Autopsy goal loss vs *Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t see improvement? Time to go to spec savers. Spicer laid the most tackles on the ground with 9. He finds space, he’s quick, he’s improved with clean pick ups. Im not saying he’s a lock for a new contract but he is definitely moving in the right direction
So quick he got a chance in space and immediately got run down by a key defender.
Hes had 27 kicks in 10 games and one goal, as a forward. Panics when he has ball.
I hope he makes it but he looks totally out of his depth.

Wow.

There's much wrong with this. First and foremost is that Brad himself gutted the list in 2016 as an "aggressive reset" that had the subtle recruiting strategy of chucking wads of money at whoever might be half interested. When that failed Plan-B was just going to the draft with whatever picks we 'earned' (aka - do nothing). And when that didn't get instant results it was back to Plan-A but lowering the eyes to clog the list with Polec, Hall, Tyson and Pittard. And when that failed Brad went to the board with Plan-C - we need to rebuild. How Brad doesn't see his own culpability in our mess is staggering. And what's the point of the comparison anyway - that the young, baby Bombers held firm for a brave and unlikely victory against the old, grizzled warriors of the NMFC behemoth? Spare me.

Also - he's wrong. The average NMFC player today was born on March 6, 1998. The average * player today was born nearly two month earlier on January 10, 1998. The median NMFC player (Larkey) was born on June 6, 1998. The median * player (Redman) is 9-months older being born on August 26, 1997. Games wise - on average he's right. NMFC 96 v * 87. And on median NMFC 83 v * 72. But dig a little deeper. The 5 least experienced players on the ground played for NMFC (Sheezel, Ford, Spicer, Bergman & Wardlaw). Take out the three most experienced players from each team (Goldstein, Ziebell, Shiels vs Heppell, Shiel, Merrett) and the average is the same. North had 12 players in the 50-200 games sweet spot. * had 14.

But no matter how you spin it - North were easily the younger side out there today. Brad, not for the first time in a presser, is full of s**t.
Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

Of course he did. And even if his Maths was correct...so what? Do you get a bonus point if you have the slightly younger team and win anyway? Is he saying that the Bombers, by virtue of winning by a goal and achieving the stunning feat of being 6th halfway through a footy season and winning three straight against three bottom-four teams (two of which were by a point and a goal), have better young players? Or that North's just aren't any good? Or is it an excuse for struggling to beat a team all of the decent teams have made short work of this year? How many of the 14 coaches this weekend had taken the time to work that out (incorrectly)? Or even cared for one moment?

… or he’s just a coach talking up his own team, rather than saying “we’re useless, why do I even bother”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, we are moving beyond that now. He has been a great servant and how good was that knee? ******* made me horny. When it comes to those decisions and skill executions resulting in goals with depth in our twos as they are performing. JZ gets dropped this week. Has too. Corr replaces JZ. Hall may escape being dropped and he should count himself lucky.

For what it’s worth. I though Spice surprised a few with his pressure tonight and i’ll say it again. It was a pass mark for all but 2 players. If they were par. We win. They triple bogied and asked for a mulligan. No more mate. Need to take their medicine
Jack has been excellent this season. Hanging it all on him for today is ridiculous. I’ll have 500 with you that he is not dropped. Spicer does not do enough to hold a spot. Had the opportunity to have a clear shot from 30 out and bottled it and went backwards. Just does not add enough to keep out a better player. Curtis and he are opposite ends of the spectrum. Spicer chases all day but adds zero offensively. Curtis does no chasing but adds heaps offensively. I can see the dilemma but would take Curtis.

Tell ya what, I’ll take losses like last night and Sydney a couple weeks before rather than 8+ goal losses every week. It’s great watching a game to the end and not having to hope we can keep it under a 100 point loss.

“We gotta learn how to win”
It’s coming, we’ve just learnt how to stay in a game. Learn how to start a game well and we just might win a few along the way!

I’m so sick of losing.

We had every excuse to roll over and lose that by 10+ goals. Every excuse.

Missing LDU, down 1 rotation into the 2nd qtr, Simpkin subbed out at qtr time......

We showed more metal than just about the last 3 seasons combined.

Something has definitely clicked.

There's a few common denominators:

CCJ - He's provided an absolutely massive difference the last few weeks, massive. We've barely taken a contested mark across the last few seasons and he's provided an outlet to clunk them 30-70m out from goal. Comben was playing OK, but he wasn't clunking contested marks. CCJ is turning what were previously 50/50 contested situations on the wing and half forward into forward entries. Lobbe has earned millions playing this role for the last 5-6 years, CCJ is going to extremely valuable if this is his new normal.

Wardlaw - A lot has already be said, but I don't think it's a coincidence we have look immeasurably harder to play against since he came into the team. His pressure acts, tackling, ability to rapidly get the defensive side of a stoppage, knocks, bumps and general physical intimidation, ability to ride a tackler and give off to a runner can not be overstated and wont ever show on the stat sheet. If LDU and Simpkin are the most one way runners in the league, Wardlaw is probably the best young two way mid in the league. Incredible defensive impact.

Stephenson - He's really stepped up his game the last month, taking contested marks, winning one on ones, generally just being a tough match up. He's had a bit of a raw deal with the turnarounds of both clubs, but hopefully we can repay the faith as a club in the next few years, he's going to be a key component.

Ford/Scott - Both of these guys have been in terrific form, notably Scott. Scott was down on form for most of the first half of the season. We had the wet lettuce leaf on the other wing in Taylor. It's provided immeasurable drive to the side having two physical presences (Scott endurance wise and Ford power wise) pushing up and back down the wing

Logue - He's returned to beast mode of Rnd's 1 and 2 the last few weeks. He's going to be a bargain long term. It's also the first game Logue and McKay worked really well together in.

If by sooner than I think you mean in a couple of years time then yes, the script will flip in the close ones, but can't see the tide turning in the immediate future.
It’s turning already. Can’t you see that . Wouldn’t be surprised if we demolish GWS .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly, I set out with that post to highlight Phillips and omitted him.

Phillips along with Wardlaw are THE two reasons we are turning.

Phillips is just so damn clean and he's now starting to get confidence to just get in and rip the ball out at the coal face.

He's absolutely projecting to be a Tom Mitchell type for us.

We had every excuse to roll over and lose that by 10+ goals. Every excuse.

Missing LDU, down 1 rotation into the 2nd qtr, Simpkin subbed out at qtr time......

We showed more metal than just about the last 3 seasons combined.

Something has definitely clicked.

There's a few common denominators:

CCJ - He's provided an absolutely massive difference the last few weeks, massive. We've barely taken a contested mark across the last few seasons and he's provided an outlet to clunk them 30-70m out from goal. Comben was playing OK, but he wasn't clunking contested marks. CCJ is turning what were previously 50/50 contested situations on the wing and half forward into forward entries. Lobbe has earned millions playing this role for the last 5-6 years, CCJ is going to extremely valuable if this is his new normal.

Wardlaw - A lot has already be said, but I don't think it's a coincidence we have look immeasurably harder to play against since he came into the team. His pressure acts, tackling, ability to rapidly get the defensive side of a stoppage, knocks, bumps and general physical intimidation, ability to ride a tackler and give off to a runner can not be overstated and wont ever show on the stat sheet. If LDU and Simpkin are the most one way runners in the league, Wardlaw is probably the best young two way mid in the league. Incredible defensive impact.

Stephenson - He's really stepped up his game the last month, taking contested marks, winning one on ones, generally just being a tough match up. He's had a bit of a raw deal with the turnarounds of both clubs, but hopefully we can repay the faith as a club in the next few years, he's going to be a key component.

Ford/Scott - Both of these guys have been in terrific form, notably Scott. Scott was down on form for most of the first half of the season. We had the wet lettuce leaf on the other wing in Taylor. It's provided immeasurable drive to the side having two physical presences (Scott endurance wise and Ford power wise) pushing up and back down the wing

Logue - He's returned to beast mode of Rnd's 1 and 2 the last few weeks. He's going to be a bargain long term. It's also the first game Logue and McKay worked really well together in.

CCJ has added a little composure to his marking contests, he thinks his way through it and puts himself in the right spots. Charlie just goes kamikaze style, something hopefully he will learn to channel and use sparingly. Could be an interesting forward line with all 3 up there.

I thought Logue was really poor in the first half, gave way too much space to Langford on multiple occasions. Was far better in the 2nd half.

A lot to be positive about despite hating the loss.

Wardlaw
WilPhil
Sheezel
The return of TT
Buckets finding form
Larkey
The Bull
Scott
Ford
Coming along nicely:
CCJ
Radio Bergman
And we got so close with Jy and Greenwood out of action.

The future is definitely bright.
Fun Summer GIF by The Savannah Bananas

More reflections watching the replay - they got a lot more ball going through the corridor and we were pushed to the wings a fair bit more than we’d have liked, AND they won in the air down the wings a lot.

Phillips largely a positive, but his defensive running needs to improve. There was a passage of play in the first q where he allowed Merrett to win the centre clearance, only to then run straight past Will again for a hit up lead for a shot on goal 30 metres out. Later on he failed to spoil the Andrew Phillips shank kick which resulted in another goal.

As I said, he’s winning the ball and creating for his teammates but can’t be having those lapses as it costs the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back