Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks extremely lean this year. His strength is shocking given his relative lack of size. Wonder if that is a deliberate decision.
It's only a guess but I'd say yes. He looks more wiry than muscular and I suspect he's as hard as nails. Last year I and a number of other posters expressed the hope that he would be tearing away from the edge of the scrum rather than crunching his way out of the middle. It looks as if we have gotten our wish.

Freo in it up to their eyeballs apparently.
Be part of the next big dynasty before you even hit 22, ride it out for a few premierships & build the brand awareness through the roof then jump ship on max coin in the Superannuation phase of your career ala Malceski, Mumford, Hanners etc... He Wins & the club Wins.

Freo in it up to their eyeballs apparently.
No surprise. His form has been phenomenal this season. Freo and WCE would be idiots if they weren't getting into his agent with informal offers.

Would be great if we could lock him down long term like we did with Blakey. He is 22/23 and only going to get better.

What do you mean? Is that he will request a trade or just they are throwing everything at it and Swans will have to come up with a big contract?

Anything specific Ticky?
My understanding is they will def make an offer and its going to be significant. Got some other stuff but can't say for now still very unconfirmed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner gets the opportunity to do what he can because of the players around him. If he did leave and go to a team with a weaker midfield he will get closed down a lot quicker. Hopefully he will look at what the Swans have and the chance to win premierships and sign up for the next four years and then if money is a real driver he can take the big $$ after that.
Still think we will need to pay $1 million plus a season and I don't have an issue with that.

From his draft profile:- https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/chad-warner/

STRENGTHS

Contested work
Clearances
Defensive pressure
Strength
Accumulation

IMPROVEMENTS

Speed
Kicking penetration

"Compared to some other midfielders in the draft pool, Warner does not boast the same explosive athleticism as some other midfield prospects. However, he did test well at the National Combine in the 2km time trial (6:29 minutes), the and yo-yo test (level 21.6),

What is evident is that Warner plays to his strengths; a handy skill to have in an AFL environment."

I think he well and truly worked on where he needed to improve according to draft websites!
I wonder if Kinnear even knew how good Chad could possibly be thinking he'd get an inside hard worker to a Dusty Martin clone.

Last edited:

STRENGTHS

Contested work
Clearances
Defensive pressure
Strength
Accumulation

IMPROVEMENTS

Speed
Kicking penetration

"Compared to some other midfielders in the draft pool, Warner does not boast the same explosive athleticism as some other midfield prospects. However, he did test well at the National Combine in the 2km time trial (6:29 minutes), the and yo-yo test (level 21.6),

What is evident is that Warner plays to his strengths; a handy skill to have in an AFL environment."

I think he well and truly worked on where he needed to improve according to draft websites!
I wonder if Kinnear even knew how good Chad could possibly be thinking he'd get an inside hard worker to a Dusty Martin clone.
Still recall how chuffed Kinnear & Dalyrmple were when they got it.

STRENGTHS

Contested work
Clearances
Defensive pressure
Strength
Accumulation

IMPROVEMENTS

Speed
Kicking penetration

By all accounts, including KB, Chad has exceeded expectations by some distance.

Look at all the encouragement Freo are given in the media to raid our list.

Only time you hear about us is when the media are questioning our culture (Wicks), our form (too many wins?) or if they are pushing a narrative about who we’re going to lose next (McDonald, Hayward and now Warner).

No one can convince me that the majority of the media aren’t happier when things aren’t going well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time you hear about us is when the media are questioning our culture (Wicks), our form (too many wins?) or if they are pushing a narrative about who we’re going to lose next (McDonald, Hayward and now Warner).

No one can convince me that the majority of the media aren’t happier when things aren’t going well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, they're just happy when they can write a negative story to get clicks. Our position on the ladder does influence what kind of story though.

STRENGTHS

Contested work
Clearances
Defensive pressure
Strength
Accumulation

IMPROVEMENTS

Speed
Kicking penetration

Beatson has said they did not expect the speed Warner has gotten since being drafted and he has been completely taken by surprise. It was unexpected not long after he got drafted, like Cripps and Rohan with their growth spurts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back