Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well things have certainly progressed.

• Northball is 🔥.
  • The addition of 3-4 left footers was clearly noticeable. Allows us to change angles much far more effectively.
  • It is so pleasing to see us embracing the run and chaos that the modern game has become. Transition is king and it’s clear how much work on our transition game we have implemented over the off season.
  • The Sheezel/Mckercher 1-2 is a thing of beauty. When Sonic puts his head down and accelerates it’s as exciting as when Sheez slows down time with ball in hand. These two will be the foundation of Northball.
  • TP was excellent, the classy stuff that we are used to but his running and speed on the ball was fantastic (something he couldn’t really produce last year). Definitely looks to have moved past his body issues.
  • Wardlaw, Souv and LDU are both freaks. Don’t really need to say much more than that.
  • I was told by someone at the club a couple months ago that Disco Stephens would be one of the recruits of last years trade period, think we are seeing why.
  • Xerri is going to prove a lot of people wrong me thinks.
  • Stephenson, Bull and Curtis all look to have had really big preseasons and will only benefit from the ball movement. Special shout-out to Jaidyn who cops a hard wrap but has clearly worked his a*se off this preseason.
  • I was sceptical on whether Laz could continue his form but he has and is now a lock in my 22.
  • Understand why there has been such high confidence in K.Dawson this preseason. He’s a lock and the final spot in our back 6 is between Pink Biggy and Chom to fight for.

A lot to work with. We will get burnt on turn over from time to time, but we will absolutely put some sides to the sword when we get on a run this year.

Very exciting.

For the first time in ages it was really clear that the team were playing to a plan. They held their structure (mostly) and the running players moved to create a flow out of defence. At times, especially early this appeared to catch the forwards unaware but when they woke up it created panic amongst the Collingwood defence (admittedly missing some of their best).

Forwards were pretty good with their shots too - a couple went begging but the ones that should have scored at least did.

The best part for me however, was the abandonment of the default kick up the line to a pack on the wing. The players didn't seem to try the robotic 45 degree through the centre that Nobles tried to introduce - instead the responsibility seemed to be on the upfield players to create options and for backup to be on hand in case it was needed, which also created overlap opportunity that we have sorely missed in recent years.

Of course, having LDU, Sheez, Warpig, Colby, Laz, Jy, Hardi, the Steevos, Will, Powell and even Biggie and RHJr all creating movement and space makes a difference.

Even last year a lot of players would crowd in and often the best outcome was a ball up. There was less of that today.

Sure, it's one game. There will be ups and downs as the year plays out but at least to my eyes, the team looks like they are preparing to play to win games rather than to minimise massive losses. I think that is progress.

Exactly right! I can’t even recall when was the last time I watched a preseason or an early season game and thought that I could see what they were working on in summer. Instead of just rocking up and trying to adapt to what everyone else was doing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching first Q now. We should be 5 goals down. Things clearly must shift. Backline looks woeful at the moment.

As Adcock put it after the game we were playing too quickly for our own good which didn’t give our backline a chance to defend the turnovers. We then corrected it

As Adcock put it after the game we were playing too quickly for our own good which didn’t give our backline a chance to defend the turnovers. We then corrected it

It is a refreshing change to have coaches that value ball retention.

Something that stood out like dog balls from our intraclubs this season was the significant improvement in terms of hitting targets, looking for guys in space, gaining territory whilst retaining possession and once we settled in the practice match we were really strong in terms of control of the ball. It is the first time since Clarko has come over that we had shown any kind of signs of executing something similar to what he had done at Hawthorn previously. It is a different game plan, different players and different rules but we are moving the ball faster, using it better and having more space in the forward line because of it.

We also have enough talent that can kick now, good balance of speed and inside grunt.

Our backline is a complete mess though in terms of this group hasn't played much footy together and it is very inexperienced without Logue or Corr there atm. It will be critically important for us to be able to put a lot of pressure cross half forward and through the middle.

The most fascinating unknown for me is how Luke McDonald fits into this back 6. He doesn’t have the pace or ball use of Mckercher, Sheezel, Fisher, Bergman, Goater.

For me, it’s gotta be a lockdown role. I do not want to see his long hack kicks out of d50. I want him taking the oppo best small/medium forward, allowing the Northball boys to do their thing offensively.

The most fascinating unknown for me is how Luke McDonald fits into this back 6. He doesn’t have the pace or ball use of Mckercher, Sheezel, Fisher, Bergman, Goater.

For me, it’s gotta be a lockdown role. I do not want to see his long hack kicks out of d50. I want him taking the oppo best small/medium forward, allowing the Northball boys to do their thing offensively.
He has courage and good marking ability. He may need to find the courage to dish out a handball rather than the long kick.

Based on only today and the last match last year

Kallan Dawson is a far far superior option to Luke McDonald and should be selected ahead of him
I read that holding my breath as I waited for you to state, Dawson is a far far superior player than Ben Magoo . Which good judges would been in agreeance of course .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he does

Just had a read of the pies thread to see their opinions on how some of their players went etc.

WOOF.

Lot of punching down towards us, lot of "Norf"ing, lot of whingeing to make it sound like they got dudded, all the while saying its a mickey mouse game where they had 900 players out and it doesn't mean anything. One of the biggest sooks even went on to post a "Here's my top 15 players" post that goes on to name 25 players, so you know the level of IQ that is being thrown around.

I'll take the win of this mickey mouse game every day if it means upstanding people like that are made to feel upset.

That being said, quite a few level headed responses that were quite complimentary and insightful.

Just finished watching the replay, after a brutal few days of work.

I needed that.

Super excited. I did watch some funny s**t by our new key backs though - they are really going to have a hard time some days, but equally I saw some really nice stuff.

Everything else from the half back line and up was chefs kiss for the most part. Good job!

I thought it was just poor kicking which exposed us on the rebound in that first quarter. Poor execution or just happy enough to blindly kick it forward. Seems like we have taken big strides in overall fitness and covering the ground but our skills still need work.

Ew we have mods who catch the bus?!

Twinkletoes I thought we had a strict "no poors" policy?

This is an outrage if so.

I hope we have that policy.

We do.

I'm the commoner they let in when the mod bloodlines were getting too inbred.

True story. I haven’t ridden a bus since the teen years when I rode just as many porcelain buses.

Very impressed with the “match simulation” and “game scenario” wins. Nothing beats winning for a young group with so many n00bies.

Well things have certainly progressed.

• Northball is 🔥.
  • The addition of 3-4 left footers was clearly noticeable. Allows us to change angles much far more effectively.
  • It is so pleasing to see us embracing the run and chaos that the modern game has become. Transition is king and it’s clear how much work on our transition game we have implemented over the off season.
  • The Sheezel/Mckercher 1-2 is a thing of beauty. When Sonic puts his head down and accelerates it’s as exciting as when Sheez slows down time with ball in hand. These two will be the foundation of Northball.
  • TP was excellent, the classy stuff that we are used to but his running and speed on the ball was fantastic (something he couldn’t really produce last year). Definitely looks to have moved past his body issues.
  • Wardlaw, Souv and LDU are both freaks. Don’t really need to say much more than that.
  • I was told by someone at the club a couple months ago that Disco Stephens would be one of the recruits of last years trade period, think we are seeing why.
  • Xerri is going to prove a lot of people wrong me thinks.
  • Stephenson, Bull and Curtis all look to have had really big preseasons and will only benefit from the ball movement. Special shout-out to Jaidyn who cops a hard wrap but has clearly worked his a*se off this preseason.
  • I was sceptical on whether Laz could continue his form but he has and is now a lock in my 22.
  • Understand why there has been such high confidence in K.Dawson this preseason. He’s a lock and the final spot in our back 6 is between Pink Biggy and Chom to fight for.

A lot to work with. We will get burnt on turn over from time to time, but we will absolutely put some sides to the sword when we get on a run this year.

Very exciting.
Perfect summary!
I for one have been critical of Lazz but he has improved. I did notice a bad kick here and there and 2 hospital handballs, BUT he has gone from a good VFL player to being a link up player in the middle at AFL level. He will need to produce each week to stay in the team considering how many quality mids we have. Powell was another that looked great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back