Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Two of his first quarter kicks were straight turnovers, but he tightened up from then. Totally agree with the sometimes tries to be too cute thing. Just kick the bloody ball - use Melksham as an example here.

All of Gus's highlights in his first year were his tackling pressure and his direct kicks over the zone. Maybe I went early on him. Whatever it is what it is but he's far better when he's direct

All of Gus's highlights in his first year were his tackling pressure and his direct kicks over the zone. Maybe I went early on him. Whatever it is what it is but he's far better when he's direct
Doesn’t mind a gut run either. His tackling has disappeared though

Doesn’t mind a gut run either. His tackling has disappeared though

He uses his body well when the balls in dispute, much like Trenners in his first year. His first instinct is to push his opponent to advantage himself and I do like that. Not sticking his tackles like he was, conscious of his head? I dunno.

Pulled some huge tackle numbers in his first year. Had plenty of missed tackles on Sunday
It wasn't as contested as usual, so all tackle numbers were down.

But I do agree with you. He was pulling down huge tackles early. I still expect him to get back there as his confidence grows.

I loved when he got the ball when he first started out because he always went quickly and direct to the best option upfield (even if that meant kicking to advantage to a contest), he just didn't muck around with it. He got some of that mojo back on the weekend.

Looks like he will string some good games together before signing a new contract, dont blame him. If he can play like he did on the weekend then there will be a bit extra on his contractater in the year.

Looks like he will string some good games together before signing a new contract, dont blame him. If he can play like he did on the weekend then there will be a bit extra on his contractater in the year.
He’ll get $300-400k to stay at the Dees, I’d say. Still susceptible to concussion. Length of the deal will be interesting - Gus would want a shorter deal (two years) in case he explodes next year, but a long deal offers him more security in the event of a head clash. Likewise the club might want to get him at value over 3 or 4 years but would be wary of forking over too much in case he goes down

He’ll get $300-400k to stay at the Dees, I’d say. Still susceptible to concussion. Length of the deal will be interesting - Gus would want a shorter deal (two years) in case he explodes next year, but a long deal offers him more security in the event of a head clash. Likewise the club might want to get him at value over 3 or 4 years but would be wary of forking over too much in case he goes down
Yeah all considered I’d guess 3 years @400k

We have form in rewarding players early on in a contract when they exceed expectations (Vince). Surely Gus' family and manager will be hot on him signing for three or four given his concussion issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In AFL Evolution i traded for both the Brayshaws. This has no real relevance to the real world but it made me feel warm and fuzzy. Combined they are Hamish and Andy

Considering the family link & space in the cap I wonder if North might throw money at him if his season continues the way it is.

How is the new update? Haven't had time to check it out.
List's are okay, New jumpers are good. Perth Stadium is alright just has some cam issues

In AFL Evolution i traded for both the Brayshaws. This has no real relevance to the real world but it made me feel warm and fuzzy. Combined they are Hamish and Andy

How is the new update? Haven't had time to check it out.
game worth the money? Been hesitant in case it suxks

It's alrightish. Probably the best thing since AFL live 2011. Not sure about the console but you can adjust a lot of stuff with sliders on the PC to suit if it doesn't feel good enough

Its a bit s**t, but also very playable. The mechanics are its biggest strength, the marking is great and so is the running with the ball. Not buying the update for an extra 80, mind.

Its a bit s**t, but also very playable. The mechanics are its biggest strength, the marking is great and so is the running with the ball. Not buying the update for an extra 80, mind.

80 for an update! What the * lol.

See that's funny cause all the stuff I read on big footy were people complaining about the marking, so I'm guessing it's more just learning how to do it that's hard?

If you already have the base game, the new stuff is $15

80 for an update! What the **** lol.

See that's funny cause all the stuff I read on big footy were people complaining about the marking, so I'm guessing it's more just learning how to do it that's hard?
The marking became easier when people realised you time your click rather than hold and release, which was originally in the guidebook. The way a well timed mark looks and feels is pretty fun. There's definitely a 'weight' to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back