Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps , mckay , McGovern were good for us … tdk in the last was decent after copping a bath …
The thing I don’t get is , we have had multiple summers to learn a better way to create forward entries yet we are doing the same stuff for the last 5 years …. Bombing it
Good time to have the bye … we need weiters and Marchbank back and a decent half forward …heart stopper every week now … fun times
They’re more content with numbers forward to hold the ball in - we look much more dynamic up forward when our half forwards push up the ground. Hard to do the later against good oppo’s

That was pretty ugly.

What can we fix up though?

Kicking to our forwards has been a problem for a long time and still is.

Who went onto Hopper at half time? He had 20 at half time and only 4 in the second. Was that Carroll?

Clearances / contested posessions was a problem. Cerra and Hewett were well down.

I don't want to individualise it but Ollie needs a rest. Binns deserves his chance and Ollie has been well beaten again tonight. Maybe Walsh takes his spot anyway.

Adding Motlop up forward might help.

North next after a rest. Good chance to find another gear. Maybe we'll win by 2 goals!
Ollie needs a rest fmd we’ve played 2 games and he needs a rest?

While it is technically the correct decision, my question would be if that was the decision, it should’ve been paid before the goal review. The goal review is not for reviewing on field decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if the ball hit Charlie’s boot it was not a free kick. It was a goal.

I think it was perfectly umpired. Efficient and got the right outcome. They deserve some praise for it.

The second the game ended I rewound to Boyd's miss to check the before and after scores - the AFL definitely owes us a point
OK so like others here have said, with the earlier Charlie play on/tackle shenanigans on the goal line the umpire clearly said that if the bunker didn't overturn the goal umpire's call that it would be a free kick against Charlie. When the bunker referred to the umpire's call we had the point erroneously added, so although the scoreboard didn't change when Boyd kicked his behind, it should have already shown us with one less point than it did

Remember when we used to start the season 0-2 every year?

We're 2-0 (incl playing Bris at the Gabba). Let's just appreciate that for a moment.
Oh yeah... And without two of our best five players...

We won. Yay.

It was not fun. Boo.

What I do like is how much more we look to use the corridor. We just don’t do it very well, but it’s a clear change and one I’d much rather than just bombing it down the wing (which we do but only as a last resort). It was the poorly directed pass and the idiotic brain fades that hurt us. Not kicking it repeatedly to a pack. So, if we get some composure, the bigger wins will come.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stoked with the win… gutsy to get the 4 pts…

But is anyone else’s relationship on thin ice every night Carlton game? Missus just doesn’t understand the frustrations that rolls with each game!!
Have a think about what it's like for her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Kemp was big today and had some great moments, just needs to get those little brain fades out of the way and we have a hell of a player here

I think it's a confidence game with Kempy. I still don't think he fully believes he's a good backman and so some self doubt kicks in on occasion. He'll get there, with consistency he'll fully believe soon enough. I'm sure of it.

If I am concerned, what I am concerned about is Tom De Konning.

Nankervis - to be honest, every single Richmond ruck - treated him with utter contempt tonight. He didn't just assume the space, he stood there and invited Tom to do whatever he wanted. In his position, his ribs were available, his head was available, his knees and groin were available; what does Tom do? Absolutely ******* nothing. He doesn't try and force Nank to do anything different; Nankervis just ******* set up under the ball and ******* grabbed it out of the ruck.

To say that the rule change which removes HTB as an option in that situation is dumb is missing the point. Despite the goal he kicked and his last 10 minutes, Tom got smashed tonight by his refusal to get dirty. He wants the clean tap, the massive leap, the globetrotters play, but there's more to rucking than just tapping the ball.

You need to be willing to hurt your opponent some. At the moment, Tom's a labrador when we need a rottweiler.
I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree there's a gap in TDK's ruck play. I'm prepared to cut him a bit of slack because his game in general has improved a lot since mid last season. But that physicality side of things should definitely be the focus for him at this point.

Back