Autopsy 35 point loss vs. Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

We are building a good hard working mid field, with LDU & TT back hopefully next week.

Spicer & Laz must be dropped
I watched some not all of the VFL and TT was hardly sighted. Turner kicked 4 goals but I hope that doesn't mean he returns. They won easily but should have with the personel they had playing

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick him instead of spicer would have been a start…….he went 5-10 picks after phoenix from memory.
We sure have blown a lot of picks on deadset spuds.

I can sort of see what they were thinking with Spicer as he has speed and we were crying out for a small forward, we just got a massive dud with speed.

But FMD I’m not sure what any recruiter or list manager saw in players like Lazarro and Mahoney.

I said it in another post, the employment of Glenn Luff set this rebuild back a good 2-3 years. We should have known we had a clueless idiot when he was trying to feed us bullshit that McGuiness was going to fill our key back void.

Last edited:
I watched some not all of the VFL and TT was hardly sighted. Turner kicked 4 goals but I hope that doesn't mean he returns. They won easily but should have with the personel they had playing

TT was our game high for clearances and tackles, that's a real positive sign

I’d be giving Boomer Jnr a run. Kid looks like he has the football smarts and the hatred of * should run deep.

The bits of the VFL I saw you would think Tucker is a chance of a call up.

One of the VFL listed blokes Hope looked lively around goal.

Must have been watching a different game to me, apart from his goal Howe was woeful. How he gets a game in front of Paul Curtis is baffling

IMO Howe does a lot of things alright. Type of thing where you don't rave about it but you give it a tick and move on. Additionally he doesn't shirk the hard stuff and nor does he look lost on the field. The issue is that his worst is momentum killing madness. The type of thing where a regulation kick, as part of our forward chain, goes 20 meters wide onto an opposition chest and allows them to run the ball up the length of the ground in 10 seconds.

As for Curtis, for most of the year he has pulled out some amazing plays in between a lot of walking and jogging. Gap between his best and worst, based on this year, is probably the largest in our team at the moment.

Bit of a rollercoaster today - some stretches where I felt like we should have been more in the game except for frustrating errors, but also long periods where I was really proud to see how well we held up against a team that has been in such spectacular form. Walked away with my head held high and I hope the players and coaches did too.

One of the match reports said “gutsy and scrappy” and it kind of was, of course, but there were also glimpses of some exciting skill. Whether it’s Ratts or George playing or just time, something seems to have clicked the past two games - the attack is fun when it works and we seem much tighter defensively and much better at putting pressure on the opposition.

Really let down by a lot of turnovers but I’m feeling better about the big picture.

I think the only real issues is the ability to apply 360 degree pressure between the two arcs, we are constantly torn up by our errors leading to rebounds and scoring opportunities due to a lack of pressure and lack of defensive system. We've just improved to the point it isn't shocking, but in patches it still is.

Whilst the margin was fairly large at 3/4 time, I think our shocking decision making and execution going forward (particularly in the first half) I felt made the margin look worse than it should have been and in the end it was closer to a fair indication as to what it should have been.

We got sucked into playing Collingwood's tempo at times and it isn't something we have the toolset to play atm. I think there are a lot of positives, without Cunners, LDU or Thomas we had more clearances and almost as many contested possessions as the best midfield in the league. Sidebottom going down was a loss for them but I don't think they are missing anyone from their midfield. Phillips and Scott played good games again.

Our tackling was way off though, there were so many opportunities for players to give 100% and go hard and impact contests and lay tackles or smothers but we have too many players who aren't desperate enough to show they are good enough at AFL and you can watch it on TV and ignore it but we are haemorrhaging from the numerous paper cuts by players just not going in hard enough to impact contests.

It is what good teams do, it is what we aren't doing so we leak a lot of goals that could have been prevented. I think all their first quarter goals came from regulation turnovers, it isn't good enough against teams like West Coast, it isn't going to be good enough for the team on top of the ladder.

On the last few weeks Howe has absolutely deserved a spot ahead of Curtis. Enough of this revisionist crap. That's the whole point of omissions and senior call ups. To reward form
Howe was good last week I will grant that but other than that not sure his value. We have enough blokes turning the ball over without him adding to it.
Paul Curtis is a player we need to persist with as he has more talent in his big toe than Howe does in his whole kit bag.
Sadly I think the second year blues are playing a part with PC but like the other kids he needs to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Howe does a lot of things alright. Type of thing where you don't rave about it but you give it a tick and move on. Additionally he doesn't shirk the hard stuff and nor does he look lost on the field. The issue is that his worst is momentum killing madness. The type of thing where a regulation kick, as part of our forward chain, goes 20 meters wide onto an opposition chest and allows them to run the ball up the length of the ground in 10 seconds.

As for Curtis, for most of the year he has pulled out some amazing plays in between a lot of walking and jogging. Gap between his best and worst, based on this year, is probably the largest in our team at the moment.
Think Howe is the perfect sub. He is a neutral in a whole game as negatives equal positives but in a sub role seems to be ok. He is not a player we will need going forward but at the moment is better than a few getting a game.

Howe was good last week I will grant that but other than that not sure his value. We have enough blokes turning the ball over without him adding to it.
Paul Curtis is a player we need to persist with as he has more talent in his big toe than Howe does in his whole kit bag.
Sadly I think the second year blues are playing a part with PC but like the other kids he needs to play

No one's denying Curtis' talent. But if we leave him in the team week in week out, and he continues to pull his half assed jogging/walking schtick, it's favouritism and it's showing him that he can just rest on his laurels and he won't be punished for it.

He needs to earn his spot like everyone else. And hopefully he learns to do so throughout these demotions. Whether he's got second year blues or not

Last edited:
We sure have blown a lot of picks on deadset spuds.

I can sort of see what they were thinking with Spicer as he has speed and we were crying out for a small forward, we just got a massive dud with speed.

But FMD I’m not sure what any recruiter or list manager saw in players like Lazarro and Mahoney.

I said it in another post, the employment of Glenn Luff set this rebuild back a good 2-3 years. We should have known we had a clueless idiot when he was trying to feed us bullshit that McGuiness was going to fill our key back void.
We got bluffed by Geelong with both Lazzaro and Walker. Just prior to those drafts it was leaked that Geelong was going to reach for both players. We panicked and picked both earlier than their true values. Not sure whether it was "geelong always pick well so let's beat them" or they were on our board just later on.

When we picked Lazzaro Lloyd said "Geelong will be filthy at North there because they were hiding him away at the Geelong Falcons". The reality is they were probably laughing their heads off.

Amateur hour.

Mahoney was genuinely baffling.

What this game made me realize is how tired I am of perpetual losing week on week, year on year. Yes, in isolation the game had plenty to like - we stuck with them for long periods, avoided a likely blowout when they threatened to pull away, had lots of kids playing etc.

But I’m over excuses. Why Collingwood managed to pretty much rebuild after losing the GF turning half the team over, while we are stuck in this never ending loop…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only three other teams have scored more than 70 against the pies.

We matched them everywhere except polish. Turnovers are a bloody nightmare.

Also, we had Ben McKay and they didn’t.

Yeah Howe is an interesting one, he is amazing when he’s switched on. helps us score more and prevents plenty of goals, but he also helps concede just as many 😂

I think his most important trait is the benchmark he sets in effort and gut running required. I’m happy for him to keep playing until the others learn that’s the level of effort required.

What this game made me realize is how tired I am of perpetual losing week on week, year on year. Yes, in isolation the game had plenty to like - we stuck with them for long periods, avoided a likely blowout when they threatened to pull away, had lots of kids playing etc.

But I’m over excuses. Why Collingwood managed to pretty much rebuild after losing the GF turning half the team over, while we are stuck in this never ending loop…

I'll agree EH when this Collingwood group wins a flag. Pointless otherwise.

They're motivated. But Sidebottom will prove a huge loss to them.

Also they got what they deserved playing an undersized Murphy on Larkey. Copped their right whack there.

If they even think of playing him on a genuine KPF during a final, good luck to them.

They are drafting to their strengths. They went out and just got a whole lot of running players then drafted more. No big investment in KP but just some shrewd selections. Building on strengths not trying to cover everything at once to be a a master of none

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back