Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when Mercuri got the ball in the forward 1/2 and I always expected a goal, this kid after just a handful of games already gives me this same feeling.

Just the way he moves and disposes the ball looks so natural. There's something about him that reminds me of great past and present players. Maybe it's the composure he possesses but I'm backing this kid to be a very good player

Lock him in for best 22 next year.
Another preseason to build up his tank, so he can start getting to more contests and increase his disposal output.

Lock him in for best 22 next year.
Another preseason to build up his tank, so he can start getting to more contests and increase his disposal output.
Wouldn't "lock" him in, however I think with a good pre-season he probably starts in the bottom 6 of the 22

Wouldn't "lock" him in, however I think with a good pre-season he probably starts in the bottom 6 of the 22

Keeping in mind he's one year removed from weighing as much as Tom Bellchambers does now and playing local footy who knows what he'll do with a full, proper preseason under him.

It could blow him up, he could but equally he could go another level. He's my big wildcard

Keeping in mind he's one year removed from weighing as much as Tom Bellchambers does now and playing local footy who knows what he'll do with a full, proper preseason under him.

It could blow him up, he could but equally he could go another level. He's my big wildcard
Of course. Just a disputing that he's guaranteed entry in the 22. That's reserved for the likes of Zaka, Heppell, Merrett etc

Woosha has him pegged as someone who has the tank to play midfield in the future
He will be a midfielder I reckon, played some minutes in the middle in the VFL and looked fantastic. I want one of two things next year 1. Play him in the AFL side and have him pinch hit in the middle 2. Or if we don't feel he is ready give him prime midfield time in the VFL. I'd prefer option 1

Don't see how it could blow him up. He's been putting in a power of work since bursting onto the scene in TAC cup and is actually reasonably gifted aerobically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My boy Begley assuming no injuries will become best 22 pretty quickly next year. A serious preseason under his belt and this kid will be massive. Would like him to become a wrecking ball in the middle.
He will probably lose a few more kgs on account of the increased running but his power, instinct, skills & hard work will see him fit in nicely next to Hepp, Merritt etc.

Nah, what his weight used to be isn't relevant, it's his fitness that's important, and that is a feature.

As it stands if he can get through pre-season he should be playing the mid-sized forward role for round 1.

I'd say that the jump into the midfield is unlikely. It's the guys who are going into their fourth pre-seasons who are going to get most of the midfield opportunities.

Its early but seems like we have a real good player already. As I said elsewhere he is an upgrade on Green and the last piece of the puzzle of our 2018 fwd line.

Chases, tackles, kicks goals and a elite kick (small sample size i know).

I see no reason why he cant kick 20+ goals himself next year.

As it stands if he can get through pre-season he should be playing the mid-sized forward role for round 1.

I'd say that the jump into the midfield is unlikely. It's the guys who are going into their fourth pre-seasons who are going to get most of the midfield opportunities.
You'd think that but, correct me if I'm wrong, he's already a better runner than any of them. Also shows, I think, greater appetite for the contest.

I personally think he will go straight past Laverde and Langford, if he hasn't already. Laverde in particular.

Totally....and I could totally be wrong.....it's an opinion. This forum wouldn't be much fun without 'em.
For sure! My post was a bit of a lighthearted dig at those going big early. FWIW, I hope that they are right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back