Player Watch #41: Blake Drury - 17d/2 goals vs Geelong - keeps his spot vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking from 50 on both feet? In a weird way that almost seems a bit old school. The number of players that are horribly one-sided is strange given the full-time professional nature of the league these days.
And the amount of times during a game that this one sidedness leads to a player being unnecessarily tackled or forced into a poor kick or handball is mind boggling and costly.

I just don’t understand why players aren’t forced to become proficient on both sides.

And the amount of times during a game that this one sidedness leads to a player being unnecessarily tackled or forced into a poor kick or handball is mind boggling and costly.

I just don’t understand why players aren’t forced to become proficient on both sides.
I miss Sam Wright

really ? what did he say ?
Nothing too specific, but he talked about how 'Sheezel and Wardlaw' were the copout answer for who he was excited to work with, and the actual answer is Blake Drury (he had a mental blank when the press asked him a few weeks ago, and just spat out the obvious). I think that's interesting, shows Drury has potential at the very least.

Drury was told to improve his conditioning over the break, did all his training with Sheez and did everything he could to match him to improve his running capacity. Like Arch, this has resulted in a “pelvic overload” issue. Like Arch, it isn’t OP, but the club is being cautious with him, expected to be back into full training early in the new year.

Club is super impressed with his commitment to getting the absolute most of our himself. However there is still a bit of uncertainty as to whether back pocket or half forward will be his gig at AFL level.

Staff have bugger all contact with the players in their holidays (for good reason), and some of those players are going to push themselves without having the benefit of our club's experts watching over their shoulder nagging (which I'm sure is what it feels like 95% of the time!) at them to do this test, that stretch, hold off on the next session because you already logged Xhours for the week etc etc

Bit surprised at the repeat victims of overload as they should have learnt lessons from their body the first time around, but I'm glad we have blokes pushing themselves to the edge for the sake of their football.

Staff have bugger all contact with the players in their holidays (for good reason), and some of those players are going to push themselves without having the benefit of our club's experts watching over their shoulder nagging (which I'm sure is what it feels like 95% of the time!) at them to do this test, that stretch, hold off on the next session because you already logged Xhours for the week etc etc

Bit surprised at the repeat victims of overload as they should have learnt lessons from their body the first time around, but I'm glad we have blokes pushing themselves to the edge for the sake of their football.
It‘s a tough balance especially for guys who are know they are pushing to be on the fringe of senior selection, not surprising if they overdo it to impress coming back from the break.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back