Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Baffles me how this game never seems to draw well. You would think two decent sized Victorian clubs would be able to get something bigger. Good improvement on last years crowd tho.
Hawthorn home game. They're not exactly up and about (and likely won't be for a couple of seasons yet). Throw in going up F1 qualifying (which may have impacted the other day game Marvel).

Can't really recall a time (certainly in my nearly 31 years) that both Melbourne and Hawthorn were up and about at the same time. So I wonder if that may explain it.

Can't really recall a time (certainly in my nearly 31 years) that both Melbourne and Hawthorn were up and about at the same time. So I wonder if that may explain it.
Yeah it's a good theory.

Hawthorn and Melbourne have only featured in the same finals campaign 11 times out of a possible 99 seasons.

1957, 1961, 1963, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 2000, 2018.

About on par with what I expected.

I think it was overstated how poor ticket sales were.
How many single tickets would they even sell to a game like this? There might be a thousand Freo fans, but the rest are going to be almost all North members, AFL members and medallion club I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do the dogs play in Ballarat? Is it a favorable financial deal?
Moreso the Dogs have no control over which round of the season their 2 Ballarat games are played in, so it wasn't a desire of the Dogs to have their first home game of the season in Ballarat (naturally), just the AFL and their fixturing forced it upon us, which perhaps understandable given the limited pool opponents we realistically would play at Ballarat.

Why do the dogs play in Ballarat? Is it a favorable financial deal?

Of course. Members can still travel to it more easily as opposed to say NT or Cairns. They also think they can over time gain some support here by being involved in the area.

Probably similar to Giants in Canberra.

The club used to offer replacement games if they don’t go to Ballarat, which I think was a mistake to remove.

Once seating is gone there will always a variance in amount that are willing to sit on the hill or stand. No offence to Gold Coast but while it is more money than playing them in front of 22k at Marvel, this will have lower interest. I think this will only be 7-8k.

Of course. Members can still travel to it more easily as opposed to say NT or Cairns. They also think they can over time gain some support here by being involved in the area.

Probably similar to Giants in Canberra.

The club used to offer replacement games if they don’t go to Ballarat, which I think was a mistake to remove.

Once seating is gone there will always a variance in amount that are willing to sit on the hill or stand. No offence to Gold Coast but while it is more money than playing them in front of 22k at Marvel, this will have lower interest. I think this will only be 7-8k.
Probably reflective of how shite the deal is playing at Marvel.

Test for the Tiges today.

0-2
5 changes to their best Team
Grand Prix day.
4pm on a Sunday. Wtf is that about.

Sub 30 territory I’m thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Test for the Tiges today.

0-2
5 changes to their best Team
Grand Prix day.
4pm on a Sunday. Wtf is that about.

Sub 30 territory I’m thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Anything below 30k would be disappointing. Yes, lots of reasons why but it still would be disappointing.

The kids go free today and the Tigers are running a promo to bring a friend free. Thats a lot of freebies!

So, it should be 30-35K you’d hope

Last edited:
Moreso the Dogs have no control over which round of the season their 2 Ballarat games are played in, so it wasn't a desire of the Dogs to have their first home game of the season in Ballarat (naturally), just the AFL and their fixturing forced it upon us, which perhaps understandable given the limited pool opponents we realistically would play at Ballarat.
Looks like a beautiful sunny day in Ballarat. This is probably partially why they want a game there while it’s still March before it becomes arctic up there.

Obviously hurts the round average because it would have been a bigger crowd at Marvel, but overall looks like a full crowd and a great atmosphere on TV.

The crowds fine really, probably just hits the park mark and shows that Richmond have grown their supporter base since winning the flag compared to their pre flag numbers.

It's just *ing annoying cos I know if my club along with North, St.kilda and WB got a number like that (or close to) we'd get asbolute roasted by the media and every other fan even though our fan bases are significantly smaller than the big 4 clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back