Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Hope the coaching staff start training players on how to lunge forward and smother correctly from this week on.

It seems like its the only time you are allowed to turn your body and the opponents head isn't sacrosanct anymore

Hope the coaching staff start training players on how to lunge forward and smother correctly from this week on.

It seems like its the only time you are allowed to turn your body and the opponents head isn't sacrosanct anymore
Why stop as smothers? Ball going over your head? Run back with the flight jump then turn the shoulder at the last second when you can’t mark it.

It’s a Victory for common sense - nothing more.
So enjoy it elsewhere. Right or wrong we are still very sensitive to one of our players being hurt. You didn't see me jumping into the gold coast board to celebrate JVR getting off that spoil. You're allowed to enjoy your victory, it's probably the right outcome. But at the end of the day our player was still seriously hurt, and that is where our support on this board lies first. Celebrate your victory elsewhere while we focus on the wellfare of our player

Collingwood people please feel free to celebrate on your own board.
It's remarkable how many times this needs to be said, lol.

Have cleaned some of it up – if more comes through, use the report button and it'll be dealt with.

They weren't let down by the AFL. Brayshaw plays a contact sport which he gets paid well for. I feel for him and his family but at the end of the day Brayshaw has a glass jaw. He chooses to continue to play a highly combative contact Sport.
People like Brayshaw and Mccartin make this decision knowing they are extra susceptible. You can't then put it on the players involved in dubious incidents.
The Media's rhetoric and agenda came to the fore and everyone drank the Kool aid. Yes Brayshaw has concussion issues, yes he dates Danny frawleys daughter, yes his brother came out and said he might retire, yes his parents were upset and yes (super disappointingly) Melbourne FC condemned the incident but none of that actually matters or contributes/changes anything that happened on the field.
The fact is they were right at the tribunal Brayshaw moved towards the contact and there was nothing Maynard could do.
The realism of tonight is that the Tribunal basically decided who has to argue "error in law" at the Appeal Board. It is still 50/50.

The realism of tonight is that the Tribunal basically decided who has to argue "error in law" at the Appeal Board. It is still 50/50.
AFL-led appeals are extremely rare. I don't really see them going down that path tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever, was always going to end with him playing on appeal anyway.

I'd like to think Maynard will change his reckless way of playing, but he'll just see this as vindication.

Awful decision and Melbourne supporters have every right to feel betrayed by the AFL.

Rational and reasonable footy fans are on your side.

Hope Angus is okay :thumbsu:

Whatever, was always going to end with him playing on appeal anyway.

I'd like to think Maynard will change his reckless way of playing, but he'll just see this as vindication.
Lol Maynard plays footy exactly how you want every player to play.

Really surprised at the decision but glad the back and forth is over now.

Amongst all the confusion, my only real query was if it was a teammate in front of Maynard in a praccy match, would he still have 'no alternative ' but to cannon into him with his shoulder? Or would he have found a way to minimise the contact? That's why I thought he'd have to be suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back