Autopsy Vs GC Franchise - Goldys 300th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Johnson reckons Charlie Comben is a good set shot.

Perhaps it's more by way of prediction, for the moment when Charlie actually converts a few. Putting aside the cheap laughs at Johnson's expense, Comben is showing a bit, hits a pack in a way that Larkey isn't renowned for, and his repeat efforts are first class. it will happen, hopefully a bag is not far away

Well said.

Somebody had to say it.

This time last season JHF was being touted as the having the best six possession game in history almost. In reality, he had a few minor flashes of good play amongst some mediocre performances. Chom, in his first half dozen games has really done nothing. Fair enough, he's young and big men take time but he's been in the system a fair while now and as yet, he's yet to show what he might one day be capable of.
I was at the game yesterday, bloody awful all over the ground. I will say Stevo is benefitting massively from Comben's work. No he's not taking grabs BUT from what I saw yesterday NO-ONE was lowering their eyes and kicking it to our forward's advantage just long high bombs. Comben at least creates a contest and opportunities for guys like Stevo. That said, the forwards were also very stationary. There was 1 lead presented by our forwards all game and that was by Zurhaar. What was frustrating yesterday is just seemed completely incapable of stopping the suns short kicking, uncontested marking, high possession game. That comes down to system.

Sheezle, Bergman and Goater looked more capable than any other players in defence. Logue and Ziebell have been ok. The others have leaked goals left right and centre.
Agree,,,, from what I could tell at the ground, bringing Hall in has changed the dynamic of ball movement out of defense. The few times it came out cleanly was when it found its way in to Sheezel's hands and he hit a target. Hall running it out and then bombing it just bouncing back. Was noticeable suns were trying to put some work into a tag on Sheez, with Lmac running through and breaking it. Perhaps the Suns got their desired result with us using Hall instead of Sheez. Yeah Hall's form has been good and deserved a game, but I can't help think we need to back the kids with good kicking skills.

One passage of play that totally sums up this game, and sadly is stuck in my memory.

After 2 or 3 15m kick marks from a kick in, and probably a grand total of about 25m gained, the next kick went to a 1 on 3 contest on the wing, who was our one v their three ? none other than that contested marking aerial threat Kayne Turner.

I’ll say one thing, it reflects on where we are at. The importance to work hard when you dont have the pill is just as important when you do have the pill. How many times I saw our half forwards flat footed when opposing half backs got on their bikes was a disgrace. It was pathetic, it was insipid it was ******* soft. RUN YOU campaignerS! ******* RUN.

Last edited:
Lack of effort was by far the biggest negative of today. Feel for Goldy.
I agree. I can cope with losing if the effort is there (as much as we all hate losing). Maybe the travel, a few players being played not 100% fit (?LDU, Larkey) is contributing but just show you are interested or bring in players who are regardless of form. Can they be any worse at this point?

I was at the game, you guys keep saying lack of effort, trust me it wasn’t. Honestly our boys aren't as bad as some of you are making out. There was plenty of running and effort off the ball.

Some brain farts per usual but believe me the game plan and player mix is making our boys look so much worse than they are.

They’re not just learning to master one game plan either, they’re learning multiple without even completing the first one lol. Clarko just constantly changing it up every two games.

• Even when the ball was in our F50 our back line was soooo confused lol. I was just watching them all constantly pointing and adjusting. It was a mess off screen. Reminder that our main back three have never really played together. This zoning thing is going to take a lot of time :(

• He changed ball movement again. More up the line this time instead of the middle. Very different than the first two games.

• We also sat further back this game and didn’t push as high up.

• Clearly the boys are still working out how to deal with being thrown all these different instructions.

• He also has this constant positional rotation thing happening. I can’t fathom how difficult this must be for the players but it’s going to be awesome when it clicks.

• Gold Coast pressure was intense.

Bloke was cool as a cucumber in the press conference. He knows it’s going to take time.

Persistence. Patience.
Appreciate your view. From the couch, for some players (not all), it looks like lack of effort.

I was at the game, you guys keep saying lack of effort, trust me it wasn’t. Honestly our boys aren't as bad as some of you are making out. There was plenty of running and effort off the ball.

Some brain farts per usual but believe me the game plan and player mix is making our boys look so much worse than they are.

They’re not just learning to master one game plan either, they’re learning multiple without even completing the first one lol. Clarko just constantly changing it up every two games.

• Even when the ball was in our F50 our back line was soooo confused lol. I was just watching them all constantly pointing and adjusting. It was a mess off screen. Reminder that our main back three have never really played together. This zoning thing is going to take a lot of time :(

• He changed ball movement again. More up the line this time instead of the middle. Very different than the first two games.

• We also sat further back this game and didn’t push as high up.

• Clearly the boys are still working out how to deal with being thrown all these different instructions.

• He also has this constant positional rotation thing happening. I can’t fathom how difficult this must be for the players but it’s going to be awesome when it clicks.

• Gold Coast pressure was intense.

Bloke was cool as a cucumber in the press conference. He knows it’s going to take time.

Persistence. Patience.
I saw a handful of occasions each quarter which suggests there is a significant effort issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be more concerned that Alastair Clarkson got outcoached by Stewey Dew.

Let that sink in.
I'm still trying to get me head around your 10,000 first round draft picks and infinite leg-ups from the Establishment when you're inevitably s**t - every year since franchise inception..

Man the negativity on this board is amazing. This is no different to how the Hawks looked early days under Clarko, there was confusion everywhere.
Our pressure was poor, contested marking and ball use need work for sure.
The defensive group need time to gel, that might take 5-6 weeks.
The players may have felt a bit rattled from last week and aren't quite all on the same page with Ben McKay coming into the side.
It showed how important Simpkin is, Mr consistent, geez we missed him in that Hawks and GC games for sure.
One thing I can agree on is we looked better with Bergman and Goater's speed and decision making off half back, but perhaps we don't want to be winning too many games and will set ourselves for the Hawks, GWS and WCE games later in the year.
We probably got a bit lucky playing Freo and WCE early, but having said that we were usually no good under Scott in round 1 and 2, so that's different.

Utterly wretched - thoroughly dismantled by a mediocre opponent playing mediocre football. Last week, giving the benefit of the doubt, looked more like the kind of tactical teething problems you sometimes have to cop with a new coach and a developing side - tonight confirmed it's much worse than that, and showed we can be just as insipid, feeble and disinterested as last year, the year before, the year before that...

It's genuinely hard to come up with players who warrant a pass mark for today's performance. Stephenson was good again - Ziebell showed intent - ......?

Trouble is, no-one's got a simple solution. We've (quite rationally) stocked up on middling placeholder types in the hope that they, together with aging but serviceable veterans, can at least play a role in the gameplan while we wait for younger developing players to make a sound enough case for selection - games like this show that that's not really working as well as it should. But to instead "play the kids" for the sheer sake of it feeling more like something's in development, wear another year in the cellar, pick up more "top end talent" to join the thirteen first-round picks already on our list, and pretend that this time, finally, it'll give us more than hollow fantasies of competence? Is that really - really - any better?!

Despite the glaring weaknesses, I don't think you have to overrate our list to think that the 23 we fielded are, individually, better than this: Bailey Scott was third in the Syd last year, LDU's form late last season and early this year was excellent, with only a couple of notable exceptions we basically have a fully fit list to pick from - so why is Scott so out of touch, LDU's influence so limited, etc.?

There's no excuse for producing such an indifferent display today, and given we haven't varied the starting side too much yet and this is where that's left us, I'd be keen to see a fair few changes made for the Melbourne match. Not that I have any confidence it'll matter - barely feels like there's any point being invested in this side lately...
We'll be bottom four this year and realistically I think it would have been hopeful to think otherwise given how pathetic we were for the last two seasons.

A large part of it has to do with the state of our list. We've got players who are in our best 22 who wouldn't get a game at another club.

We've definitely got some talent but we're carrying too much dead wood.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what we look like after two seasons with Clarko in charge, if history is anything to judge him by he won't tolerate the sloppy disposal being dished out at the moment. I have a feeling that we'll be a very different side come the end of 2024.

Stunningly good work for Brad to pick out what is close to Charlies biggest weakness. AFL commentary is in good hands.

We'll be bottom four this year and realistically I think it would have been hopeful to think otherwise given how pathetic we were for the last two seasons.

A large part of it has to do with the state of our list. We've got players who are in our best 22 who wouldn't get a game at another club.

We've definitely got some talent but we're carrying too much dead wood.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what we look like after two seasons with Clarko in charge, if history is anything to judge him by he won't tolerate the sloppy disposal being dished out at the moment. I have a feeling that we'll be a very different side come the end of 2024.
Will be interesting which Club stalwarts are cut first out of Jack ,Goldy and Cunnington . Ben has another year but I feel it may well be Goldstein as Xerri will be handed the number 1 ruck spot next season. Big Al has pretty much said as much.

Will be interesting which Club stalwarts are cut first out of Jack ,Goldy and Cunnington . Ben has another year but I feel it may well be Goldstein as Xerri will be handed the number 1 ruck spot next season. Big Al has pretty much said as much.
You'd have to think so if X is fit.

Ben10 was better yesterday but still looked off with his disposal. I'm beginning to think time is catching up with him and when it does his end will come fairly quickly.

Jack? He's contributing solidly at the moment and has reinvented himself in his current role. If he can maintain it no reason why he shouldn't go around for another year.

Ben10 was better yesterday but still looked off with his disposal. I'm beginning to think time is catching up with him and when it does his end will come fairly quickly.

Jack? He's contributing solidly at the moment and has reinvented himself in his current role. If he can maintain it no reason why he shouldn't go around for another year.
Jack is playing good footy. Surprisingly. 1682315950582.jpeg

Probably but Goldy been such a great servant of the club, I might be wrong but I really think he is the sort of guy who'd take a rookie contract and be happy to play VFL and help mentor/guide the kids as an onfield coach and be back up for AFL if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back