Autopsy 35 point loss vs. Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an unfair summary. Nice to see someone in the media acknowledge that another team was playing. Hard to be too excited about the game seeing we were never really in it though.

We just were that team where if we needed to pinpoint a pass, it missed. If we needed to clunk a mark, it spilled. If we needed to nail a shot, it missed. If we needed to stick a tackle, it slipped through. If we needed to hold firm, we slipped over. It was an untidy performance but not without some merit against a team who are in some seriously hot form.

Those things can get cleaned up. The structure of the team is a mess, too many players past it or never going to reach it, and the game plan is still a work in progress. I'd like us to play angry/aggressive a bit more but overall not great, not awful yet a lot to look forward to.

I wonder how Zuurhar views his footy and where he wants it to go? Does he feel like he has reached his ceiling? The team relies on him for a reason - what’s not clicking?

I wonder how Zuurhar views his footy and where he wants it to go? Does he feel like he has reached his ceiling? The team relies on him for a reason - what’s not clicking?

He's a mid-sized forward playing as the second target in a team whose game plan is in development, and whose skill level is sub-par. He wasn't great today but he's the least of our problems.

Bit of a rollercoaster today - some stretches where I felt like we should have been more in the game except for frustrating errors, but also long periods where I was really proud to see how well we held up against a team that has been in such spectacular form. Walked away with my head held high and I hope the players and coaches did too.

One of the match reports said “gutsy and scrappy” and it kind of was, of course, but there were also glimpses of some exciting skill. Whether it’s Ratts or George playing or just time, something seems to have clicked the past two games - the attack is fun when it works and we seem much tighter defensively and much better at putting pressure on the opposition.

Really let down by a lot of turnovers but I’m feeling better about the big picture.

He's a mid-sized forward playing as the second target in a team whose game plan is in development, and whose skill level is sub-par. He wasn't great today but he's the least of our problems.
It’s not a least of our problems type of situation, it’s more that he is/could be arguably as important as LDU for us. How do we make him better?
Delivery?
Is he a better midfield or forward option for us? How can we get more out of him, more consistently?

1017118.png

Lionel Richie Hello GIF
That doesn't look like Eddie Fnord.

That's about 10k seats not sat in that could have been offered to Roos supporters.
the lack of north supporters was a bit worrying when they had 10,000 seats available. soo much for it being a sellout when the ground is littered with empty seats

I'm probably actually being a little harsh but we really needed Cam to fire today as we had our fair share of opportunities at ground level. The young guys gave us a genuine threat going forward with Greenwood in there being massively influential.

Cam is our barometer and he reflects the hot and cold form of where we are at. He got pinged a few times and I think that was just trying to break the game wide open but early, he had a few chances to get us back in and fell short. It's not his first off game this year. Larkey is in the same boat but he kicked 5 so I am not sure how to process that one lol.

I am going to be more focussed on our senior players because they are being carried by guys with less than 10 games. The magnifying glass is gonna be hot on them from here.
Do you mean Cam is a senior payer?

Pies senior players included Pendlebury and Sidebottom, Crisp, Mihocek,Moore and even DeGoey

Good:
Fords first half
Phillips & Greenwood
Scott gut running in the last. Am a knocker but the ability to turn himself from a beep test runner into an actual ball getter is the step we need.
Logue fought hard as a defender
I’ll also give Larkeys last quarter a mention but pressure off and lead ups and arms out, playing in front should also be a Non-negotiable

Overall a proud effort, yes the Pies largely took their foot off the pedal but after the 3rd quarter there was a chance our heads went down and the margin blew out. Keep fighting in the end, the next step from blow-outs is in actual fact honourable losses where the players play with pride

Negatives:
Ben McKay weak as piss
Spicer just not up to it. Sure give him one more year but bloody hell - can someone give him Bobby Hills number for some coaching?

Didn’t have a huge issue with McDonald or Howe today. Not perfect players but solid bodies. Gives Bergman, Ford, Powell types time to develop. Certainly don’t want either in by round 22 2024 but did enough today for ticks.
Also don’t see the need to drop CCJ yet - Comben and Xerri are much better yes but CCJ is a player to be kept around if he’s happy to be depth

Edit: Lazzaro also not up to it.

Another year to Spicer? You’re kidding right?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked what I saw today considering we were playing the best team in the comp. We matched them in the midfield and overall didn’t take a backward step. We hung in there and never gave up. A fit and firing LDU and Thomas would give us more skill and poise, 2.8 might be 6.4 instead. Our mistakes and turnovers are killing us. Good sides like Collingwood punish you for them. I reckon we’ll beat a good side by seasons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood just cleaner with the ball and set up better moving forward. Our ball movement was messy at times but we kept on trying. Or structure without the ball is getting better but still way off against quality sided.

We are getting there and it's our younger blokes that ara leading the way.

Phillips, Ford, Scott were excellent from the young blokes. Bergman, Powell, Sheezel and Wardlaw were good.

Greenwood was fantastic supporting the young midfield.

McKay was just terrible and I'm just not sure where he's at. Logue was very good as was LMac.

Not disappointed in the result and really pleased with the effort against a quality side. The pies may have eased up in the last but we kept our heads up and kept having a crack so i can't ask much more than that.

He broke his face two weeks ago as well.

Two things will help Zurhaar improve. More gut busting pre-season work, and having better players around him. IMO he too often thinks he has to do everything himself, or has to make the low percentage play because it's the best way to score.

It was nice that as the game went on he started to share the ball more. IIRC there were 3 occasions where he had the ball in the F50 but went with a pass (I think 2 of 3 succeeded) instead of the glory shot.

CCJ didn't have much impact but got better as the game went on. It'll happen for him and can see what he brings.

We need to keep playing these guys whilst we have the opportunity to do so. We've tried the experience route and it got us nowhere.

Our future is there for us to see. Keep playing them.
Yep feeling positive about ccj, reckon he’ll be a player

Do you mean Cam is a senior payer?

Pies senior players included Pendlebury and Sidebottom, Crisp, Mihocek,Moore and even DeGoey
Not sure if trick question but yep. These guys need to set the standard and get the job done on a consistent basis. They are very far from the issue, but if our young blokes are going to be good, they need to be complementing that too.

Backing Cam to kill it next week, maybe it was because it's his first game back. But he's approaching 100 games. I want to see the bloke break games open again.

It’s not a least of our problems type of situation, it’s more that he is/could be arguably as important as LDU for us. How do we make him better?
Delivery?
Is he a better midfield or forward option for us? How can we get more out of him, more consistently?
I think once we have a full complement of our best 22 then he does his best work inside the 50mtr arc, he is the small forward we’ve been looking for 😀

Pies played not quite near their best, but good to see some fight. The pies are very good side, a premiership threat and their pace was always a major threat. I was expecting a 10 goal thumping.

I think we are finding out who we persist with and who we shouldn’t persist with. Very pleased by the kids, Goldy, Larkey and Greenwood having a crack. Side note, but the commentary was quite complimentary of our kids, so kudos.

Positives:
  • Breakout game from Will Phillips. 29 disposals at 76%, 10 contested, 5 tackles and 5 score involvements with only 67% tog.
  • Larkey kicked 5.2 against a solid defender in Murphy and forced Moore to lock down.
  • Stevo 2.2, a few tackles and lead well up the wing.
  • Bailey is turning into an elite winger and has added a nice contested edge to his game.
  • Greenwood played a brilliant 3 quarter game. Helped neutralise and win clearances.
  • Fordy is turning into a real good hf/winger. The Robin to Scott’s Batman. The commentators really rated him and gave him plaudits nearly every time he touched it.
  • Howe was actually solid.
  • Goldy and Logue had genuine cracks today. They care more than a few atm.
  • I actually enjoyed watching the kids show a bit (Ralf Harris likes this) and having a go.
  • I like Bergman. Made some defensive errors, but he seems to be a quick learner.
  • Clearance structures in the second half.

Negatives:
  • Hate listing these.
  • Me for cracking it at ht and then coming back to watch the game 5 minutes into the third like the North meth addict that I am.
  • Sorry Laz, I like you, but I just don’t see an afl player there.
  • Likewise Phoniex.
  • McKay, made cox look like Carey.
  • Turnovers, grrrr…
  • Some posters going into player threads early to pot them.
  • Zurhaar was a bit of a momentum killer.
Must have been watching a different game to me, apart from his goal Howe was woeful. How he gets a game in front of Paul Curtis is baffling

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must have been watching a different game to me, apart from his goal Howe was woeful. How he gets a game in front of Paul Curtis is baffling

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
On the last few weeks Howe has absolutely deserved a spot ahead of Curtis. Enough of this revisionist crap. That's the whole point of omissions and senior call ups. To reward form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back