Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Fingers crossed but I don't see him making it.
I don't know how you could go from an innocuous hit in the VFL to then forging a 10 year incident free career
Has happened.
Wait and see I spose

Not in this day an age of concussion protocol. I can't think of anyone who had a tonne of concussions early and then just stopped.

I obviously don't know but he has the feel of a punch drunk boxer
Not the same class of player but Ro Bail comes to mind.

Not in this day an age of concussion protocol. I can't think of anyone who had a tonne of concussions early and then just stopped.

I obviously don't know but he has the feel of a punch drunk boxer

Selwood and Dangerfield are two.

Not the same class of player but Ro Bail comes to mind.

Bail was never the same player as younger and retired with concussion problems and is claiming benefits from the AFL

Selwood and Dangerfield are two.

Selwood has a much harder head than Bray. I can't remember him getting concussion much early, plus the ones he did get were from massive blows not the soft ones causing brays

Danger did get a couple young but again none were from small hits and I don't remember him missing games. Even after the Trengove tackle he played the next week if I'm not mistaken

Bail was never the same player as younger and retired with concussion problems and is claiming benefits from the AFL

How does this work? He is making very good money playing country footy up here. Surely a bricky couldn't retire and claim compo for back problems then and go back to work as a bricky for a new employer and retain the compo

How does this work? He is making very good money playing country footy up here. Surely a bricky couldn't retire and claim compo for back problems then and go back to work as a bricky for a new employer and retain the compo

Might be getting players mixed up but you can claim compensation from the players association if you can show you couldn't get a new contract due to a medical condition.
He might have already been paid out the compo as well as far as I know it's a 1 or 2 year thing.

I might be getting mixed up with Daniel bell...

I must be the only one that thinks Gus' latest hit was far from innocuous ... there was still reasonable contact to his head. I don't doubt that your average getting the same would have been ok, but it was hardly a stiff breeze or anything.

Last year or the year before when McCartin was struggling with concussions, I'm pretty sure he got one when he fell on the ground, didn't hit his head on the turf or anything, just went up for a mark, landed on the ground, and was done for the day. Doesn't seem to have any issues these days.

I must be the only one that thinks Gus' latest hit was far from innocuous ... there was still reasonable contact to his head. I don't doubt that your average getting the same would have been ok, but it was hardly a stiff breeze or anything.

Last year or the year before when McCartin was struggling with concussions, I'm pretty sure he got one when he fell on the ground, didn't hit his head on the turf or anything, just went up for a mark, landed on the ground, and was done for the day. Doesn't seem to have any issues these days.
Has issues with being not very good at football though. Bravely battling through

I think most of us here are not doctors (I was half a doctor, but never fully qualified and I still have no idea what's going on with Gus), let alone Gus' doctors - so anything we conclude at this stage is just supposition based on a limited number of anecdotes and observations we've made. As footy fans, I think we tend towards absolutism - that guy is a star, that guy will never be any good, that guy's knee will never be right, etc. But actually there are a lot of subtle shades of grey in life. I'm worried about Gus and whether he'll recover, but I wouldn't put him out to pasture just yet. He might come good. Just look at Daniel Menzel: 99% of people were totally convinced his knee would never be right. Now look at him. Maybe even O'Meara will come good. We can't know. Just gotta hope for the best for Gus because he has a lot of talent.

I think most of us here are not doctors (I was half a doctor, but never fully qualified and I still have no idea what's going on with Gus), let alone Gus' doctors - so anything we conclude at this stage is just supposition based on a limited number of anecdotes and observations we've made. As footy fans, I think we tend towards absolutism - that guy is a star, that guy will never be any good, that guy's knee will never be right, etc. But actually there are a lot of subtle shades of grey in life. I'm worried about Gus and whether he'll recover, but I wouldn't put him out to pasture just yet. He might come good. Just look at Daniel Menzel: 99% of people were totally convinced his knee would never be right. Now look at him. Maybe even O'Meara will come good. We can't know. Just gotta hope for the best for Gus because he has a lot of talent.
Can't really compare this to a busted knee. We have to be a lot more cautious with Gus (to the point of being paternalistic) because a chronic ACL injury isn't going to ruin your life like permanent brain damage is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity, how can you be half a doctor?

Can't really compare this to a busted knee. We have to be a lot more cautious with Gus (to the point of being paternalistic) because a chronic ACL injury isn't going to ruin your life like permanent brain damage is
The point I'm making is that we are making judgements in ignorance. None of us really knows the nature of what's happening - only his doctors do. I would assume that if he really had no prospect of playing football safely again, he wouldn't be still trying. A bit like Menzel in the sense that most people thought they knew what was going to happen, but it was an opinion formed in ignorance without any detailed medical knowledge of his case - he proceeded on the advice he was given and he's now back. We can't rule out that the same won't happen with Gus. It's fair enough to be worried and doubtful, but we can't just say "he should retire". So, I'm worried, sceptical even, but still hopeful.

The point I'm making is that we are making judgements in ignorance. None of us really knows the nature of what's happening - only his doctors do. I would assume that if he really had no prospect of playing football safely again, he wouldn't be still trying. A bit like Menzel in the sense that most people thought they knew what was going to happen, but it was an opinion formed in ignorance without any detailed medical knowledge of his case - he proceeded on the advice he was given and he's now back. We can't rule out that the same won't happen with Gus. It's fair enough to be worried and doubtful, but we can't just say "he should retire". So, I'm worried, sceptical even, but still hopeful.
Yah but I think in Menzel's case it was a lot easier for the doctor's to say 'feel free to go back to playing, you may bust your knee again but we can just do another repair or it might be the last time we're able to do it' etc etc, whereas the science with regards to brain injuries is all still rather contentious and unknown and as I said earlier the risk of serious life impacting injury is much greater so even those doctors who 'do' know what's going on will have to err on the side on caution

Half a doctor is when you do your degree in medical science but you don't complete your practical placements. That's why Dr Zoidberg represents of well. ;)

Fair enough :)

Decided it wasn't for you? I've got a couple of friends who did the same thing. One was masochistic enough to go from med science for 5 years to vet science for another 5!

Fair enough :)

Decided it wasn't for you? I've got a couple of friends who did the same thing. One was masochistic enough to go from med science for 5 years to vet science for another 5!
Pretty much. Sometimes I look back and think geez my bank balance would look a lot nicer if I'd stuck with it - especially since I became a musician and teacher! But hey, you've gotta go where you heart is.

Pretty much. Sometimes I look back and think geez my bank balance would look a lot nicer if I'd stuck with it - especially since I became a musician and teacher! But hey, you've gotta go where you heart is.

Very true. Bank balance might be happier but you wouldn't be.

Might be getting players mixed up but you can claim compensation from the players association if you can show you couldn't get a new contract due to a medical condition.
He might have already been paid out the compo as well as far as I know it's a 1 or 2 year thing.

I might be getting mixed up with Daniel bell...

You maybe thinking of Sam blease. Retired from the cats after one season

The docs I know are horribly overworked. Seems like a campaigner of job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back