Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is ******* hilarious. It's like everyone is so cautious to NOT be optimistic this season because of the pain of last year.

And holy s**t couldhavebeen makes an appearance, I haven't seen you in ages mate. Still haven't found that enter button I see, but appreciate the efforts :).

I'm looking forward to seeing an actual best 18 trot out against the eagles in a couple of weeks, this counter reaction into despair, despite the absolutely s**t training conditions, is hard to keep reading.

Everyone is like, yeah it's tough out there and it's great that we're not seeing B22 vs. the rest this pre-season, but everything ******* sucks and we're going suck again.

Sigh. I'm hoping a lot of you get that euphoria you're craving when we exceed your basement level expectations.

This thread is ******* hilarious. It's like everyone is so cautious to NOT be optimistic this season because of the pain of last year.

And holy s**t couldhavebeen makes an appearance, I haven't seen you in ages mate. Still haven't found that enter button I see, but appreciate the efforts :).

I'm looking forward to seeing an actual best 18 trot out against the eagles in a couple of weeks, this counter reaction into despair, despite the absolutely s**t training conditions, is hard to keep reading.

Everyone is like, yeah it's tough out there and it's great that we're not seeing B22 vs. the rest this pre-season, but everything ******* sucks and we're going suck again.

Sigh. I'm hoping a lot of you get that euphoria you're craving when we exceed your basement level expectations.
I honestly think its better this way.

We can all be optimistic when we've finished top 6 4 years in a row.

The issue I have watching a very small 20
minute sample of match sim. Intensity appeared relatively low (conditions?). We saw lots of overlap run from Collingwood and quick transition to the far side of the ground. When we tried it, we stuffed it up, or got hemmed into the wing. The system appeared broken. Either our defensive web is so sophisticated we will be a defensive juggernaut this season. Or our players don’t know how to advance the ball in a system. The latter greatly concerns me.

The stand rule other teams take advantage of, we don’t seem to be capable of.

The issue I have watching a very small 20
minute sample of match sim. Intensity appeared relatively low (conditions?). We saw lots of overlap run from Collingwood and quick transition to the far side of the ground. When we tried it, we stuffed it up, or got hemmed into the wing. The system appeared broken. Either our defensive web is so sophisticated we will be a defensive juggernaut this season. Or our players don’t know how to advance the ball in a system. The latter greatly concerns me.

The stand rule other teams take advantage of, we don’t seem to be capable of.
The key point though as a couple of people have said is that the mini sim was specifically rebounding with a set defence. It wasnt really a match sim. Even Collingwood go slower in those instances, teams are too good at setting up to avoid it.

The key for me on ball movement is
1) run on turnover no matter what and get it into the forwardline
2) bite off the kick into the middle AND don’t stop when we get there or kick it back out to the wing when we do

The key point though as a couple of people have said is that the mini sim was specifically rebounding with a set defence. It wasnt really a match sim. Even Collingwood go slower in those instances, teams are too good at setting up to avoid it.

2) bite off the kick into the middle AND don’t stop when we get there or kick it back out to the wing when we do

Agree with you mostly, the counter argument, why practice having the ball from a mark with the opposition set up?

When in a match will that occur? Throw in - yes. Centre bounce - no. Turnover - no. Kick in - no (this is a different set play). Ball up - yes. But they weren’t doing ball ups, they were giving it to someone and starting from a mark.

So it’s practicing something that won’t happen, unless they want the players to go slow after a turnover mark. Which is the opposite of what fans want and other coaches are doing.

It's not better this way at all - life is generally better if you're happier and optimistic. I just ignore the walls of texts of negative stuff - I couldn't imagine living life that unhappy and negative

We won 10 games last year with the second youngest team in the league. We will be ok

Yeah, not to dismiss the honest reports of our training watchers that are INFINITELY appreciated, but I'm still feeling pretty good about the year ahead.

The boys are HUNGRY. They learned plenty from last year. Expecting a big improvement from the midfield. Nev will kick 55 goals. Moose elite form. Cooper will play 18 games. Fyfe will play midfield and kick more goals floating forward than he would playing as an actual forward. Freddy to explode. Sublime.

It's not better this way at all - life is generally better if you're happier and optimistic. I just ignore the walls of texts of negative stuff - I couldn't imagine living life that unhappy and negative

We won 10 games last year with the second youngest team in the league. We will be ok
In general life I agree but not for sport.

Fan enjoyment is heavily linked to expectations. Check out the vitriol from any supporter base when the performance is below the expectation.

Fan enjoyment is heavily linked to expectations. Check out the vitriol from any supporter base when the performance is below the expectation.
it’s why the funnest seasons are the ones when your side is good and you didn’t expect

What that match sim video also tells me is we’re not focusing on attacking flair or creating new avenues to goal. Just same old same old, which can be easily defended. I’m hopeful we are banking on more goals from our mids because I’m not sure where they’re all coming from otherwise.

Hmmm. I've been banging on about Flagmantle 2025 for a fair while now. I'm a big picture kind of guy. I've never seen a Fremantle team in history more stacked with talent across the lines. Yes, there's no Pav, Mundy and McPharlin, but Amiss, MJ, and Cox are going to give it a fair crack. When we use our first rounders to get Kosi Pickett as he realises Melbourne is cooked culturally and performance wise, our small star forward need has been met and there are no other holes in the team except experience. But by end of 2025 they will all have about 50 games more. And if JLo can't extract the best from all that talent, someone else will and very quickly (but I feel like we are Richmond in February 2017). Sit back and enjoy peoples...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. It's not the under 12s where we all need to encourage little James and Jane. It's peak of the profession stuff.
I've said it many times, read the novel Fever Pitch to explain the tortured life of a true football fan. Being a shiny happy person isn't always compatible with being a team tragic

Hmmm. I've been banging on about Flagmantle 2025 for a fair while now. I'm a big picture kind of guy. I've never seen a Fremantle team in history more stacked with talent across the lines. Yes, there's no Pav, Mundy and McPharlin, but Amiss, MJ, and Cox are going to give it a fair crack. When we use our first rounders to get Kosi Pickett as he realises Melbourne is cooked culturally and performance wise, our small star forward need has been met and there are no other holes in the team except experience. But by end of 2025 they will all have about 50 games more. And if JLo can't extract the best from all that talent, someone else will and very quickly (but I feel like we are Richmond in February 2017). Sit back and enjoy peoples...
I share your optimism for 2025 but 2024 might be a little early. I think it could happen this year but next is more likely.

For us to be legit this year requires quite a few players coming on earlier than average.

Absolutely. It's not the under 12s where we all need to encourage little James and Jane. It's peak of the profession stuff.
I've said it many times, read the novel Fever Pitch to explain the tortured life of a true football fan. Being a shiny happy person isn't always compatible with being a team tragic

My view of it is that if the teams s**t, I'm gonna feel like s**t regardless. But there's no point in feeling like s**t before the seasons even started

My view of it is that if the teams s**t, I'm gonna feel like s**t regardless. But there's no point in feeling like s**t before the seasons even started

I actually agree with this. I tried to disengage for the last few Ross years but would always end up getting sucked back in on game day where I would still be grumpy when we lost.

Don’t see much point reading into one training session where we don’t even know what they were trialling.

I think we're hearing the next coach of FFC.

Really? A life without hope is hard to live. 10 Wins last year is still something to build on and so far we haven't seen a best 22 lineup I as far as I am aware. Judgments on match sim form are potentially a bit hasty if that is the case I think.

Really? A life without hope is hard to live. 10 Wins last year is still something to build on and so far we haven't seen a best 22 lineup I as far as I am aware. Judgments on match sim form are potentially a bit hasty if that is the case I think.
It's not a life, its a football season. And really, it's only pre-season where you have to temper it.

And it's not like you can't have hope for the future, but if you're team is mediocre, you don't gain much going in thinking you're are a top 4 team.

I think what you really want is to be objective, but I reckon, at best, 5/100 football fans are objective about their team. The majority vastly overrate their team which is how you get some North and even West Coast fans thinking they're an outside chance of playing finals this year.

So I'm extremely optimistic for the medium term but I am also realistic in that I don't expect the 2nd/3rd youngest list to play finals. Doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't aim for it, but I don't expect it.

Last edited:
If I can get down there tomorrow, I'll capture the sim and upload to YT again. I'm already putting in leave for Friday to do the same. This time I'll use my work Note 9 to record with. :p
We Are Not Worthy Season 5 GIF by The Masked Singer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back