Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing marking display. But his kicking must have been really off, as watching the highlights after several marks within 20-30 meters out, only to then see him kick his second towards the end :)

You know what we've been missing?

It was the anticipation of a long kick inside 50 when Petrie and Waite used to be down there. One of them would go up and clunk a big one whilst the crowd would go nuts. I miss that s**t.

Comben bring that back pls.
People talk about Scott doing really well with a poor list..

Tall forwards of Petrie, Waite and Brown? Bit to work with there.

It's only with hindsight that I ever really thought about the fact that Harvey, Petrie, Waite, Brown, Thompson, Tarrant, Dal Santo, Higgins were some pretty ******* solid names to have in your team. They'd kick s**t through NM of 2022.

It's only with hindsight that I ever really thought about the fact that Harvey, Petrie, Waite, Brown, Thompson, Tarrant, Dal Santo, Higgins were some pretty ******* solid names to have in your team. They'd kick s**t through NM of 2022.
Some kid named Wells was handy on his day too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some kid named Wells was handy on his day too.
Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, S Gibson, LT, Jacobs, Spud. That isn't a bad list, plus a bunch of other players like Patch, Narni, Ats and Lmac were doing okay back then and Taylor Garner was great when he was not injured.

Not alot of depth or outside run, which continually showed us up in those years from 2014-16.

Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, S Gibson, LT, Jacobs, Spud. That isn't a bad list, plus a bunch of other players like Patch, Narni, Ats and Lmac were doing okay back then and Taylor Garner was great when he was not injured.

Not alot of depth or outside run, which continually showed us up in those years from 2014-16.
A team worthy enough to pinch a flag not one worthy of back to back glory. Definitely had an opportunity to pinch one.. form on its day was best to beat the best also form on its day would lose to the worst. That game vs Fold Coast in 15 made me vomit..

A team worthy enough to pinch a flag not one worthy of back to back glory. Definitely had an opportunity to pinch one.. form on its day was best to beat the best also form on its day would lose to the worst. That game vs Fold Coast in 15 made me vomit..
Could never stop a run on. Once a team had momentum with outside run and carry the siren couldn't come any sooner.

At the same time none of the top teams played that style, certainly missed a golden opportunity in 2015.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Loved LT. What I’d give to have a forward pressure, X-factor goal kicking machine like Lindsay right now who absolutely loved our club.

Also Greenwood of the Levi variety had built into a pretty handy player before he took the coin to move to the Pies.

I assume Comben is not playing? That’s the issue when you have a plethora of talls playing well in the fwd line.

Oh well
This might sound harsh but if Patch doesn’t pick Charlie then he should face the full force of the review.
Don’t risk it Patchy. Do the right thing.

Was utter nonsense.

In fact I think he underachieved with the list he had at his disposal.

As for Comben, I just hope he shows ability at AFL level and STAYS FIT.

Him and Cunners back are an exciting way to finish a dismal year imo.

This might sound harsh but if Patch doesn’t pick Charlie then he should face the full force of the review.
Don’t risk it Patchy. Do the right thing.
Everybody can see whose place in the forward line Charlie Comben should take but it's probably not going to happen before the end of this season for reasons that should be equally obvious.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back