Autopsy goal loss vs *Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Fancy Brad Scott twice repeating in his presser that they were significantly younger than us.
Trying to find the right word here but nothing better than prick comes to mind

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing has changed

We just never saw it when he was our Coach because we were biased; the best we came up with was Snake Oil, but his ability to bristle ugly showed

He’s bro is no better; except he has a Flag now to justify his grating Pressers

He’s on the tough gig out there and it’s high stakes; more to come I would expect

Last edited:
I understand that Spicer is an easy target, I myself have thought he isn’t ready for AFL level.

However, he had some very good moments in the second half.

View attachment 1704947

Ratten will be absolutely wrapped with these numbers.
From game 1 to now has been an exponential. I think there is still more there. Persist. Not 100% convinced he’ll make it but with the rest of the team, im seeing improvement week on week.

It’s typical Brad Scott snake oil to deflect from the fact that his young talent isn’t that particularly good.

Any idiot could see that our performance was built on the back of young players and not the older group, who if anything probably costs us the game.

Our age profile is skewed from having Goldstein, Ziebell, Hall and Greenwood.

The below are lists of both teams 25 and unders that played yesterday.

Essendon 25 and under - 15 players (821 games / 55 game average)
Nic Martin - 33 games
Jye Caldwell - 46 games
Archie Perkins - 51 games
Jordan Ridley - 79 games
Ben Hobbs - 24 games
Matt Guelfi - 86 games
Mason Redman - 92 games
Andrew McGrath - 123 games
Sam Draper - 55 games
Jye Menzie - 13 games
Sam Durham - 38 games
Will Snelling - 56 games
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 40 games
Massimo D’Ambrossio - 15 games
Sam Weideman - 69 games

North 25 and under - 16 players (798 games / average 50 games)
Will Philips - 24 games
Tarryn Thomas - 58 games
Bailey Scott - 67 games
Ben McKay - 60 games
Cameron Zurhaar - 94 games
Nick Larkey - 83 games
Miller Bergman - 10 games
Callum Coleman-Jones - 23 games
Harry Sheezel - 12 games
George Wardlaw - 3 games
Phoenix Spicer - 10 games
Jaidyn Stephenson - 101 games
Griffin Logue - 75 games
Eddie Ford - 11 games
Tom Powell - 41 games
Jy Simpkin 126 games

Not sure if it is just me, but not sure that screams significantly younger Team Brad?

I think if you did the average age of the 2 sets North would also be younger.

But good old Snake Oil needs to spin something.

The ironic thing is we would have a more balanced list profile if the *stick who made the comment actually developed any talent in that 26-30 year old range while he was at the club. Instead we are forced to play older players on the decline, which throws out our age profile.

He came prepared with that statement. Did his math prior to the game, and I’m sure he was looking forward to using it after a big win. He added that they had 17 players out there who played under 100 games (or something like that). When he nearly lost the game however, his “math” nearly looked laughable.

Happy that marriage is over

From game 1 to now has been an exponential. I think there is still more there. Persist. Not 100% convinced he’ll make it but with the rest of the team, im seeing improvement week on week.

I don’t. We have become accustomed to some very low standards.

He came prepared with that statement. Did his math prior to the game, and I’m sure he was looking forward to using it after a big win. He added that they had 17 players out there who played under 100 games (or something like that). When he nearly lost the game however, his “math” nearly looked laughable.

Of course he did. Average age is a dumb stat that no-one with any intelligence thinks about.

How about the maths of being all but overrun by 21 players against your 22 in the second half? Or the change in age profile with our two concussed players out of the game? Our midfield was then led by Phillips with a three gamer as his regular partner and an assortment of other relatively inexperienced players, of course with Shiels doing a magnificent job of reducing Merrett’s influence.

Anyway. They’ll find out.

I don’t. We have become accustomed to some very low standards.

You don’t see improvement? Time to go to spec savers. Spicer laid the most tackles on the ground with 9. He finds space, he’s quick, he’s improved with clean pick ups. Im not saying he’s a lock for a new contract but he is definitely moving in the right direction

Wow.

There's much wrong with this. First and foremost is that Brad himself gutted the list in 2016 as an "aggressive reset" that had the subtle recruiting strategy of chucking wads of money at whoever might be half interested. When that failed Plan-B was just going to the draft with whatever picks we 'earned' (aka - do nothing). And when that didn't get instant results it was back to Plan-A but lowering the eyes to clog the list with Polec, Hall, Tyson and Pittard. And when that failed Brad went to the board with Plan-C - we need to rebuild. How Brad doesn't see his own culpability in our mess is staggering. And what's the point of the comparison anyway - that the young, baby Bombers held firm for a brave and unlikely victory against the old, grizzled warriors of the NMFC behemoth? Spare me.

Also - he's wrong. The average NMFC player today was born on March 6, 1998. The average * player today was born nearly two month earlier on January 10, 1998. The median NMFC player (Larkey) was born on June 6, 1998. The median * player (Redman) is 9-months older being born on August 26, 1997. Games wise - on average he's right. NMFC 96 v * 87. And on median NMFC 83 v * 72. But dig a little deeper. The 5 least experienced players on the ground played for NMFC (Sheezel, Ford, Spicer, Bergman & Wardlaw). Take out the three most experienced players from each team (Goldstein, Ziebell, Shiels vs Heppell, Shiel, Merrett) and the average is the same. North had 12 players in the 50-200 games sweet spot. * had 14.

But no matter how you spin it - North were easily the younger side out there today. Brad, not for the first time in a presser, is full of s**t.
They don't call him BS for nothing.

I can 't believe we've had about half a dozen pages of what Bard Scotts said. Had no interest in anything he said when he was our coach, why would anyone start now.

It was a great game when we were a rotation down for more than half the game. In this case, two essential mids. Two 1st year kids and a young bloke in Philips who is basically a 1st year too almost rode us home.

That's the story of the game, not digging out stats on why one team is statistically older than the other.

Of course he did. And even if his Maths was correct...so what? Do you get a bonus point if you have the slightly younger team and win anyway? Is he saying that the Bombers, by virtue of winning by a goal and achieving the stunning feat of being 6th halfway through a footy season and winning three straight against three bottom-four teams (two of which were by a point and a goal), have better young players? Or that North's just aren't any good? Or is it an excuse for struggling to beat a team all of the decent teams have made short work of this year? How many of the 14 coaches this weekend had taken the time to work that out (incorrectly)? Or even cared for one moment?

You don’t see improvement? Time to go to spec savers. Spicer laid the most tackles on the ground with 9. He finds space, he’s quick, he’s improved with clean pick ups. Im not saying he’s a lock for a new contract but he is definitely moving in the right direction

His tackles are nearly useless and him being in space is no more beneficial to the side than me being in space on level 3 at Marvel

He could literally find himself alone in the goal square and pass it back to someone on the boundary 30m out. That pass would be 50% chance of missing the target

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His tackles are nearly useless and him being in space is no more beneficial to the side than me being in space on level 3 at Marvel

He could literally find himself alone in the goal square and pass it back to someone on the boundary 30m out. That pass would be 50% chance of missing the target

You do know that Champion Data only count a tackle when it stops an opponent from getting an effective disposal, yes?

Bailey impressing of late. Showed confidence and poise yesterday in a few plays. Getting a heap of it and growing in confidence. Hitting the scoreboard too.

Had him written off a month ago. Keep proving me wrong young Bailey.

CJ is the other Im praying continues on this trajectory. We need that focal big man marking around the ground especially when we get in that bloody kick in rut. He goes forward and kicks goals.

Add a manic Comben and one if our biggest issues is fixed imo.

Fair take from King, once again I think likely that he is laying some groundwork for the club - either with their approval or to help create a path.

Bailey impressing of late. Showed confidence and poise yesterday in a few plays. Getting a heap of it and growing in confidence. Hitting the scoreboard too.

Had him written off a month ago. Keep proving me wrong young Bailey.

CJ is the other Im praying continues on this trajectory. We need that focal big man marking around the ground especially when we get in that bloody kick in rut. He goes forward and kicks goals.

Add a manic Comben and one if our biggest issues is fixed imo.

Bailey has just exploded, his confidence is through the roof and he now sees himself as one of the players to lift the team which is really positive.
CCJ is right on that line, now contributing regularly, could really just take off if he keeps getting to the right spots. Interesting half a season here and a few big changes to come still.

So we can add Kingy to the list of people.who saw Hall shank a couple of kicks early on and ignored the rest of his game then
I was there, haven’t seen the replay, but I don’t think Hall was terrrible. Or that Jack was terrible. I assume the point Kingy is making is that if your senior players aren’t the ones leading the way, and they are making costly errors at the same or higher rates than less experienced players, you might as well give the kids the keys.

It‘s an attractive idea, but until yesterday Goldy has been great, Jack‘s had a strong season, Greenwood has been fantastic, Shiels again played an important role yesterday. At the same time, our long injury list includes several younger players who would be in the senior team already if fit. I’d keep the older guys in until younger players are fit and ready and push them out.

Of course he did. And even if his Maths was correct...so what? Do you get a bonus point if you have the slightly younger team and win anyway? Is he saying that the Bombers, by virtue of winning by a goal and achieving the stunning feat of being 6th halfway through a footy season and winning three straight against three bottom-four teams (two of which were by a point and a goal), have better young players? Or that North's just aren't any good? Or is it an excuse for struggling to beat a team all of the decent teams have made short work of this year? How many of the 14 coaches this weekend had taken the time to work that out (incorrectly)? Or even cared for one moment?
Pretty clear it was pre-meditated.

New universe coaching one of the Big 4. They come harder when you stagger. Real hard.

He's stockpiling excuses. It's self preservation 101.

From FoxSports

NORTH MELBOURNE

The Roos fought hard for three quarters - but couldn’t get that final goal to secure a third win for the year. It was a disappointing result for a North side that really took it up to Essendon, and then refused to lie down. They were challenged time and time again, and in promising signs for caretaker coach Brett Ratten, they continued to respond instead of sinking into their shell. Their youngsters stepped up and found targets with the ball - with the Roos going at almost 77% efficiency by foot. An 18-10 centre clearance count is promising signs for a North midfield that continues to grow.

In the votes

George Wardlaw may not have had a huge day statistically speaking, but the rookie took the game on and was in the thick of the action with the match on the line. He ended up with 17 disposals, seven clearances and six tackles in an outstanding display. Cam Zurhaar kicked four goals to keep his side in it. Ben McKay has found form - remarkably on the same weekend as twin Harry overcame his goal yips, and finished with a game-high 14 intercepts, 10 marks - three of those contested and 18 disposals.

Room for improvement

The opening quarter really put the Roos on the back foot. The mids allowed Essendon to exit cleanly from stoppage in worrying signs. While they were able to turn it around, it set the side back and eventually they couldn’t recover. Nick Larkey was important, but his brain snap 70m off the ball - which coughed up a goal - was not good enough. Jack Ziebell had a nightmare final quarter, including one kick where he put it out on the full, allowing the Bombers to get the footy back and kick a goal.

Grade

B

Ziebell, Hall and Spicer sucked ass today

Powell needs to go back to VFL

Spicer had 50% more tackles than any other player on the ground - on both teams. That will stand him in good stead with the selection panel - even if it gets completely ignored on here. The fact that he seems to run away from play any time he has a chance to score a goal - not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair, my mates at the game said the same thing about Spicers tackles as the pattern was very noticeable.

It’s ok bc it still applies pressure and he’s new, but would be better if he learned that drag down method other small forwards do or locked the arm a bit better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back