Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope we can lock him away for a decent period.

You'd think he'd stick around for the shot at premierships, at least for the short term. I'd be disappointed if he left the swans at any point but he seems like the type that would back himself no matter where he was.

Chad has every right to hang on for the mega bucks...His agent would have him sitting there while Freo and West Coast pump up his worth and Sydney are forced back with some additional bags of cash to match the offers.
Looking from Chad's perspective is there any incentive to go to Freo? They have a diabolically boring style of play that isn't going to win them any flags. Does that style of play suit Chad's game? I don't think so.
West Coast would suit Chad more with some of their younger squad, a good coach and a willingness to have a watchable style of play, but are they unlikely to be flag contenders in the next 5-7 years.
Chad looks to be enjoying his game and he has a fairly free reign in a youngish team that will be in the finals for the foreseeable future.
He will sign an extension, it's just a matter of if its a few years only or 7+

No, they're just happy when they can write a negative story to get clicks. Our position on the ladder does influence what kind of story though.

To be fair though, how many positive stories get clicks across the league? It's going in on Beveridge at the Dogs, or speculating on Hinkley's future (and Simpson last year), etc. negative stories get clicks. So a team cruising top of the ladder without any obvious flaws won't get reams of paper written about them.

The tide may start to turn when it comes to how historically significant our season is becoming though.

Chad has every right to hang on for the mega bucks...His agent would have him sitting there while Freo and West Coast pump up his worth and Sydney are forced back with some additional bags of cash to match the offers.
Looking from Chad's perspective is there any incentive to go to Freo? They have a diabolically boring style of play that isn't going to win them any flags. Does that style of play suit Chad's game? I don't think so.
West Coast would suit Chad more with some of their younger squad, a good coach and a willingness to have a watchable style of play, but are they unlikely to be flag contenders in the next 5-7 years.
Chad looks to be enjoying his game and he has a fairly free reign in a youngish team that will be in the finals for the foreseeable future.
He will sign an extension, it's just a matter of if its a few years only or 7+
Living away from family for 5 or 6 years is one thing.

Living away from family for more than a decade is another.

They’re a pretty close family the Warners & he has a lot of mates in Perth.

The money will be huge whenever he plays.

Could go either way.

Already posted in media thread but on topic here for the chat

No real concerns here.

His going up in value by the week and is still over a year away from being out of contract, his manager wouldn't be doing a good job if he signed now.

If we win the flag this season I can see him potentially leaving and chasing mega bucks, but there is every chance he would want to be part of a potential dynasty side.

Hopefully he doesn't want to be Harley Reid's forgotten helper, or play for a club that never wins anything .

I suspect he mostly wants to be paid the mega bucks he will be able to get if he waits another year to extend. Be silly to sign now in a way.

Apologies for the intrusion, I come in peace etc etc.

Is this actually a realistic chance of happening? Obviously WC would have more draft capital than Freo to offer Sydney if Chad wanted to move back to WA, and the minimum starting point would surely be 3 and 21. I also think Sydney and WC traditionally have an amicable trading history and hopefully we have been respectful of his contracted player status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this actually a realistic chance of happening? Obviously WC would have more draft capital than Freo to offer Sydney if Chad wanted to move back to WA, and the minimum starting point would surely be 3 and 21. I also think Sydney and WC traditionally have an amicable trading history and hopefully we have been respectful of his contracted player status.

Its early days, but so far majority of our group have really stayed together.

Warners brother (Corey) is also at the club which probably helps.

Right now I think he stays, would be a stupid decision to sign a new contract now as he would be leaving $$$ on the table, especially with the new CBA kicking in.

If we win the flag and another club offers something like 1.6 or 1.7 a year though might be hard for him to say no.

That being said, after the Dawson deal biting us in the ass I doubt Sydney would be as nice as the table as we have been in the past (no fault of WCE here), especially as Warner is an out and put gun of the game.

Most pundits have no idea and it is all murmurrings at the moment.

Would have to be big coin and massive draft/player capital for us to let him go end of this year.

End 2025, who knows.

Most pundits have no idea and it is all murmurrings at the moment.

Would have to be big coin and massive draft/player capital for us to let him go end of this year.

End 2025, who knows.

New CBA as well

Far better to do talks after that goes through

Losing players interstate is always realistic for us, but I'd say this news changes nothing. He was always a year out if contract, his value was always going to go up if he recaptured his 2022 form and built on that, which he has.

He's reportedly very close to his teammates and he's got his brother here, but he's going to get some monster $$ offers. I could see him not even going back to WA if a big Victorian club said "here's some ridiculous cash, you're gonna be our captain and marquee mid, think of all the sponsorship opportunities". Richmond maybe, as their new Dusty?

I do think WC would be attractive, especially if he wins a Premiership here before he leaves. Go and partner with Harley Reid to rebuild the side and win Premierships at multiple clubs.

Ultimately his performances, the performances of the Swans, and how our other contracts pan out will determine the final result, but I'd say he's no chance of leaving next year (given he's contracted) and maybe a 30% chance of leaving in 2026.

And if he wins a flag or two with us and then goes to another club for $$, leadership chances and/or a homecoming, then honestly no hard feelings for me. If he leaves before we win a flag I'll be more upset, but I'll never begrudge a Premiership player who leaves for a new challenge and better $$. That's the reality of salary caps.

Already posted in media thread but on topic here for the chat

Warner is contracted to the Swans until the end of next season and his manager, Luke Morabito, was coy about his client’s future when contacted on Sunday, saying only that he wanted to win a premiership with the Swans.

That is somewhat promising!

Can't believe there is this much discussion over his contract, though; it doesn't expire until end of next season! There's going to be a long, nervous wait until he's inked a contract somewhere, but for sure, he is going to be on at least $1m per year no matter where he is going to be playing in 2026. Fingers crossed it's with us - I'm sure it will be.

Pick 3 and next year's first round pick as a starting point.

The last couple of weeks Warner is playing like the best player in the comp and at 22 still has growth. Plus being contracted we can hold him until a better offer comes along

Hey if Warner is hell bent on leaving surely you would be looking to trade him out this year? If you wait next year end your picks you receive will be diluted due to Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back