Player Watch 11 marks in a season gets you an AA Ruck position

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ryan? Watched any Freo this year? Our best player by a mile. I didn’t watch enough Port to make an assessment on Byrne-Jones but I do like his mullet.
Don't bother, the guys a rugby fan that's only just started following Oz rules.

Last edited:
Luke Ryan? Watched any Freo this year? Our best player by a mile. I didn’t watch enough Port to make an assessment on Byrne-Jones but I do like his mullet.

Is that the same Freo that finished 12th and missed finals again?

There is a reason why Richmond is flag favourites again this season - and we both agree its not because of Dusty.....

No such thing as a perfect player

Nic - good tapwork but doesn’t do too much else besides bulldoze a few clearances and spear tackle the odd skinny hff’er

Max - pretty good all round but doesn’t impose much of a physical presence and shits his pants in front of goals

Grundy - great as that extra mid type but never seems to sync totally with his mids on his h/o’s

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

There is a reason why Richmond is flag favourites again this season - and we both agree its not because of Dusty.....

Nic Nat isnt an elite ruck and Vlastuin is the main reason Tigers are winning flags.

Jesus dude, do you shake a magic eight ball to come up with these opinions or what?

Utterly bizarre comments.

No sh*t.

and I'm not even saying Goldy deserved to be AA.

I'm responding to the insinuation that NN was heads and shoulders above the next ruckman as a second midfielder, which is plain wrong.

Goldy averaged more contested possesions per game, more possessions, more marks.

They both finished top 10 in the league in clearances.

There wasn't much between them - NN was the starting ruck and Goldy didn't even make the squad!

View attachment 970162
The simple answer is Goldy looks like an accountant and NN a rockstar....sells

It's a fair comment. I haven't watched too much of north this year so went and looked at the comparison. Effectively similar, although was surprised Goldy has less average hitouts per game with 24% more time on ground, considering he's second on the all time hitout list.
In the key ruckman stats, NN shades him: 58.1% hitout win% to 45.1%, 3% higher hitouts to advantage (NN rates as 'average', Goldy rates as 'below average', although is 3% a significant difference?), but Goldy gets to more hitout contests (probably time on ground).

Just wish the bloke could play a full game, then he would be head and shoulders above the rest.

Or his numbers would drop massively due to exhaustion. We dont really know.

A tired Goldstein is still better than their next best ruckman. That is why he solo rucks.

NN is simply explosive in the ruck. His 60% is equivalent to 85% from Gawn Grundy and Goldstein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Nat is serverly overrated. Your life will be much more peaceful if you just accept that and not get worked up about the AA team. They bungle it year after year, it's not too much of a surprise.

He dominated the 1st quarter of the 2015 GF. WC just couldnt get runs on the board and the Hawks sprinted away. Doesnt take away from what he did.

In many ways he is similar to Cyril. You dont see half of what he does in stats. Watch his games.

He is one of the 4 or 5 least concerning selections this year. There are simply enormous flaws with the Wings and Forward line. Just bizarre there is any fuss about NN.

If you watch him play he never really attempts to mark. Just punches the ball to the preferred position. Not saying that's a good thing, I'd like to see him stick his hands up more. He's a good mark plus would win more frees that way.

As to the OP, get off the meth. Nicnat won games for us as an extra midfielder this year. No ruck has close to his impact.

Wow, a 5 possession midfielder too. Now that makes up for his not being able to mark as a tall, not.

Watch out Lache Neale.

Gawn loses games for Melbourne off his own boot.

Nic is a matchwinner.

I think Gawn took 11 marks in just the game against us. From our just kicking.

I dont think any Melbourne player even kicked towards him. But we singled him out over and over.

I dont think it has anything to do with who should be AA.

I just wanted to vent. Only game I saw all year.

Nic Nat clearly the most dominant big man in the game.
He makes life so much easier for the guys around him.
We have a ruckman who touches the ball 30+ times a game but has no influence.
Nic Nat touches 15 times but has huge influence .
He chases he tackles he harasses he knocks the ball on,when he wins the hit out Eagles usually score.
The only ruckman playing who can turn a game.

In many ways he is similar to Cyril. You dont see half of what he does in stats. Watch his games.

Except you actually do, if you're looking at the numbers that are relevant to his role.

Hitouts to Advantage
Hitout Win %
Hitout to Advantage %
Contested Possession Rate
Clearances
Inside 50s
Tackles
One Percenters

All freely available and visible through Footywire and AFL Stats Pro.

Also taking into account that NicNat does what he does in 10-20% less gametime than his contemporaries, and statistics actually favour NicNat when compared to other rucks in the league.

The problem is, we've still got some fools like the OP, who don't understand the ruck role, and ridiculously think that raw disposal and mark totals are evidence of effective ruckwork, when they really have little to do with it.

Last edited:
Except you actually do, if you're looking at the numbers that are relevant to his role.

Hitouts to Advantage
Hitoout Win %
Hitout to Advantage %
Contested Possession Rate
Clearances
Inside 50s
Tackles
One Percenters

All freely available and visible through Footywire and AFL Stats Pro.

Also taking into account that NicNat does what he does in 10-15% less gametime than his contemporaries, and statistics actually favour NicNat when compared to other rucks in the league.

The problem is, we've still got some fools like the OP, who don't understand the ruck role, and ridiculously think that raw disposal and mark totals are evidence of effective ruckwork, when they really have little to do with it.

A lot of those numbers are very similar across all the top ruck. Id still be wanting NN at the centre bounce as often as possible in a GF.

What does Luke Ryan’s season have to do with Richmond? He deserved his spot. He’s doesn’t flop for free kicks and he doesn’t sexually touch his teammates genitals in the change rooms like some creepy rapist. Your guys could learn a lot from him.

Nic Nat was the best ruckman in the league this year and was the deserved All Australian ruckman.

Having said that, the whole marking is not the role of a ruckman argument is just weird. Providing a marking target has been considered part of a ruckmans role since footy started. Yes, hit outs and actual ruckwork is their number one role, but this suggestion that, that is all that is expected of a ruckman is weird. Nic Nat makes up for his lack of marking in ways other ruckman don’t, but it’s ridiculous suggesting that marking shouldn’t be factored in when comparing ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back