Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

We also don't know how Naismith's skills could've developed if he was playing regularly. I remember Max Gawn in his very early years was a gangly, uncoordinated dinosaur, but his skills have improved with each year and he's now the complete ruckman.

30 games in nine years just hasn't given Naismith the chance to improve much, because he's always starting from square one again with each return from injury.

Y
We also don't know how Naismith's skills could've developed if he was playing regularly. I remember Max Gawn in his very early years was a gangly, uncoordinated dinosaur, but his skills have improved with each year and he's now the complete ruckman.

30 games in nine years just hasn't given Naismith the chance to improve much, because he's always starting from square one again with each return from injury.

I saw Gawn play a few games in his first couple of seasons and dismissed him as an unco Giraffe who would never make it - Wrong!!!

However I have seen nothing in Sam to suggest he can do more than tap the ball. I hope he gets back and plays a few games. I really do not see the guy as more than a back up. But that is ok. If he gets through the rest of the year playing then I see no reason why he cannot be retained for one more year.

Y

I saw Gawn play a few games in his first couple of seasons and dismissed him as an unco Giraffe who would never make it - Wrong!!!

However I have seen nothing in Sam to suggest he can do more than tap the ball. I hope he gets back and plays a few games. I really do not see the guy as more than a back up. But that is ok. If he gets through the rest of the year playing then I see no reason why he cannot be retained for one more year.

FYI he has already been extended for 2022.

SYDNEY ruckman Sam Naismith has been wiped off the free agency list after quietly signing a contract extension for next year.
Naismith, who is set to resume full training this week after his most recent knee surgery from last year, was due to become a free agent this year but the Swans have added another season to his deal through to the end of 2022.

The luckless 28-year-old underwent his latest round of ACL surgery last July when, playing in his 30th game, he suffered the torn ligament. It followed his first knee reconstruction in the pre-season of 2018 and he also missed the entire 2019 campaign with further complications with his knee.

The Swans rate his impact highly when he is fit, with Naismith playing in the club's 2016 Grand Final loss to the Western Bulldogs and then featuring in 15 games the following season. He is aiming for a return to the field at VFL level within the coming weeks. – Callum Twomey

Thanks HPKS for the link

SYDNEY ruckman Sam Naismith has been wiped off the free agency list after quietly signing a contract extension for next year.
Naismith, who is set to resume full training this week after his most recent knee surgery from last year, was due to become a free agent this year but the Swans have added another season to his deal through to the end of 2022.

The luckless 28-year-old underwent his latest round of ACL surgery last July when, playing in his 30th game, he suffered the torn ligament. It followed his first knee reconstruction in the pre-season of 2018 and he also missed the entire 2019 campaign with further complications with his knee.

The Swans rate his impact highly when he is fit, with Naismith playing in the club's 2016 Grand Final loss to the Western Bulldogs and then featuring in 15 games the following season. He is aiming for a return to the field at VFL level within the coming weeks. – Callum Twomey

Thanks HPKS for the link

We must be realllly confident he can still be serviceable at AFL level after so many ACL's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever signed him up before he’s even played a game this year should be sacked

ridiculous list management decision
We aren't signing him on the basis of this year.

We're signing him on the basis of his previous 8 years on the list for a total of 30 games, 0 Brownlow votes, and 0 Top 10 B&F places.

We aren't signing him on the basis of this year.

We're signing him on the basis of his previous 8 years on the list for a total of 30 games, 0 Brownlow votes, and 0 Top 10 B&F places.

You forgot that he's tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back