimes intentional, sometimes not.

Sometimes mistakes aren't mistakes and they are other things.

Sometimes we can overcome those mistakes and sometimes they haunt us and destroy us for the rest of our lives.

You can decide to deride and loathe John Elliott and what he did to the Carlton Football Club. That's your call. However, you should appreciate all of the good that he supported and enabled.

Take the time to appreciate the gray in life.

John wasn't all bad. John helped provide me a childhood full of treasured Carlton memories.

With Sayers, Diesel, Cook, and now Vossy the time for the Carlton Football Club to rise from the ashes like the Phoenix is now.

Thank you for all the good, John.

Rest in Peace.

Condolences to family, friends, acquaintances and supporters.

Largely how I feel, has made me think this evening how we like to view people and situations as all one thing or another.

On one hand i associate him with great memories of Carlton growing up, but also I remember very clearly 2002, was there the night at Moonee Valley when a no confidence vote in the board was passed and you could tell he and others were lying through their teeth about the severity of the salary cap situation.

Then there’s also the disconnect with his sexist and racist comments with the generosity those closest to him and even those who just crossed his path once rave about.

RIP big Jack, despite a fair few different perspectives on life he and I share, im sure if we caught up upstairs or wherever we end up, he’d be great company and know his love of CFC is as great as mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back