Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not quite at the level of that infamous game against Adelaide, but he is routinely taking on aggressors and getting the better of them again. You can clearly see what he is trying to do with ball in hand and it's exiting for the future. He's not even just playing as a winger now, he's full blown at Goldy's feet at some around the ground stoppages. To the extent that twice in a row it was tapped directly to him, 15 millimetres away from goldy, resulting in an instant ball up. Kinda funny tbh. Goldy really did have a bad night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to put the cat among the pigeons..

What exactly is Luke's best 22 role in a winning side?

Does a strong game from Luke correlate to the team winning?

I can't quite get my head around him. His positives are obvious - outright passion, loves the club, breaks tackles and has added some really strong marking to his game.

But there's something I find unconvincing about his best position and his disposal and decision making when in possession.

Not writing him off and I love his attitude and physicality, but often find myself wondering exactly where he plays in a top 4 side.

I can't quite get my head around him. His positives are obvious - outright passion, loves the club, breaks tackles and has added some really strong marking to his game.

But there's something I find unconvincing about his best position and his disposal and decision making when in possession.

Not writing him off and I love his attitude and physicality, but often find myself wondering exactly where he plays in a top 4 side.

Feel like Jack’s playing his position. Looks lost up the field.

Like most of the team yesterday. .. reactive and giving opponent way too much room.
Always seems like he is gassed..

He just isn't that good a footballer.
He scabbed some kick ins yesterday to then just kick it 15m in to the pocket. Why he thought he was a better option than Hall is anyones guess.
I can't remember when he has been the first player to a 50-50 ground ball all year. The most common scenario is he will appear to be desperately trying to reach the ball winner, to just miss out on impeding them.

He just isn't that good a footballer.
He scabbed some kick ins yesterday to then just kick it 15m in to the pocket. Why he thought he was a better option than Hall is anyones guess.
I can't remember when he has been the first player to a 50-50 ground ball all year. The most common scenario is he will appear to be desperately trying to reach the ball winner, to just miss out on impeding them.
Harsh man, Luke coming off his best season yet, injury interrupted preseason, tears a pec first game back(how does that happen x2 is beyond me) and with vfl the way it is, a long term injury this year meant pretty much starting from square one.

He should have a solid preseason and be there and abouts the top couple in our team going forward. He’s going to make a few look silly next year for writing him off.

Last edited:
Harsh man, Luke coming off his best season yet, tears a pec(how does that happen x2 is beyond me) and with vfl the way it is, a long term injury this year meant pretty much starting from square one.

He should have a solid preseason and be there and abouts the top couple in our team going forward. He’s going to make a few look silly next year for writing him off.
I understand that. I just would have played someone else rather than trying to run him in to form at the highest level. That's what Brad used to do and I don't like it.

Good lock down small defender - but an average player further up the ground.

Needs to return to the back 6 next year.
Although their good weighs so much more than their bad but It’s beyond me how we managed to have the worst 2 left footers in the comp playing yesterday in Jed & Luke when we all know how silky smooth most left footers are in the AFL

I understand that. I just would have played someone else rather than trying to run him in to form at the highest level. That's what Brad used to do and I don't like it.
I’m not sure they were running them into form, getting them out there in a new role without vfl, is probably more aft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back