Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanders You still think Olsen is the man?

We seemed to have these cultural issues so deeply ingrained in the Club that no matter how much personnel change we go through, they persist.

It really is unbelievable.

Only other explanation could be that there must be a person in authority who wields undue influence that has been a constant in this. But with almost all of the other personnel changing, surely one person could not be that influential in maintaining this shitty, mediocre culture we have?

I think agreement wasn’t reached until after the game as he was hanging out for 3 years but that loss weakened his bargaining power and with some tough games he’s tried to secure his future.

I doubt he was never getting more than two years as an extension. It's pretty much standard to give a 2 year extension.

I suspect it was most probably agreed to in principle prior to the season and the annoucement of it was intended to be one of those feel good announcements that they normally trot out after a loss.

The club most probably believes that Nicks is loved by the supporters and the annoucement would be a positive one.

We seemed to have these cultural issues so deeply ingrained in the Club that no matter how much personnel change we go through, they persist.

Only other explanation could be that there must be a person in authority who wields undue influence that has been a constant in this. But with almost all of the other personnel changing, surely one person could not be that influential in maintaining this shitty, mediocre culture we have?

I've tuned out from the off-field stuff a fair bit over the last 12 months.

Do we know who would have the main say in this decision?

Chairman?
Footy Director?
Board?
CEO presumably minimal involvement.

There isn't an incompetent puppet master ******* things up. It's a result of there being no consequences for not succeeding. It's a weakness based in complacency that gets baked into any monopoly.

I personally would have liked to see how the season played out around the midway mark this year. Not going to freak out with this news of an early re-signing though.

The one positive I can imagine of an early re-signing, is that if the players truly are buying into the team ethos and Nicks’ gameplan, then this might cause a team lift and better outcomes. Another possible benefit is that this might entice other young players to extend their contracts, if they’re used to Nicks’ coaching style.

Leaving the signing until the end of one match is baffling, I can only think those boofheads in charge of marketing , honestly thought a win was on the cards against GC and the announcement would be a bit of a theatrical moment prior to the Geelong game.

Ire the 2 x Years , I don’t envy Nicks one iota with the list we have , he’s 2 yrs in smack in the middle of no mans land.

The way I see it , we have 2 what I would describe as elite ( not alway’s consistent, though compared to our list - elite) Rankine & Dawson, then we have Tex - confirmed “elite” , yet he’s our Joe Biden - too old , yet miles above any alternative.

From here , I think we have 9 players who have yet to hit their ceiling, (by guernsey number ).

7 - Riley Thilthorpe ( 2 - 3 yrs away )
8 - Josh Rachele ( yeah/nah/yeah/nah- 1 month -2 yrs ) who knows ??
10 -Luke Pedlar - classic old school footballer - 1 - 2yrs
14 -Jake Soligo - Leadership material - ( above a few current ones ) - 6 months - 2 yrs
16- Max Michalanney - from now - 7 yrs - ( Ben’s footy muse has jumped ship)
20- Mitch Hinge - ( 1 x yr - 100% genuine)
24 -Josh Worrell ( heart and soul - future leader ) 2 x yrs
28- Nick Murray ( Never say Die - 1 - 2 yr )

( Harry was my 9th player though i removed him ) :)

From what I can see , everyone else on the current playing list has already reached their ceiling and they will (mostly) only regress in the next 2 years.

( I’ve not seen enough of Nanks/ Keane etc as yet, nor any of our reserves to add to the above , though I look forward to the updates through out the year from other posters).

This leaves us with 10 ( 11 with Tex ) , who will be our backbone.

The only way Nicks will survive this period is to be like young Jack & sell the cows to buy the magic beans ..

As we know that won’t happen - so poor Ol Nicksy is doomed as half the cows are happy getting fat grazing without any repercussions.
I don't think Rankine has hit his ceiling yet.

This thread has been so disappointing. So little emotion and reaction relative to what would have been seen in years

That’s the real killer of this elongated period of nothingness… disinterest

It was inevitable.

The only silver lining for me is that coaches contracts really don't matter.

It doesn't impact the players salary cap and most coaches end up getting fired mid contract. The club was never going to be ruthless and replace Nicks unless the wheels fell off so its all to be expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the players should buy Nicksy a mullet wig that he has to wear after the game until the presser is finished when they win away from home.

Anyone else getting a some scary Neil Craig vibes from the press conference?

Learnings
Process
Small adjustments
Finals is the target

Neither Silver nor Nicks said the “P” word.

I hope it all works out for us, I really do, but I’m not sold yet … that this is our premiership coach.

But what would I know, I wanted Ross the Boss

Last edited:
Anyone else getting a free scary Neil Craig vibes from the press conference?

Learnings
Process
Small adjustments
Finals is the target

I hope it all works out for us, I really do, but I’m not sold yet … that this is our premiership coach.

Yup - we Crows supporters are conditioned to be underwhelmed. Not allowed to have any expectation or belief.

Im sick of learnings, process, tweaks.... I want a ruthless side wanting to play finals and win a flag.

I want some backbone and spine. Im sick of mediocrity.

Cannot understand why were in no hurry ,then after a very average first game loss .
Bingo he is appointed.
Nicks seems to not being able to make tough decisions weekly, with favourites getting games before those with real talent (Murphy ,Smith,McHenry why even still on list0. and of course the Sloane decision has blown up in his face and cause embarrassment to him, club and more so Sloane.
Only might be positive is at season end if we haven't made finals the club might actually spend some money for a quality assistant coach with all money saved on current bargain basement lot.

Anyone else getting a free scary Neil Craig vibes from the press conference?

Learnings
Process
Small adjustments
Finals is the target

I wrote a long piece on what should have been said that included accountability and ruthlessness and 'no gold passes '

But who am I kidding

We Are The Friendly Club

This thread has been so disappointing. So little emotion and reaction relative to what would have been seen in recent years

That’s the real killer of this elongated period of nothingness… disinterest
It mirrors my reaction to games. I used to carry on and yell at the TV. I barely even react anymore.

Anyone else getting a some scary Neil Craig vibes from the press conference?

Learnings
Process
Small adjustments
Finals is the target
Nicks said he believed "strongly" their "game style" would stand up in Finals:
" ... the work we have to do is to get ourselves there".
So far, Nicks' game style has not got them "there". If it's not good/strong enough to get them into finals, it's not good enough to win them, mate.
2024 will tell, I suppose.
Well, the presser was about his re-signing. The goal of a "P" is assumed, I guess.
So do I, but I have the same fear, that Nicks will not be our Flag Coach.
Of the Flag-winning Coaches since 2020, Nicks reminds me most of Adam Simpson --- pleasant bloke, understated, well-spoken, calm --- or maybe Goodwin too. Both outliers.
The rest of them are hard, uncompromising, lose-hating tough nuts like Clarko who influenced Assistants so strongly that they became Premiership Coaches too.
emoji23.png
Back in 2019, or now?
Lyons' mob towelled up the Pies last night, with this goal allowed (look where 2 Umpires are :oops:):

1711060330275.png
It looks like Lyon's changed his game plan somewhat --- live and learn, eh? :sneaky: --- because the Saints were not just a dour, miserly defensive side last night.
Their pressure and attacking rebound last night was impresssive.

Last edited:
I admit my initial reaction to Olsen joining the club was a negative bias because he was an ex-Liberal with ties to the SANFL. I gave him a go though and dialed back my criticism. In retrospect, I think my knee jerk reaction was on point. He's been disappointing.
A chapman clone.

Cannot understand why were in no hurry ,then after a very average first game loss .
Bingo he is appointed.
Nicks seems to not being able to make tough decisions weekly, with favourites getting games before those with real talent (Murphy ,Smith,McHenry why even still on list0. and of course the Sloane decision has blown up in his face and cause embarrassment to him, club and more so Sloane.
Only might be positive is at season end if we haven't made finals the club might actually spend some money for a quality assistant coach with all money saved on current bargain basement lot.
The contract was likely done months ago and and they waited till a bad loss to announce it. They must be delusional if they think that fans would be excited about a coach who continually stuffs up selection and who hasn't made finals in 4 years.

I loathe Ross Lyon but, given the way the Saints played last night, and how he appears to have changed that perennially dysfunctional club in just one season, can step in at West Lakes right now. And I mean RIGHT NOW, in time for tonight's game.

Back