Autopsy goal loss vs *Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

caVExsPM.jpg

6GblqdPh.jpg

dRVLDrxp.jpg
Yes, but we lost.

Brad is an absolute fraud. Has a pre-game shot about the time slot being familiar … it was your home game douchebag.

Then ‘significantly younger’, just a lie. They might shade that on numbers but as one of our eminent posters pointed out earlier ‘significantly’ is just a lie. We bought the lies for so long … best of luck to them.

Seems as if these were 2 pre-planned digs, as if he thought the first match with us was somehow notable when in reality none of us gave a s**t.

They win by 5 points with Simpkin gone at quarter time and Greenwood at half time so one rotation down for a whole half… I mean, Brad talks about ‘narratives’ - was this as impressive for Essendon as the narrative seems to suggest.
Correct me if I'm wrong (Fresh BF newborn here), but wasn't the team we fielded last night literally younger? Average age for us was 24.9 compared to * being 25. Or is he talking in terms of games played?

Brad is copping a lot of stick, but I'm not sure all of it is warranted to be honest. He did get us to two prelims, the man can coach. He was also a committed and passionate North person in all of his time with us. I thought the crack about the timeslot was actually quite funny, if anything it's a reference about the poor fixturing we have historically copped.
Also a smart coach will always go into a post match presser with pre-prepared material. If you don't take hold of the narrative straight away it can very quickly become a sh*tshow. The media are looking for a story, only give them what you want to give them.
On top of that, what is he expected to say as the Essendon coach? Nothing really to see here. And they won the game, so pfft. Non discussion. It's time to start focussing on ourselves and less on the opposition.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong (Fresh BF newborn here), but wasn't the team we fielded last night literally younger? Average age for us was 24.9 compared to * being 25. Or is he talking in terms of games played?

Our average games was 95.6 vs theirs 86.6
Our average ages was 25y 3m vs theirs 25y 4m

Players less than 50 games: 8 vs 7
Players between 50-99 games: 6 vs 10
Players between 100-149 games: 4 vs 2
Players between 150-200 games: 2 vs 2
Players 200+ games: 3 vs 2

We had Goldy 34/306, Hall 32/160, Ziebell 32/270, Shiels 32/266 and Greenwood 31/113 who are hardly world beaters who pump up our averages but in terms of who is doing the heavy lifting, it isn't coming from that group.

It is just classic Brad Scott, it is like when he used to call us the youngest list in the competition and pick one of the oldest sides every week and used having a young list as an excuse for being midtable year after year. It didn't mean anything then and doesn't mean anything now, you either have the talent to challenge now or you don't, if you don't then it is all about getting more. There is nothing attractive about being young unless you are also successful.

Those younguns are our future.

They didn’t wait to be led by the senior guys - they took the lead.

Those front runners would have left feeling like it was a loss - we are coming.
Get a small gun forward (Watson) , skilled rebounder (goater , Whitfield) , Chom , LDU and we’re coming

We have done it properly this time getting as many top 5 and first rd picks as possible. Wondering how many in both sections we have on the list now . After the next draft it would be a large chunk of the list. We now just have to blend them correctly so we can get the silver ware

We have done it properly this time getting as many top 5 and first rd picks as possible. Wondering how many in both sections we have on the list now . After the next draft it would be a large chunk of the list. We now just have to blend them correctly so we can get the silver ware
A Barry Cable and an Anthony Stevens would be nice.

Gee-whiz Bard. Imagine how much younger we would have been if you helped get us some younger draft picks as a PP instead of only being able to trade for mature aged
Can guarantee you EVERY coach we come up against in the run home will talk us up, regardless of result.
“North are on the up” = “Don’t jeopardise our position in the draft order”.

Wow.

There's much wrong with this. First and foremost is that Brad himself gutted the list in 2016 as an "aggressive reset" that had the subtle recruiting strategy of chucking wads of money at whoever might be half interested. When that failed Plan-B was just going to the draft with whatever picks we 'earned' (aka - do nothing). And when that didn't get instant results it was back to Plan-A but lowering the eyes to clog the list with Polec, Hall, Tyson and Pittard. And when that failed Brad went to the board with Plan-C - we need to rebuild. How Brad doesn't see his own culpability in our mess is staggering. And what's the point of the comparison anyway - that the young, baby Bombers held firm for a brave and unlikely victory against the old, grizzled warriors of the NMFC behemoth? Spare me.

Also - he's wrong. The average NMFC player today was born on March 6, 1998. The average * player today was born nearly two month earlier on January 10, 1998. The median NMFC player (Larkey) was born on June 6, 1998. The median * player (Redman) is 9-months older being born on August 26, 1997. Games wise - on average he's right. NMFC 96 v * 87. And on median NMFC 83 v * 72. But dig a little deeper. The 5 least experienced players on the ground played for NMFC (Sheezel, Ford, Spicer, Bergman & Wardlaw). Take out the three most experienced players from each team (Goldstein, Ziebell, Shiels vs Heppell, Shiel, Merrett) and the average is the same. North had 12 players in the 50-200 games sweet spot. * had 14.

But no matter how you spin it - North were easily the younger side out there today. Brad, not for the first time in a presser, is full of s**t.
This is the classic Brad Scott quote that I’ll never forget: “We don’t believe in looking in the rear view mirror at North Melbourne…….But, history tells us………..”
Snake Oil salesman to a T. Full of s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still need more with senior players to replace and those who haven't worked out to be turned over.
Also time for games to be put into the kids, they need to get to 70 games, hopefully as a unit.
Ideally from the next two drafts we address the needs of a gun pressure/goal kicking forward (Watson), key position depth, wings who can break the lines with good skills, rebounding/lockdown defenders like a Maynard/Quaynor.
But yeah its pretty exciting seeing the pieces coming together and which kids start to grow in front of our eyes.

Brad is an absolute fraud. Has a pre-game shot about the time slot being familiar … it was your home game douchebag.

Then ‘significantly younger’, just a lie. They might shade that on numbers but as one of our eminent posters pointed out earlier ‘significantly’ is just a lie. We bought the lies for so long … best of luck to them.

Seems as if these were 2 pre-planned digs, as if he thought the first match with us was somehow notable when in reality none of us gave a s**t.

They win by 5 points with Simpkin gone at quarter time and Greenwood at half time so one rotation down for a whole half… I mean, Brad talks about ‘narratives’ - was this as impressive for Essendon as the narrative seems to suggest.
Actually, the average age of the Essendon team was 25y 129d while we were 25y 90d, but we were the more experienced team (1992-2199games). But even then, the five least experienced players on the field were Wardlaw (3), Bergman (9), Spicer (10), Ford (11) and Sheezel (12).

It was a lie by Brad to sell a bullshit story

Source: AFL Tables

Last edited:
I hope to god we don’t trade this bloke. Really rate him.
He is a natural footballer I want him to stay you can’t teach that. Protected the ball and himself and off he went all be it against a cumbersome ruckmen, he still did it .

And this is my new least favourite thing.

Eddie strikes me as the type who'd take names and file them away for future evening up. Kyle will be spending a lot of time looking over his shoulder in future games against us.

speaking of taking numbers, I swear yesterday George got taken down in a tackle and looked at the blokes number as he was running away. Looked exactly like he thought, “Righto, you’ll get yours mate”.

Incredibly, I set out with that post to highlight Phillips and omitted him.

Phillips along with Wardlaw are THE two reasons we are turning.
Phillips is just so damn clean and he's now starting to get confidence to just get in and rip the ball out at the coal face.
He's absolutely projecting to be a Tom Mitchell type for us.
Tom Mitchell or Sam Mitchell? ;)

Brad is copping a lot of stick, but I'm not sure all of it is warranted to be honest. He did get us to two prelims, the man can coach. He was also a committed and passionate North person in all of his time with us. I thought the crack about the timeslot was actually quite funny, if anything it's a reference about the poor fixturing we have historically copped.
Also a smart coach will always go into a post match presser with pre-prepared material. If you don't take hold of the narrative straight away it can very quickly become a sh*tshow. The media are looking for a story, only give them what you want to give them.
I think the pile-on is BF mob mentality at its finest. Brad was similar with us, vis-à-vis the Lions early on. I distinctly remember how he bristled when a journalist asked about how it felt coaching for the first time against the Lions. His response was a strong 'Are you serious? I'm the North Melbourne coach' or words to that effect. What you would expect and hope he'd say as your new coach? Why would it be different with Essendon? He's just being loyal to his club. Would I liked him to say something like 'I still have a soft spot for NM' or similar? Yes, but I'm not going to hang him over comments designed to play into the fanbase of his club... that would be disingenuous.

Regarding the PP decision, I'm inclined to think that Brad's role and decision-making was what he thought was the best for his employer (the AFL) and the competition as a whole, and that was his loyalty at the time. It's clear that the surrounding narrative and sentiment around PPs was to wind back previous excesses. I felt the principles involved in the decision were sound (to be used for mature pick ups). This year, I think we're more 'deserving' of PPs, similar to the Suns, but then again, if it doesn't happen we know they're a special case more so than us being hard done by.

Fancy Brad Scott twice repeating in his presser that they were significantly younger than us.
Trying to find the right word here but nothing better than prick comes to mind

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did he mention that we lost our captain and Greenwood by half time???

He’s a master of spin and the reality is Essendon went down the path of GWS hacks whilst we went to the draft. We will go past them that quickly it won’t be funny.

This is s**t, I hate that we’ve become a petty party, I can’t wait till banter exists again and close ones actually mean something.

Next year can’t come soon enough.
Actually said you guys should have won my comments were genuine.

I watched your last 2 games and you guys impressed me I knew that this wouldn't be an easy game.

Spicer had 50% more tackles than any other player on the ground - on both teams. That will stand him in good stead with the selection panel - even if it gets completely ignored on here. The fact that he seems to run away from play any time he has a chance to score a goal - not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Are they really tackles? They are more nuisance value to the opposition than genuine tackles that halt play or get rewarded with a free kick.

It’s like Champion Data are recording soft cuddles as a tackle these days.

Of course he did. And even if his Maths was correct...so what? Do you get a bonus point if you have the slightly younger team and win anyway? Is he saying that the Bombers, by virtue of winning by a goal and achieving the stunning feat of being 6th halfway through a footy season and winning three straight against three bottom-four teams (two of which were by a point and a goal), have better young players? Or that North's just aren't any good? Or is it an excuse for struggling to beat a team all of the decent teams have made short work of this year? How many of the 14 coaches this weekend had taken the time to work that out (incorrectly)? Or even cared for one moment?

Only saw the video of his comments last night and instantly that defensive bristling body language we became so used to was obvious

Glad he’s someone else’s problem tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back