Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean Snake, but at the end of the season last year he had players bouncing off him. He has that core strength now. and now another preseason under his belt.....giddy up !!

How many of those blokes were Ablett, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Sellwood, Fyfe, Mitchell, Sloane, Martin, Cripps, Crouch, Parker..................................................?

That's a great stat. Who were the top 5 if you don't mind me asking?

It's a great stat relative to the wingers and flankers that Luke encountered.

Inside mids are a whole other ball game.

Last edited:

Inside midfielders are a dime a dozen and the short ones are getting phased out.

Worpel went in the 40's and Constable went at 35 and he was arguably one of the best in the draft.

We will be able to pick up a quality inside mid with one of our third rounders this year.

or Walsh with our first!

I don’t think he has to be an inside mid, purely.

Just sit back and watch Higgins. If he can play that same inside/our role he will win the B&F.

Walsh is a Paul Kelly total midfielder.

Guy racks up 30 for fun.

He would set us up beautifully from an pure inside perspective:

Inside

Jacobs
LDU
Walsh

Rotation inside

Cunnington
Ziebell

Possible others

Dumont
Hayden
Zurhaar

Jy Simpkin plays chicken with a motorcyclist is all but forgotten.

I don't see him as a pure inside midfielder.

I see him as the next Boomer Harvey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that and raise you a Shane Woewodin.
Oh, Woewodin gets talked about. Just not in a good way.

As for Luke, he certainly has that core strength to break tackles and it's great to watch, but I can only remember seeing it in relatively open play and that doesn't necessarily translate to inside work. Better to be evasive than strong on the inside if it comes down to a choice IMHO (of course, being a JPK or Cripps type bull is also great but there aren't many of them. Even Fyfe and Bont have a lot more going for them than brute strength).

Not sure he has the build of a genuine inside mid. He’s quite rangy. Plus you don’t want to limit the effectiveness of that left peg on the bottom of packs. Wing / attacking hb for me.

I was surprised when i met him at the family day just how big he isn't. I thought he'd be a bigger unit but he's not really.

Oh, Woewodin gets talked about. Just not in a good way.

As for Luke, he certainly has that core strength to break tackles and it's great to watch, but I can only remember seeing it in relatively open play and that doesn't necessarily translate to inside work. Better to be evasive than strong on the inside if it comes down to a choice IMHO (of course, being a JPK or Cripps type bull is also great but there aren't many of them. Even Fyfe and Bont have a lot more going for them than brute strength).

I can definitely remember seeing him burst thru/out of packs and at the same time break tackles by running out of them last year. Dunno who was in the packs or how big and strong they were but I remember thinking "Awesome!! - that's a good sign."

I see Luke more of a wingman. The guy you want driving down the wing, breaking tackles and driving the ball into the FWD line.

How many of those blokes were Ablett, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Sellwood, Fyfe, Mitchell, Sloane, Martin, Cripps, Crouch, Parker..................................................?

It's a great stat relative to the wingers and flankers that Luke encountered.

Inside mids are a whole other ball game.

I'm now not sure it is a stat

I think Sam P-P was second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back