Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Would love to know where Rosman is at, really hope he can eventually take Brayshaw's wing and Gus traded.

Should just stop ignoring the obvious and put ANB on the wing opposite Langdon?

Should just stop ignoring the obvious and put ANB on the wing opposite Langdon?
nah, ANB has been playing more on ball lately and to great effect. He's a natural on baller like gus but just better in almost every way. I've never been a massive ANB fan through the years but i always thought he was a pure mid, great ability to get out of traffic, clean hands, good pressure. Been surprised he's become such a good forward.

nah, ANB has been playing more on ball lately and to great effect. He's a natural on baller like gus but just better in almost every way. I've never been a massive ANB fan through the years but i always thought he was a pure mid, great ability to get out of traffic, clean hands, good pressure. Been surprised he's become such a good forward.

yea, and on second thoughts im pretty sure hes the leader of the small forward brigade, wouldn't want to take him away and it all fall to s**t.

Hes the calming voice who organises chaos.

I love my last sentence btw.

yea, and on second thoughts im pretty sure hes the leader of the small forward brigade, wouldn't want to take him away and it all fall to sh*t.

Hes the calming voice who organises chaos.

I love my last sentence btw.
steady on shakespeare

There’s twenty posts in every gameday thread when he botches a disposal but donuts when he does something good. Dees board resident whipping boy.

One of our few mids that appears to have a brain too, and that’s important. Imagine if it was Clarry or Petracca trying to direct our players on-field.

Would love to know where Rosman is at, really hope he can eventually take Brayshaw's wing and Gus traded.
Well between being a skinny kid and not playing much footy for two years, and Brayshaw holding his spot in the minor premiers side despite 'being s**t', I'd suggest Rosman is nowhere near it yet.

You'd have loved this board ten years ago. Whiteboard Wednesday. Young players are always amazing...until you see them play.

There’s twenty posts in every gameday thread when he botches a disposal but donuts when he does something good. Dees board resident whipping boy.

One of our few mids that appears to have a brain too, and that’s important. Imagine if it was Clarry or Petracca trying to direct our players on-field.
Brayshaw is the dumbest of our mids. Whipping boy for a reason, massive draft bust who's lucky to be getting a game each week and is being very overvalued for playing a role any afl player could do

Well between being a skinny kid and not playing much footy for two years, and Brayshaw holding his spot in the minor premiers side despite 'being sh*t', I'd suggest Rosman is nowhere near it yet.

You'd have loved this board ten years ago. Whiteboard Wednesday. Young players are always amazing...until you see them play.
nah i know, thinking long-term

nah i know, thinking long-term
Gus isn't perfect, but he's pretty clearly playing his role.

Kamdyn Macintosh is a 3x Premiership winger. Ask Richmond supporters what they thought of him individually most weeks, particularly in 17/19. Wingers in modern footy just need to play a role properly.

Yeah I don't think Gus is great but I think trading him is pointless because he has no value, and he's clearly part of the fabric of the club

Plus I just don't see many league wide upgrades. We would have to develop internally and it looks like it takes about 5 years of pre seasons to get the amount of running in you'd need for our wing role

Yeah I don't think Gus is great but I think trading him is pointless because he has no value, and he's clearly part of the fabric of the club

Plus I just don't see many league wide upgrades. We would have to develop internally and it looks like it takes about 5 years of pre seasons to get the amount of running in you'd need for our wing role
rosman won our 2k time trial...

Rosman is raw as anything. He’s not playing before next year and may not even until 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rosman has the best hair in the afl already, im keen to see him play on that reason alone.
i think i will love him like Frost and SGTR. Getting those vibes from the hair and freakish athletic ability

i think i will love him like Frost and SGTR. Getting those vibes from the hair and freakish athletic ability

hes got some it factor for sure, big lump of kid massive for a winger, flowing hair, kicks like a mule

massive draft bust
Pfft.

2014 draft had Petracca, Lever, Brayshaw, Touk Miller and this campaigner:
iu

I've been hard on Brayshaw over the last couple of years, and IMO fairly so, but I thought he was great on Saturday. I truly thought all the board's 'whipping boys' were really good; Brayshaw, ANB, Harmes, Viney, J.Smith, B.Brown.

You love to see it.

I've been hard on Brayshaw over the last couple of years, and IMO fairly so, but I thought he was great on Saturday. I truly thought all the board's 'whipping boys' were really good; Brayshaw, ANB, Harmes, Viney, J.Smith, B.Brown.

You love to see it.
Yup, totally. Hunt too.

ANB's been unreal this year. Dunno if I just never noticed before but he's really good in close contests. Love him kicking inside 50, and he's a bit of a cLuTcH goalkicker as well.

Yup, totally. Hunt too.

ANB's been unreal this year. Dunno if I just never noticed before but he's really good in close contests. Love him kicking inside 50, and he's a bit of a cLuTcH goalkicker as well.
ANB really improved his awareness and this has been significantly evident this year.

In the past he would just bang the footy on the boot in such a panic form that it would just be a simple turnover. Now he's one of our best kicks inside forward and is keeping his game simple and playing to his limitations.

Certainly the most improved player on our list.

ANB has been great this year. Agree he is a pure onballer. He proved that several years ago in the VFL by racking up crazy numbers. Thought he was great the other night.

As for Gus, I've said it before that he is a big driving force with the culture at our club. Seems to be very well liked by the playing group, and you can always see him after a win/loss get around the boys. Defensively seems to be doing a decent job on the wing too. Offensively not so much. He's lost all confidence in his kicking when he does move it forward. You watch him and Ed operate. Completely different. Ed consistently finds space and moves forward into dangerous positions. Gus hardly ever finds space and moves more into a defensive position. We can't expect the same output from these guys when they are playing the same position, but different roles. He does also add another inside mid option if Oliver or Trac were to god forbid get injured. Can give bursts at stoppages when required. I wouldn't be trading him unless we can get a seriously good piece coming back our way which is doubtful...

Brayshaw had a good game on the weekend and deserves praise. Kicking it out on the full under zero pressure is still so frustrating though, wish he got it out of his game. He is technically a better kick than Trac for example but sometimes just absolutely sprays it.
And that kick in the first where he just popped it up for Brown(i think) showed he is lacking confidence with his kicking. Team first no selfish play yes, but he should have had a shot on goal with zero pressure and about 35 out from goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back