Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say that like as if Luke has been a complete and utter bust. Both are different players and I dont jizz in my pants like some neutrals do over Cripps

There are posters on here who 100% would say now draft Cripps and not Luke.

I on the other hand view him like this.

Kid burns for the North Melbourne has the sort of Passion that can carry the culture of the Club.

Wouldn't give him up, even for Cripps

Last edited:
There are posters on here who 100% would say now draft Cripps and not Luke.

I on the other hand view him lime this.
Doesn't bother me. I am extremely happy with Luke and not just because the kid has blue and white in his blood. I think people over rate Cripps. Cripps is an extremely good player but the way I have seen people rate him, you would think he GAJ V2!

Personally see mcdonald in the same mould as hannebery! Tough inside mid with good skills and with lukes penetratung kick can see him kicking in excess of 20 goals a year! If he eventually is given midfield time

Doesn't bother me. I am extremely happy with Luke and not just because the kid has blue and white in his blood. I think people over rate Cripps. Cripps is an extremely good player but the way I have seen people rate him, you would think he GAJ V2!

It's the size in the midfield thing I'm sure of it.

As to Luke, apprenticeship is over, he moves into the midfield next year.

I think too many here are blinded by the 'father/son' hype. He's kicking early in the year was woeful. It did improve and he certainly warranted his spot in the side.

But he isn't setting the world on fire. Luke's just a best 22 player.

No one can question his commitment/heart but at this stage so far....we've paid big overs for a lock down defender who's supposed to be an elite kick of the footy.

Pre-Draft some on here even went as far as saying he was the best of his draft group.

I think too many here are blinded by the 'father/son' hype. He's kicking early in the year was woeful. It did improve and he certainly warranted his spot in the side.

No one can question his commitment/heart but at this stage so far....we've paid big overs for a lock down defender who's supposed to be an elite kick of the footy.

Pre-Draft some on here even went as far as saying he was the best of his draft group.

Woeful is overselling it.

I thought he was having a break out year until he pinged that hammy chasing down the "Delicious" one.

I reckon he can take his game to another two levels, 1 level up and he becomes very good, 2 levels up and he becomes scary good.

People say Cripps is overrated then I read LMac is an inside mid like Hannebury.

Interesting.

Last edited:

I think that's underselling him. He was easily best 22 this year before going down and was improving each month from a solid base. I know we all think that any pick in the top 10 is guaranteed but the reality is that all drafts are not created equal. We've torched first round picks on players that didn't even look like being best 22 for 25 games. I think if, and it's a big if McDonald doesn't improve from what we saw pre hamstring we can still be reasonably comfortable with the recruitment. Personally I think he's a slow burner and will be more than useful for a long career to come.

Inside, outside, who cares, kid needs to play in the midfield though.

I don't disagree at all, it's time. Just find the Hannebury comparison a bit odd.

Hope LMac can continue his improvement, he is getting better and no doubting his attitude.

And yes ^ i'm sure some would trade LMac for Cripps. He is already a jet and currently second best clearance player in the league.

Last edited:
He was excellent before his hamstring injury curtailed what was shaping up as a very good year.

Like a few others, I want to see him move into the midfield as well. I think his skillset will compliment our other mids and he will add a bit of inside/outside quality as well as his ever improving skill by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Words like break out/excellent year is something I would describe players like Cripps, Bontempelli, Merrett and M.Crouch.
Yeah because they played a full year, LMac was right on target until the hammy gave in chasing down one of the fastest players in the comp.

Don't stress ol mate, Luke will be just fine.

Words like break out/excellent year is something I would describe players like Cripps, Bontempelli, Merrett and M.Crouch.
I agree with you on this, however I really do hope being thrown into the midfield next year works for him/us and he can get that breakout year.

I agree with you on this, however I really do hope being thrown into the midfield next year works for him/us and he can get that breakout year.

The position he plays is irrelevent....I'm still waiting to see this elite kicking and hitting targets that everyone was on about.

You take away all the bells'n'whistles associated with Luke ie Father/Son gun, Captain of U18 team, rave reviews with Werribee form and the hype on this board drafting this kid......what have we got? Did we invest pick 8 on a lock down defender with just heart/determination? You can find an abundance of those types in the draft.

Gotta call it how it is.

We have a coach that has not played him in the middle.

Is this his fault?

He was lucky to be best 22 let alone "break out" prior to this season. This season looked better before injured (but still off elite quality)

So you are suggesting Scott has no idea because LMac hasn't played there yet? (probably right)

The position he plays is irrelevent....I'm still waiting to see this elite kicking and hitting targets that everyone was on about.

You take away all the bells'n'whistles associated with Luke ie Father/Son gun, Captain of U18 team, rave reviews with Werribee form and the hype on this board drafting this kid......what have we got? Did we invest pick 8 on a lock down defender with just heart/determination? You can find an abundance of those types in the draft.

Gotta call it how it is.

Ummm...

Gotta call it how it is.
That is very true about his kicking, his first two years, it was iffy at the best of times. I suppose the encouraging thing is that we saw some of that elite kicking that we were promised earlier this year.

There is that concern that he'll remain that type of defender, but I really hope not, he's got the build for the Hodge role, whether he has the talent is the question that lingers around like a bad smell. Next year will define his career.

Is it composure? Decision-making? Lack of confidence? Or a lack of skill?

I would suggest it's the first three, but that question over talent needs to be answered early next year.

I'm not fussed what position he plays.

Brady Rawlings was an absolute elite stopper.

I mean he was one of the best in the league at tagging.

He could play backline, but he looked completely different there and his poor skill execution shone though.

Position can make all the difference in the world.

Bont, Cripps these players have been given the opportunity to play midfield. Luke will shine when this is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back