Autopsy goal loss vs *Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they really tackles? They are more nuisance value to the opposition than genuine tackles that halt play or get rewarded with a free kick.

Itā€™s like Champion Data are recording soft cuddles as a tackle these days.

Maybe, so. Overall, one of the more noticeable upticks in our play in the last few weeks is our pressure. Spicer seems to me to be a major component of that pressure. At Marvel, Iā€™ve seen him putting pressure on players where heā€™s started his run from 30 metres away. Earlier in the season, the opposition regularly ā€œsaunteredā€ down the wing. That doesnā€™t happen any more. Iā€™m sure, like you, Iā€™d prefer to see Paul Curtis in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah not him, the animated version in the royal blue, this w***er

de3d00fb52786dd1e77f9d2cd357fa36

I thought that Spicer had some good moments in the game. Very promising. Of course it would be nice if he also had Kosi Pickett's offensive game, but he seems to be doing the best with his ability the last few weeks.

I think he gets a lot more credit than he deserves. I watched the Swans game again and he played on him about 10% of the time if that.

Boo bloody hoo... let a defender defend. No one bleeds blue and white more than him. Would I like him to take the game on more, yes, but not at the expense of oppo goals.

If LMac is the only thing we can find to complain about the match we are doing fine

Are they really tackles? They are more nuisance value to the opposition than genuine tackles that halt play or get rewarded with a free kick.

Itā€™s like Champion Data are recording soft cuddles as a tackle these days.
Phoenix "The Clamp" Spicer is tracking just fine. He's like those little clip on koala's from the 80-90's.

Maybe, so. Overall, one of the more noticeable upticks in our play in the last few weeks is our pressure. Spicer seems to me to be a major component of that pressure. At Marvel, Iā€™ve seen him putting pressure on players where heā€™s started his run from 30 metres away. Earlier in the season, the opposition regularly ā€œsaunteredā€ down the wing. That doesnā€™t happen any more. Iā€™m sure, like you, Iā€™d prefer to see Paul Curtis in.

I commented in the preview thread that the biggest weakness to his tackles is his lack of size. He gets to the right positions to apply pressure but he gets swatted away too easily.

He's also not helping his cause by looking to give off the ball as soon as he gets it, like on Sunday when he gathered close to goal but chose to pass it off. Although I think he does this also due to his lack of size/strength. Prefers to give the ball off as he knows he want be able to ward off the tackler.

I think there's something to work with there, but not sure if that'll be enough to earn him another contract.

I think we've got a real weapon with our midfield availability not just in the sense of depth, but on gameday too. When Jy and Greenwood went down, I can't help but think about a long time ago when our finals chances were essentially in the hands of Swallow, JZ, Boomer, Wells, Levi etc. and if any of those guys were injured, we really struggled to sustain midfield competitiveness especially late in games. What we saw on Sunday was essentially that real flexibility to not only compete but beat our direct opponents in crucial contests despite the fact we lost our two most experienced midfielders. That's a really good sign for a young midfield group that stood up when things weren't going our way and almost pinched it in the end.

As this midfield continues to gain experience and develop, the scoreboard pressure will come as will the ability to move the ball quickly. With how fast you have to move the ball to expose teams like Geelong and Melbourne, there has to be the right mix of players in the middle. Thomas can use the ball really well and is quick, Wardlaw is a inside-burst machine, Sheezel is that classy player with elite vision and game awareness, Powell is a very good feeder in heavy traffic, Phillips is your hard nut bull that can step up in the heat of adversity (future captain) and if you add LDU... holy crap. Not to mention what Jy and Greenwood can do with less of the load on them! I'd imagine Cunners is feeling very proud because the club's fortunes doesn't rest on him anymore like it did for so many years.

There's so much potential and the midfield looks very far from one-dimensional. On Sunday, I was gaining confidence in our players to win the centre clearance as the game went on despite being two midfielders down. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm not really used to this sort of thing because we've largely been very poor with our drafting and it's always been 'are we switched on or off?' as opposed to having confidence in your group to sustain the level required. We're definitely heading towards the latter and I can't help but feel very excited about how rapidly we improve.

I think back to that horrible stretch of form in 2022 where we just looked like utter shite on repeat, that feels like it was ages ago. It feels like a completely different team at the moment.

I think we've got a real weapon with our midfield availability not just in the sense of depth, but on gameday too. When Jy and Greenwood went down, I can't help but think about a long time ago when our finals chances were essentially in the hands of Swallow, JZ, Boomer, Wells, Levi etc. and if any of those guys were injured, we really struggled to sustain midfield competitiveness especially late in games. What we saw on Sunday was essentially that real flexibility to not only compete but beat our direct opponents in crucial contests despite the fact we lost our two most experienced midfielders. That's a really good sign for a young midfield group that stood up when things weren't going our way and almost pinched it in the end.

As this midfield continues to gain experience and develop, the scoreboard pressure will come as will the ability to move the ball quickly. With how fast you have to move the ball to expose teams like Geelong and Melbourne, there has to be the right mix of players in the middle. Thomas can use the ball really well and is quick, Wardlaw is a inside-burst machine, Sheezel is that classy player with elite vision and game awareness, Powell is a very good feeder in heavy traffic, Phillips is your hard nut bull that can step up in the heat of adversity (future captain) and if you add LDU... holy crap. Not to mention what Jy and Greenwood can do with less of the load on them! I'd imagine Cunners is feeling very proud because the club's fortunes doesn't rest on him anymore like it did for so many years.

There's so much potential and the midfield looks very far from one-dimensional. On Sunday, I was gaining confidence in our players to win the centre clearance as the game went on despite being two midfielders down. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm not really used to this sort of thing because we've largely been very poor with our drafting and it's always been 'are we switched on or off?' as opposed to having confidence in your group to sustain the level required. We're definitely heading towards the latter and I can't help but feel very excited about how rapidly we improve.

I think back to that horrible stretch of form in 2022 where we just looked like utter shite on repeat, that feels like it was ages ago. It feels like a completely different team at the moment.
I only had to remember back to round 3 this year when our midfield looked hapless without Jy and LDU. Some change of personnel, and more time for instructions to click, and here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only had to remember back to round 3 this year when our midfield looked hapless without Jy and LDU. Some change of personnel, and more time for instructions to click, and here we are.
That's a very good point too.

Things seem to be clicking at the moment so maybe we've just cracked open the egg, but the omelette is still nowhere near finished.

Scott has been amazingly good the last 3 weeks, Cam is back in form, Larkey is becoming more dangerous as the season progresses, CCJ is becoming the player we would love him to be, Goldy is in good form, McKay had his best game, Logue is the man as always, Shiels is bringing leadership for 120mins, Bergman is a composure king etc.

There's so many aspects of this team's performances that have improved in such a short period of time.

The main critique of the past for me is our inability to sustain consistent performances. It's always been all over the joint. I hope that stuff changes for good.

Isn't this just case closed? Our side was younger, Brad's lying. Less games on average has nothing to do with age.

I didn't calculate it myself, used a stats website that reported those numbers as part of the game stats. I am not sure if Brad just rounded things off and came to a different result, it is close enough that a different technique could have said a different story... but in terms of accuracy, yeah, he is wrong.

I don't mind Brad, he obviously rubs people up the wrong way when he talks about the teams he is coaching, but I think he has done a pretty good job to date with Essendon. I couldn't care less really about this result, it is the way we are playing and the improvement in the younger players that I am really happy to see.

Some bloke during the last quarter stood up in the Social Club area seats and started the Kanga Roo chant

Not an inch of blue and white

Is the Kanga Roo Roo Roo a pisstake or legit?
I slid down my seat when they did that chant

Some bloke during the last quarter stood up in the Social Club area seats and started the Kanga Roo chant

Not an inch of blue and white

Is the Kanga Roo Roo Roo a pisstake or legit?
A pisstake.
I slid down my seat when they did that chant
Embrace the cringe.

On a less serious matter- the fact we've won our last two 4th quarters against the Pies and Bombers is testament to our improved fitness and the players working out adjustments during games. A stark contrast to recent years.

BTW why is there no GWS preview thread? It's a breathe of fresh air going into games excited by seeing which players will improve and even having a chance of winning.

A pisstake.

Embrace the cringe.

On a less serious matter- the fact we've won our last two 4th quarters against the Pies and Bombers is testament to our improved fitness and the players working out adjustments during games. A stark contrast to recent years.

BTW why is there no GWS preview thread? It's a breathe of fresh air going into games excited by seeing which players will improve and even having a chance of winning.

Open your eyes

A pisstake.

Embrace the cringe.

Theyā€™re fitter in the last quarters because theyā€™ve been having a snooze in first quarters šŸ˜‰

A pisstake.

Embrace the cringe.

Try showing ignored content, worked for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back