Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Havent read back through thread but I'm taking a win as a win, no caveats or ****s given.

We have struggled to win a coin toss for the last 5 years. Not sure we'd have even won a preseason quarter against an opposition team fielding AFL player's mum's and dad's in that time.

So you betcha I'm running with the morale shot in the arm from any victory.
Hilarious but sadly true !

As much as I love the positive chatter in the media about Sheezel, McKercher, Wardlaw and LDU, I think they’re all sleeping on Powell and Phillips.

You forgot Lazarro - he’s the one that all the good judges 🥸 are roaring. Well ahead of Phillips they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillips is arguably fourth in line for his preferred position and doesn’t have the flexibility to play other parts of the ground, as can be seen by the selected team for intra-clubs and match simulation.

LDU, Wardlaw and Powell all ahead.

Lazzaro plays a different role which compliments the above. The question mark being has he been able to cure his prolific fumbling against quality opposition.

Phillips will spend a fair amount of time as sub or the VFL.

Phillips is arguably fourth in line for his preferred position and doesn’t have the flexibility to play other parts of the ground, as can be seen by the selected team for intra-clubs and match simulation.

Lazzaro plays a different role which compliments the above. The question mark being has he been able to cure his prolific fumbling against quality opposition.

The only two mids to have more than one CB clearance were LDU and Phillips in this game, at least according to some stats someone posted in another thread. Taking that into account I think he'll get more of a run than just sub or VFL. I imagine as the season goes on Wardlaw will win more centre clearances but that's just an opinion at this stage.

The only two mids to have more than one CB clearance were LDU and Phillips in this game, at least according to some stats someone posted in another thread. Taking that into account I think he'll get more of a run than just sub or VFL. I imagine as the season goes on Wardlaw will win more centre clearances but that's just an opinion at this stage.
Wardlaw was swapped out for Phillips for the second half, when Collingwoods better players were rested.

To me that signifies that Wardlaw is preferred.

More will be answered against St Kilda this week.

Phillips is our second best clearance mid. Wardlaw will probably go past him at some point, but he hasn’t yet.

Lazzaro would be about 8th choice for the centre square. Yes, he’s a different player to Phillips, but Sheez, Kerch, and Jy all play the inside/ outside role far better than Charlie.

Injuries permitting, Will is going to play more games and midfield minutes than Charlie

Precisely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips is our second best clearance mid. Wardlaw will probably go past him at some point, but he hasn’t yet.

Lazzaro would be about 8th choice for the centre square. Yes, he’s a different player to Phillips, but Sheez, Kerch, and Jy all play the inside/ outside role far better than Charlie.

Injuries permitting, Will is going to play more games and midfield minutes than Charlie

LDU and Wardlaw >>>>>>>> Phillips. Powell is significantly more dynamic also.

You don’t have three inside mids all at the same time in the middle. That’s insanity.

Last edited:
Wardlaw was swapped out for Phillips for the second half, when Collingwoods better players were rested.

Yep, Wardlaw is clearly preferred. He’s no doubt ranked 2nd behind LDU. But Phillips had multiple more clearances in a half than Powell, Lazzaro and any of the others that played a full game other that LDU (who even then only had 1 more than Will in twice the game time).
We all agree that they all bring something different, but Will is perhaps the only one that can go contest to contest and balance his offence with defence.

Wardlaw looks like a better player but he's not gonna be able to play 25+ CBAs per game for a while.

LDU and Wardlaw >>>>>>>> Phillips.

You don’t have three inside mids all at the same time in the middle. That’s insanity.

Agreed, but you also need more than one set of mids.
Powell is not as capable as Phillips defensively, and as Ferbs says Wardlaw isn’t going to play 120 minutes in the centre square

It’s a bit more complex than Tennis Andy

Agreed, but you also need more than one set of mids. It’s a bit more complex than Tennis Andy

Thomas being a complete bell end has saved him from spending significant time in the vfl side.

We’ve have LDU, Wardlaw, Powell and Lazzaro (going by his preseason so far) ahead.

Then there’s complimentary, far fitter players such as Sheezel and McKercher who will undoubtedly run through there.

Then wildcards like Zurhaar who will rotate through also. Then there’s Simpkin.

It’ll be slim pickings for him as I see it.

McKercher is the biggest threat to Phillips imo despite not being exactly same types.

Phillips' best U18 output was a pumping pistons mid, contest to contest winning and distributing. He doesn't have the speed to receive and breakaway or the size to go in like Cunnington or LDU and just tear it when faced with other big bodies.

McKercher strikes me as having similar U18s heat maps but motors between contests at pace. Will has strengths but there's a lot of guys on the list with overlapping attributes but extra points of difference.

Sheezel - class, McKercher - pace, Wardlaw - power etc.

McKercher is the biggest threat to Phillips imo despite not being exactly same types.

Phillips' best U18 output was a pumping pistons mid, contest to contest winning and distributing. He doesn't have the speed to receive and breakaway or the size to go in like Cunnington or LDU and just tear it when faced with other big bodies.

McKercher strikes me as having similar U18s heat maps but motors between contests at pace. Will has strengths but there's a lot of guys on the list with overlapping attributes but extra points of difference.

Sheezel - class, McKercher - pace, Wardlaw - power etc.
Precisely.

He’s been leapfrogged in the pecking order.

He needs to be the fittest of them all because the others have more dangerous attributes.

Precisely.

He’s been leapfrogged in the pecking order.

He needs to be the fittest of them all because the others have more dangerous attributes.
As you said Tarryn helps him because there's a knock on effect of a potentially elite mid-fwd taken out of the mix.

****ing Tarryn denying us a 189cm game breaker for the next 10 years.

As you said Tarryn helps him because there's a knock on effect of a potentially elite mid-fwd taken out of the mix.

****ing Tarryn denying us a 189cm game breaker for the next 10 years.
Yep.

Cupid stunt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back