mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
By suggesting he's going to sit around and do nothing, rather than be actively pursuing education, as he is. It wasn't necessary to say that.

I think you are projecting a bit there.... Pretty obvious he was talking about the unvaxxed's inability to do a great many things rather than calling Jones a no-hoper...

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No one forced Jones to do anything. Forced implies a lack of options

Players can chose to be vaccinated or not
and the AFL policies are pretty much just aligning with state mandates. If Jones can't train or play in Victoria, can't enter a Stadium in QLD or SA or probably even enter WA.... it's not like the AFL vaccination policy makes any difference for him.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
By suggesting he's going to sit around and do nothing, rather than be actively pursuing education, as he is. It wasn't necessary to say that.

That's fine you don't agree with my thoughts on compensation. I accept that.

But suggesting Jones' retirement wasn't forced from a policy change is something I don't accept.

Sitting around doing nothing - as in:
1. not going shopping (apart from essential food)
2. Not going to restaurants
3. Not going to pubs
4. Not going to cafes
5. not going to the movies
6. not going to sporting events
7. not going interstate/overseas

I wonder if his uni course is in the medical area 🤣

more like my internet, works well for a while then drops out for 5 mins or an hour or two once a week 🤣

And when you come back online, you have 17 consecutive unanswered emails?

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Brian Cook on GuesSEN this morning ...

“We requested that we pick up a compensatory pick through one of the drafts either the National Draft or the Rookie Draft or the Pre-Season Draft, but they (the AFL) knocked that back last night actually,” Cook told SEN Breakfast.

Cook added that the Blues will replace Jones via the supplementary selection period closer to the 2022 season.
“We will get a replacement, but it’ll be from our supplementary list and that is we grab a group of players and watch them train after all the drafts are finished and we’ll pick one of those players,” he said.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
No one forced Jones to do anything. Forced implies a lack of options

Players can chose to be vaccinated or not

You say he had options but I say those options, at best, were severely limited.

He could have compromised his principles or health concerns but for whatever reason wouldn't do that.

He could have gone on to the ineligible list which is akin to being sent to Coventry wherein he trains alone (if he wishes) and is reduced to communicating with his team mates or the club via zoom in the hope that the rules will be changed next year AND the club agrees to resign him.

Or he can weigh up his potential football future (as uncertain as that is)and decide that maybe, at his age, it would be too hard to come back. It seems that exercise led to him retiring.

I remain convinced that this is not, as some have said, "just another retirement"

How have I misrepresented him as a person?

I don't care if he got jabbed or not, it's his choice. But the AFL don't need to compensate us for anything. It is no different to any other player retiring at this point of the year.

He could have done it before the list lodgement deadline if he wanted to but chose not to. It's his fault we are in this situation, no one else's (not that it's a big deal - he wasn't going to part of our next flag)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Ah this hoary old chestnut that he wasn't/isn't part of our next flag.

You do not know this. Statistically he could have been part of a flag in 2022 as unlikely as it seems.

You don't even know if any player on our present list will be part of our next flag.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

He could have compromised his principles or health concerns but for whatever reason wouldn't do that.

He could have gone on to the ineligible list which is akin to being sent to Coventry wherein he trains alone (if he wishes) and is reduced to communicating with his team mates or the club via zoom in the hope that the rules will be changed next year AND the club agrees to resign him.

Or he can weigh up his potential football future (as uncertain as that is)and decide that maybe, at his age, it would be too hard to come back. It seems that exercise led to him retiring.

I remain convinced that this is not, as some have said, "just another retirement"

Ah this hoary old chestnut that he wasn't/isn't part of our next flag.

You do not know this. Statistically he could have been part of a flag in 2022 as unlikely as it seems.

You don't even know if any player on our present list will be part of our next flag.

Firstly - you agree, he had options and HE decided to retire - thanks for agreeing
Secondly - In my opinion, which we all have, he is a loss but it may be a good thing for the club as we can focus on finding the next tall backmen to partner Weitering for our tilt at our next flag. IMO, we wouldnt be pressing for a flag for another 2 or 3 years and Jones would be gone by then anyway.

But all i argue with others in this thread is the AFL dont need to give us any compensation - Liam Jones quit on his own volition

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
So, with AFL deciding that Jones' spot on the list cannot be replaced at the draft, we'll pick up a player via SSP. That's fine, gives us the opportunity to trial a few players over summer.

The other thing this means is that Liam stays on our list till next October, right? And if he wishes he can un-retire. A lot can change over the course of the next year. Perhaps rules on playing unvaccinated might change. Perhaps Liam might change his mind and get the vax.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

While his options were limited, he still had options

• Don't get vaccinated, then either retire or go on the inactive list hoping the directives/rules change which align more with his beliefs
  • Get vaccinated, with a choice/options of different vaccines
I don't see why we should be compensated for essentially a retirement, which could come about by injury, a lifestyle change within a family environment, illness, on field rule change or any other circumstance

Personally, I admire him sticking to his beliefs, whether I or others agree or not

As for my stance, I am neither pro or anti vax, it is more about what suits the lifestyle I want to lead now and in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Really can’t understand Liam’s decision ending a sporting career and his live ly hood, in the way he did. Unless considerable underlying medical issues are involved it’s quite baffling, unfortunately he's lack of transparency, so it seems has penalized CFC giving us limited recourse. Although we champion and uphold an individual’s freedom of choice , recent actions have left a bitter taste.

Last edited:

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Club should be moving heaven and earth to get him to change his decision.
Surely they should be fighting this tooth and nail...

Liam chose to retire. Nobody forced him to do anything - there was a very clear pathway for him to continue his AFL career but he chose not to pursue that.

To suggest he was forced into anything is a fallacy and frankly completely absurd.

Club should be moving heaven and earth to get him to change his decision.
Surely they should be fighting this tooth and nail...

You don't think they would have tried to get him to a position where he's able to play next year?

Not exactly sure what you want the club to do here, the guy is a 30 year old man who is free to and capable of making his own decisions.

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Something more... can't see why he couldn't be classified a placed on the LTI list, and supplemented. I suppose financial logistics etc and him doing the right thing by the club, but maybe come 2022 he might be available for a snap up in the rookie draft.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Something more... can't see why he couldn't be classified a placed on the LTI list, and supplemented. I suppose financial logistics etc and him doing the right thing by the club, but maybe come 2022 he might be available for a snap up in the rookie draft.
If he didn't retire he would have been placed on the inactive list, being paid his full salary up until that point, after which he'd get about $23k until May 18 when the club would be legally allowed to terminate his contract. We could have replaced him with a player in the SSP period, which is effectively what we're doing now anyway.

Who knows when state mandates will change regarding unvaccinated people crossing borders, entering workforces, stadiums, etc. Would guess it's going to be similar for much of 2022, if not all of it. Not sure I'd be banking on Jones' eligibility to train, play or travel in the near future if he hadn't retired.

The best thing he could have done by the club was retire before the final list lodgment deadline which would have allowed us 2 picks in the national draft, but he missed that cutoff by 4 days or so...

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I wouldn't use the word blame. Maybe responsible.
It doesn’t diminish that I reckon Liam behaved selfishly and carelessly in regards to consequences or impact for CFC, but it’s over, we move but the incident has left a strange feel. Hopefully other clubs learn to be better prepare for any possible, similar scenario.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
If this whole thing was as cut and dried as many here think why did our new, highly regarded, CEO go to the AFL to request a compensatory selection in either the ND, Rookie Draft or pre season draft?

Jeez, I even had people on here tell me that we would get an automatic last pick in the draft following the retirement. Where is that?

Last edited:

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
If this whole thing was as cut and dried as many here think why did our new, highly regarded, CEO go to the AFL to request a compensatory selection in either the ND, Rookie Draft or pre season draft?

Jeez, I even had people on here tell me that we would get an automatic last pick in the draft following the retirement. Where is that?

Because CEO's are meant to do their due diligence?
From Cook's comments it didn't exactly sound like they were very optimistic.

Back