Autopsy 28 point loss vs. GWS franchise

Remove this Banner Ad

Negs:
  • Taking the piss selecting an intercept defender as the sub.
  • I’ve been a Hall advocate in the past but he’s having a terrible season. I counted 700 missed targets back to back in the first half.
  • Unfortunately playing one down with Phoenix in the team. I’d look to Bob Hansen after the bye.
  • PC lazy. Biggest disappointment for the season after what he was doing in the pre-season.
  • CCJ would have to be the worst set shot in the league, right? Looks so good up until the time he has to shoot for goal, where he doesn’t even remotely look likely.
  • Getting a lot of the basics wrong, like structure at defensive stoppage. The one where Toby G was allowed to stroll through and kick a goal should never happen if you’re set up properly.

Pos:
  • Wardlaw rising star nom this week? Absolute weapon.
  • Bailey is going to back up his top 3 in the Syd with another high finish.
  • TT played the best game he‘s played since 2021.
  • Will Phil went off the boil after quarter time, but I remember that’s what LDU used to do - he’d have one quarter where you’d think “woahhh” then go missing, before he eventually pieced it all together.
  • LDU, Jy and Hugh to come back over the next couple of games.

Last edited:
Look. It wasn’t horrible, but I look at a team like Hawthorn, arguably earlier in a rebuild than us yet performing better. How is that happening?
I wouldn't say Hawks are earlier in a rebuild, I think its deceptive in that like us they've been rebuilidng the last 5 years but they've had some stability in the coaching setup and development system. Mitchell coached a lot of the Worpel, Day, Moore, Lewis and Koschitzke types in the VFL for a year and then a year at AFL level. A core group of those players know his system already and can teach the young draftees.
Our senior players are not All-Australian/Premiership quality and are learning the gameplan at the same time as the young draftees.
I feel like in time this will correct if we have a stable coaching program and proper development system set up and the winning culture is built.

Thought we played alright. I know the losses are tough to take but I try to focus on the improvement/development of the young guys each week.
To me this year is about gameplan and role education for a lot of the players and setting up a proper development system.
The VFL wins are encouraging and eventually that will translate to the AFL level as the young guys build together at both levels.
GWS are a better team than their record suggests, they could easily be pushing for the 8 if they'd won some of their close losses.
They looked bigger, more experienced and fitter than us. Locked us in our back 50 for most of the 3rd quarter it felt like.
GWS have better senior players obviously, that was a very big difference, more quality and athleticism across all lines.
I think our players seemed a bit fumbly, might be wet deck or expecting the tackle pressure before it actually came like Sheez and Bergman examples.
We missed LDU, Greenwood and Simpkin to give the young kids a chop out in the middle who aren't quite fit enough to run out a full game just yet but that may pay off a bit in the long term. I think there's a push and pull between individual player development vs team development/winning.
Looked to me like balancing giving the young mids like Phillips, Powell, Sheez and Wardlaw time together in the middle when the game is "in the balance" to see what they have in them and experience those moments, and what they can build together vs say chucking in Shiels, Thomas and Zurhaar.
Players like Goldy, Hall, Ziebs, Shiels, Corr and Spicer will eventually be replaced in time but only really Lazzaro, Howe, Perez and Dawson performed well in VFL. Cooper and Hansen Jnr aren't ready yet physically and fitness wise. Set them for WCE game perhaps? Curtis Taylor and Young not great in VFL.
I get the calls about Spicer but I can't honestly say the potentially more talented PC was any better when he gets a chance, lacking confidence?
He kicked the ball straight along the ground with an early possession. I don't know how the f... you do that with his ability, mind-boggling stuff.
It will change in time when players like Goater and Brayden come into the side long term but unfortunately we can't beat time itself.
We need time to replace those who haven't worked out over the next couple of draft and trade periods and time to develop the young kids properly and pump games into them together. The young guys will also need to come back and forth between VFL and AFL like a Bergman might need to.
We just need more quality runners and ball users across all lines and that can't be fixed completely in one draft.
I still think their was a lot of positives in that apart from some poor patches. We had over 190 pressure for the first time, we just can't maintain it.
The young mids, TT, Fordy and Larkey were good. Need a bit more from the Stevo's and Zurhaar's on a consistent basis though.
Be interesting to see how we go against Dogs, Crows and Cats the next run of games. Hope we can pinch a win or at least stay competitive and get some guys back into the side and debut some young kids when they're ready. Still a lot for us to get out of this year regardless of win/loss.

Cyril's first year (and third year in brackets) vs. Spicer's third year.

Average Disposals
Cyril: 13.8 (17.3)
Spicer: 7

Average Goals
Cyril: 0.96 (1.35)
Spicer: 0.2

Average Marks
Cyril: 3.92 (4.05)
Spicer: 0.95

Average Tackles
Cyril: 3.48 (4.9)
Spicer: 4

The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.
80kg vs 64kg is where the comparison should end.

We're gifting him games to try to fast track his development while he grows an afl ready body.

He has the tools we want (raw pace), and his pressure adds a dimension. He's a preseason or two away from doing anything of note, if indeed he makes it past the cull this year.

Most of the competition can simply play keepings off from kick in to goal. A few kicks and easy marks from our fwd 50 and opposition is hitting the scoreboard.

Happens all too often.

Would love to know the % of our against score where we have absolutely no say or no touch from our backline to their score.

80kg vs 64kg is where the comparison should end.

We're gifting him games to try to fast track his development while he grows an afl ready body.

He has the tools we want (raw pace), and his pressure adds a dimension. He's a preseason or two away from doing anything of note, if indeed he makes it past the cull this year.

You just ignoring the 177cm vs 172cm...

Cause I got some news, spicer ain't growing.

We are a much better team at Marvel. The improvement of the team compared to last year and earlier this year is noticeable. The team is really competitive and are taking the game on. The wins will come.
There are some players who we are finding a lot about both good and bad. Bring Watson in next year as well as George will fill two needs.
I am feeling more positive than I have for a few years. Finally we don't need priority picks we can do this ourselves.

Some good performances in the VFL.. Laz, Perez, Dawson

Kal had 25 touches and 10 marks. What else does he need to do to break into a team that's had 11 straight losses including some beltings?
What impressed me with Dawson was his kicking. Looked scratchy last year, was perfect yesterday. Also showed plenty of dash.

We lack leadership. Our veterans are our worst decision makers.

The three goals that you highlighted in quarter 1 were:
  • half effort by Hall, letting Bedford step around him for an easy goal
  • Hall trying to pinpoint Sheezel out of defense, missing him, leading to a Sheezel fumble under pressure and a goal
  • Hall letting his man casually step around him for an uncontested mark on the goal line

The 3 in the 3rd quarter were:
  • McKay 50 after Ricardi threw it
  • McDonald letting Greene body him and volley the goal on the line
  • Ziebell and McKay watching Greene stroll through the stoppage for an easy goal, rather than close the space

Some bad luck with the first two but the last goal was really dumb defense by two experienced players.
On the Greene goal in the 3rd, LMac was bodying Greene while waiting for the ball-up. Next minute Greene is somehow goal side and walks through the stoppage. I couldn't even see LMac anywhere on the replay. It was like he just fell into a sink hole?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Corr as sub. A key defender. What are we thinking?
Spicer on an AFL field. What are we thinking?
Hall, Ziebell and McDonald in a backline together. What are we thinking?
This perfectly sums up my thinking watching the game yesterday. Ziebell was the least-worst but they can’t go together. The co-captain’s limitations are really worrying. At least we know Hall and eventually Ziebell are on their way out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lack leadership. Our veterans are our worst decision makers.

The three goals that you highlighted in quarter 1 were:
  • half effort by Hall, letting Bedford step around him for an easy goal
  • Hall trying to pinpoint Sheezel out of defense, missing him, leading to a Sheezel fumble under pressure and a goal
  • Hall letting his man casually step around him for an uncontested mark on the goal line

The 3 in the 3rd quarter were:
  • McKay 50 after Ricardi threw it
  • McDonald letting Greene body him and volley the goal on the line
  • Ziebell and McKay watching Greene stroll through the stoppage for an easy goal, rather than close the space

Some bad luck with the first two but the last goal was really dumb defense by two experienced players.
Red time scores mentioned here : opposition 6 goals, 2 pt's, us one lousy pt, it's been happening for yonks, and drives me insane, this must remedied asap.

The young guys were the main reason we were in the game in the first half. Once they tired, we were history. The old guys chugged along until the dam burst during time-on in the third quarter. When the young guys get more miles in their legs, we’ll be motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Negs:
  • Taking the piss selecting an intercept defender as the sub.
  • I’ve been a Hall advocate in the past but he’s having a terrible season. I counted 700 missed targets back to back in the first half.
  • Unfortunately playing one down with Phoenix in the team. I’d look to Bob Hansen after the bye.
  • PC lazy. Biggest disappointment for the season after what he was doing in the pre-season.
  • CCJ would have to be the worst set shot in the league, right? Looks so good up until the time he has to shoot for goal, where he doesn’t even remotely look likely.
  • Getting a lot of the basics wrong, like structure at defensive stoppage. The one where Toby G was allowed to stroll through and kick a goal should never happen if you’re set up properly.

Pos:
  • Wardlaw rising star nom this week? Absolute weapon.
  • Bailey is going to back up his top 3 in the Syd with another high finish.
  • TT played the best game he‘s played since 2021.
  • Will Phil went off the boil after quarter time, but I remember that’s what LDU used to do - he’d have one quarter where you’d think “woahhh” then go missing, before he eventually pieced it all together.
  • LDU, Jy and Hugh to come back over the next couple of games.
CCJ kicked 9 in the ressies the other week. Never looked liked missing. So that is all in the head.

At some point around 2020, our fitness dropped below acceptable levels, and we still haven't bridged that gap. Farcical really
It was never really acceptable. All those leads we gave up under Bard ... how much of that was about fitness. All those lost first round games, all those poor first halves of each season and strong finishes - examples of how poor our fitness was before Shaw came along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back