Game Day Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, to have the luxury. It must be all the sun you get over there. My head and heart have never been reconciled...I blame vitamin D deficiency.
Heart says Saints, head says Pies...and
I just threw up in my mouth a little 🤢
Well in the spirit of honesty I have tipped the pies by 7.
I can’t see them being down 3 weeks in a row, and they should have beaten GWS on expected scores.
However, it wouldn’t surprise me if we ran them off their feet also.
Eyes closed throwing darts type stuff.

It’s all about the Filth and their backs against the wall - so if ever they were going to fire it’s tonight.

We are coming off 1 less days break but we need to start well so that they know they are in a contest and then run and run and run and break them!
No doubt Collingwood's deficiencies in the first 2 rounds have been analysed and illustrated in the media too! Really tough assignment we face, but there is always hope.

If I don't see Owens get a stint on the ball I'm writing a sternly worded email to the Club (ATTN: Entire Coaching Department) and exploring the option of a Go Fund Me in petition of same.

No doubt Collingwood's deficiencies in the first 2 rounds have been analysed and illustrated in the media too! Really tough assignment we face, but there is always hope.

If I don't see Owens get a stint on the ball I'm writing a sternly worded email to the Club (ATTN: Entire Coaching Department) and exploring the option of a Go Fund Me in petition of same.
Not sure Owens will play mid as he will be needed as relief ruckman, who is the other option for that role it's all about team balance.

King should be played up at half forward and keep Pou or Sharman deep, otherwise it's all too predictable for the opposition.
Not too different to how he played on the weekend then. Over half of his touches were outside of the forward 50. He was involved in a lot of scoring chains up the ground.

We'd be robbing ourselves if we didn't let him play deep forward as well though.

I would love nothing more than to beat these blokes tonight - savour the win with a nice cold glass of Collingwood fan tears.

Hell, make a f*cking documentary about the win like the premiers did last year and get the players to do a play-by-play - I'd buy 47 copies.

Oh, did I mention that I hate these blokes? Go Saints x

King should be played up at half forward and keep Pou or Sharman deep, otherwise it's all too predictable for the opposition.

That's pretty much what happened vs Geelong.

He had 17 touches roaming up the ground. Kicked 2 and missed 4 that were tough ones at a distance and on an angle.

Edit: I guess Pou didn't play deep, actually 70% of his touches were in the back half which was disappointing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought of Daicos tearing us apart makes me sick. I’d love Ben Long back for one game to line him up (fairly of course) and make him feel it. Big chance to send the pies fans feral after being 0-3!!!!

Also, while it likely won't get acknowledged at all in the lead up to this game or even much during the contest, I feel like it's important to celebrate Ryan Byrnes' 50th game.

While many here see him as an expendable and limited member of the team, I believe he has worked harder than anyone to get every bit of talent out of himself. He is one of the many that drives professional standards at the club and I hope he takes another step this year. Can't wait to see him gut running across the MCG tonight.

Good on ya, Ronny.

Last edited:
I'm predicting we will start this one with a bang.

Saints by 23. Max King to kick a bag.

Recent history for Saints/Pies says that it’ll be a close game.

2023 Saints 64 lost to Pies 70
2022 Saints 85 lost to Pies 102 (scores level in the 4th qtr)
2021 Saints 70 defeated Pies 61

That’s an avg margin of 10.6 points across the last 3 seasons, and it would make sense on paper for tonight to be another tight game. We’re well into this.

Fun/unsurprising fact, I know this is technically our home game, but we have only played Collingwood at Marvel once in our last 6 meetings. That was in the 2022. The next time after that? 7 years ago in 2018 back when it was called Etihad.

Arguably last weeks game could provide an edge for us this week, we know what it’s like to come up against a competitive older side full of stars, premiership players and matured composure (AKA Geelong), and that’s what got Geelong over the line this week, and it’s what has gotten Collingwood over the line against us the last couple of times we have played them. We should be well braced.

-----

Our last outing against them, gather round 2023, we lost by a goal. N Daicos had 42 disposals, so you'd think Ross & co have a plan for him.

Our best players were:
  • Marshall (25 disp, 7 marks, 7 clearances, 32 hitouts)
  • Crouch (33 disp, 2 goals, 16 cont. possessions) - a great game stats wise, shame he's injured/underdone currently.
  • Battle/Wilkie (both had very similar games for intercepting backmen, with a combined 48 disposals, 24 marks, 1000+ metres gained, 19 intercept possessions)
Our worst player?
  • Gresham (80% time on ground for 7 disp and 36 metres gained at 57% disposal efficiency, lmao)
Higgins, Caminiti and Crouch were our only multiple goal kickers with 2 each.

-----

That 2023 team had Howard, Caminiti, Clark, Butler, Paton, Gresham and Bytel (sub) in the team.

Opposed to our team tonight which replaces those players with Wilson, Henry, Sharman, King, Membrey, Bonner and Jones.

Cordy moved from forward to the backline in the interim.

The way I see it, in comparing to last years side that lost by a goal to the (at the time undefeated and eventual premiers) Collingwood:
  • Membrey replaces Caminiti (upgrade)
  • King replaces Cordy (upgrade)
  • Bonner replaces Paton (upgrade)
  • Henry replaces Gresham (upgrade/neutral)
  • Jones replaces Clark (neutral, speed boost)
  • Cordy replaces Howard (neutral/downgrade)
  • Wilson replaces Butler (neutral/downgrade, lose pressure & experience, gain endurance)
  • Sharman replaces Bytel (n/a different players, and Bytel was the sub)
Seems wild that we played without King, Membrey and Sharman in that 2023 game.

-----

One thing I expect to see tonight? Elite speed and endurance from our boys at the spacious MCG. We are fit and fast, with several players who are well suited to the spread. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Jack Sinclair, Mason Wood, Liam Henry, Darcy Wilson, Ryan Byrnes, Zak Jones, Riley Bonner, Brad Hill. If we are on, then expect to be feasting on that spectacle.

All eyes to the midfield to make it happen. Defence should be as elite as usual, and we have the cattle up forward to compete. Should be an interesting game to say the least. Go Saints!

Last edited:

I like this. Max can kick from 50 easily and Coops can take some very good contested hangers so I think it makes sense.

Also, while it likely won't get acknowledged at all in the lead up to this game or even much during the contest, I feel like it's important to celebrate Ryan Byrnes' 50th game.

While many here see him as an expendable and limited member of the team, I believe he has worked harder than anyone to get every bit of talent out of himself. He is one of the many that drives professional standards at the club and I hope he takes another step this year. Can't wait to see him gut running across the MCG tonight.

Good on ya, Ronny.
Always does the hard stuff does Ronnie. Running back into defence. Cutting angles. Awesome effort for a bloke drafted in the 50s

I would love nothing more than to beat these blokes tonight - savour the win with a nice cold glass of Collingwood fan tears.

Hell, make a f*cking documentary about the win like the premiers did last year and get the players to do a play-by-play - I'd buy 47 copies.

Oh, did I mention that I hate these blokes? Go Saints x
Hear hear Broski.

Don't hold back.......;)

Don't you just love an icy cold glass of Pies tears......with some sausage rolls as a side.

Re your DVD proposal.....I'll shout everyone on here a copy.

Meant to ask....what do you think about the Pies????

:) :)

Ryan Byrnes 50th game >>>>>>>>>>>>> Nick Daicos 50th game

Come At Me Will Ferrell GIF

Off to the G tonight. First time in the Members area for 10 years.

Last time was a f***ing disaster - ultra expensive drinks, ordinary food and Hawthorn winning by 145 points.

You've been warned!!!
Yeah , wasn't that a cracking day , stood near some Hawks supporters , f ucking arrogant c-nts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back