Strategy “I’m going home” - Cripps warns Gold Coast not to draft the South Australians

Remove this Banner Ad

It's basically this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

Publicly, or privately, attempting to persuade players to leave their club whilst they are contracted, should be punished.

But the AFL are craven cowards who just want to get $$$, so expect them to do nothing.
It appears to be accepted practice in the AFL, by all clubs.

Although Gil apparently doesn't like it: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/80f2639d5520bcdaa2490369afb559fa

The only anti-tampering rules we seem to have are related to making agreements that affect the integrity of the draft, e.g. if Gold Coast actually agreed not to take the SA kids, or if the SA kids rang around to Carlton/GC/whoever else ends up with picks before Port/Crows and say "don't draft me". Tanking interviews seems to be a grey area, as is asking a kid if they want to play for the club/are willing to live in that part of the country.

Thank you, finally a good answer to my original question. The mummy's boys clearly aren't confined to the AFL, it's a part of national culture. Although I do wonder why the NRL doesn't seem to have it as bad. Probably because the Storm and Cowboys are consistently good.
They also don’t have a draft in NRL so kids do t go where they don’t want to.

Most ideas in this thread are overreactory and don’t actually address the root cause of the problem.

McKenna was taking them on an upward trajectory, their trajectory from 2011 to 2014 mirrors the trajectory of GWS from 2012 to 2015.

GWS finished top 4 in 2016, and Gold Coast would have likely made top 4 in 2015 had they not sacked McKenna.

Players have been leaving the club in droves since McKenna was sacked. While he was coach they had an exciting young team.

Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia and Bennell the next fab 4, with Dixon and Lynch the twin towers up forward...

McKenna was taking them on an upward trajectory, their trajectory from 2011 to 2014 mirrors the trajectory of GWS from 2012 to 2015.

GWS finished top 4 in 2016, and Gold Coast would have likely made top 4 in 2015 had they not sacked McKenna.

Players have been leaving the club in droves since McKenna was sacked. While he was coach they had an exciting young team.

Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia and Bennell the next fab 4, with Dixon and Lynch the twin towers up forward...
Is that the reason Mckenna isn't even coaching in the AFL anymore?

The bloke started the rot by not implementing strict professional standards and let it get out of hand. The talent thrived that year despite the standards not thanks to them. He isn't the only one guilty of that though.

Is that the reason Mckenna isn't even coaching in the AFL anymore?

The bloke started the rot by not implementing strict professional standards and let it get out of hand. The talent thrived that year despite the standards not thanks to them. He isn't the only one guilty of that though.
Perhaps the strict standards that have been implemented since have harmed the group.

Lack of success and available talent in NSW and QLD
Which are not easily fixed. The lack of success (which applies more to the Queensland teams but could suck in the Sydney teams if they slip) is a bit circular.

The academies are an attempt to address the talent issue but the returns have been very modest so far, and probably will take a decade or more to really gain traction in terms of producing enough AFL standard players to make a difference. And even the modest returns that have been achieved have upset many of the other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how to stop the go home factor, but the AFL need to slam Port (and Carlton to a slightly lesser extent) with draft serious tampering fines.
Why to a lesser extent Carlton? It was SOS who put out that he hopes interstate clubs select them not other Victorian clubs so he can get them in 20 months time. All Cripps did was point out that Port really only has to compete with one other side in the go home factor, not 10.

Go home factor is starting to possibly be a positive for non-Victorian clubs. Better change it up to hamper that.

I think the better question is why AFL players are such sooks compared to NFL players moving across the country routinely, or soccer players moving halfway across the world for a club.
It isn't obvious to you?

Australians barely move from home. In the US they all move away from home anyway for college if they're doing that and plenty move from small towns for opportunities. It's ingrained in their culture. Soccer players chase the dollars and playing for big name clubs. Plus these kids are typically living away from home from their early teens or even younger to come through academies. Plenty of kids also coming from rough upbringings who are more than happy to leave behind their homes.

Here the majority of the 18 year old kids entering the draft are coming from decent upbringings, they've had no experience with living away from home on their own and they're not all getting paid well from the outset.

Like it or not the majority of Victorian players would much rather play in footy mad Melbourne.

And I'm not sure the players are sooks. The majority over the last little while have been leaving clubs like GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast. GWS is a good side but there's heaps of competition for spots and they don't play in front of big crowds, so I'm not really surprised some are leaving. Brisbane looks to finally be on an upwards trajectory but for a while there they weren't exactly a great place for a youngster to play at. Gold Coast is just a mess in a location that doesn't care about footy. Gee great surprise players are getting sick of wasting their time up there and leaving.

Last edited:
And I'm not sure the players are sooks. The majority over the last little while have been leaving clubs like GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast. GWS is a good side but there's heaps of competition for spots and they don't play in front of big crowds, so I'm not really surprised some are leaving. Brisbane looks to finally be on an upwards trajectory but for a while there they weren't exactly a great place for a youngster to play at. Gold Coast is just a mess in a location that doesn't care about footy. Gee great surprise players are getting sick of wasting their time up there and leaving.

I repeat, sooks. Possessing no backbone to lift a team and make them great, they run home to hold onto mummy's apron strings at the first opportunity. That's why.

Listening to SOS and Jason Cripps this morning openly talking about luring interstate players back from the Gold Coast in a couple of years... basically threatening the Suns that if they don’t roll over and trade picks they will use a ‘go home’ factor (even though they’re from Vic).
This is in a climate where there are a large number of players using the go home factor to get their club to trade them out.
With Sydney and Brisbane producing very few quality draftees this places them at a distinct disadvantage.
Other states know this and take full advantage of it.
Gold Coast in particular are suffering tremendously due to the ‘go home’ factor. They haven’t had years and years to develop a culture to counteract this challenge.

The AFL has to bring in something for this inequality. I don’t know what measures they could introduce to make it more equal. I guess that’s why I started this thread... what can the AFL do to support the Suns due to the ‘go home’ factor?

The HAS done something. It gave VERY generous entry concessions. That were hugely unequal to the Other clubs.

Then AFL did more gave these club Academies. A long term advantage that could seriously help these clubs. It's UNEQUAL in favor of these clubs.

GCS stuffed it up. It happens. Starting a club form scratch is hard but they make a bunch of pretty bad errors.

Sydney had no problems attracting and retaining places. Why it's a well run club.

In a competitive competition some teams are going to be doing poorly. Clubs will try and attract players from poorly performing clubs. They try and attract players successful clubs too the squeeze of opportunity and salary cap.

Wining and losing are part of competition. Why should some clubs be protected more than others from problems of failure.

When will this endless cry for unfair advantages cease? DO GCS what guaranteed success,when will they accept responsible and actually address their own problems and try to compete rather than blaming everything else for their problems.

How much of an unfair advantage do they want before they think things are fair enough?

Honestly garbage by Cripps. I hope Gold Coast take the SA players so that if it eventuates, GC can play hardball.
What did Cripps say? He said that he fancied getting those players from GC in a couple of years. What is wrong with that?

I repeat, sooks. Possessing no backbone to lift a team and make them great, they run home to hold onto mummy's apron strings at the first opportunity. That's why.
You can repeat as much as you want but the only sook is you.

Get rid of the current free agency.

Create new type of 'nominated free agency'.

Here is how it works:

1. Basically all players start off as 'non free agents.' They are not subject to any sort of free agency. Basically like how it was like before the current free agency.

2. After 4 seasons in the AFL (maybe 6 if too generous), before the trade period starts (to prevent weirdness) a player can nominate themselves a free agent.

3. This change in status is permanant and lasts the rest of their career and cannot be changed back. Once you become a free agent there is no turning back.

4. A player who nominate as a free agent counts as a unrestricted free agent for the purposes for trading (can leave club, no chance to match). But they can also be traded by clubs without the player's permission. They count as a full free agent.

Basically the idea is like the amateur/pro split. A player can play it safe their whole career never be traded without their permission but then they don't have free movement or they can become a nominated free agent and get full freedom to move (outside of contracts of course) but their club also gets full freedom as well.

Thoughts?

The article only mentions Cripps? What did sos say? Is this just more bemoaning that the afl is out to get interstate clubs?

Get rid of the current free agency.

Create new type of 'nominated free agency'.

Here is how it works:

1. Basically all players start off as 'non free agents.' They are not subject to any sort of free agency. Basically like how it was like before the current free agency.

2. After 4 seasons in the AFL (maybe 6 if too generous), before the trade period starts (to prevent weirdness) a player can nominate themselves a free agent.

3. This change in status is permanant and lasts the rest of their career and cannot be changed back. Once you become a free agent there is no turning back.

4. A player who nominate as a free agent counts as a unrestricted free agent for the purposes for trading (can leave club, no chance to match). But they can also be traded by clubs without the player's permission. They count as a full free agent.

Basically the idea is like the amateur/pro split. A player can play it safe their whole career never be traded without their permission but then they don't have free movement or they can become a nominated free agent and get full freedom to move (outside of contracts of course) but their club also gets full freedom as well.

Thoughts?
Any idea that involves trading players without their consent isn’t a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back