Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been saying for 18 months that having Begley, Laverde and Langford on the list at the same time and the same age is superfluous.
I would have moved one of them on by now as they play their best footy in the same position.

We have tried Langford as a mid and Laverde as an undersized full forward to fit them in, but in the process may have stunted the development of all three by not picking/developing them for their best position and just picking the one that came out on top.

I think Laverde (and Begley to a lesser extent) are lucky they are in contract for next year. Not sure they would have survived otherwise .
I still think Langford can work as an outside midfielder, but yeah, that's perfectly true.

I have been saying for 18 months that having Begley, Laverde and Langford on the list at the same time and the same age is superfluous.
I would have moved one of them on by now as they play their best footy in the same position.

We have tried Langford as a mid and Laverde as an undersized full forward to fit them in, but in the process may have stunted the development of all three by not picking/developing them for their best position and just picking the one that came out on top.

I think Laverde (and Begley to a lesser extent) are lucky they are in contract for next year. Not sure they would have survived otherwise .
I recall people saying Laverde was on the trade table and there was zero interest? If true, speaks volumes.

Agreed.

Tim Watson had a pretty average year after his reconstruction.

So did Paul Salmon.

So have plenty of players.

Give the guy a bit of time.

All of the aforementioned were pretty big players prior to their reco’s, he was barely an established AFL footballer...

Think he struggles tbh....just hasn’t got a pod

Agreed.

Tim Watson had a pretty average year after his reconstruction.

So did Paul Salmon.

So have plenty of players.

Give the guy a bit of time.
That was in an age where they had nfi how to rehab an acl though. Night and day compared to today.
He definitely gets some leeway coming off the acl, but I am stunned just how bad he was this year.
Disagree with most that it's now or never, he's the sort of player who will get an extension next year off very very little, but I hope he actually earns it.

Hes got some decent attributes, running capacity, neat with the ball and a bit of goal sense. On exposed form the ceiling doesn't appear to be very high with Begeley so he may need to add 'versatile' to the list to make it - Unless he can step up to big midfield minutes - every Essendon flankers mission.

He does have goal sense but he's a butcher with the ball. Honestly nothing has ever stuck out to me regarding him and Laverde. At least Langford does have those moments where he looks like a jet. Which matters because they're all eyeing that same 3rd tall/hybrid position in the forward line.

To each his own though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was in an age where they had nfi how to rehab an acl though. Night and day compared to today.
He definitely gets some leeway coming off the acl, but I am stunned just how bad he was this year.
Disagree with most that it's now or never, he's the sort of player who will get an extension next year off very very little, but I hope he actually earns it.

I've been through one. It's a lot more than physical. And not sure that they had NFI.

So you are saying John Bartlett & Bruce Reid had NFI?
Bruce Reid has rehabbed zero acls, he is a sports doc, what does he have to do with it? We are talking about physios.
And nothing against those physios of the time, they just had very little available information on rehabbing acls.

I'm not sure why you are taking this as an attack on the physios of the 80s. We have learnt a hell of a lot in 30+ years of research and trial and error on this topic. That's not a ground breaking statement.

And I don't think we need to divert any further from Begley.

Out of curiosity do you hold the same view of Francis, Gleeson and Ridley?

A tad unfair as Gleeson and Ridley can play on smalls as well as mediums.

No. Mainly because I have maintained that Francis is competing with Hurley and to a lesser extent Hooker for his position. He is limited in his ability to play on smalls which differentiates him from Ridley and Gleeson and makes him more a KPD than a flanker.

I definitely think Ridley and Gleeson are competing for spots in the 22, and maybe to a lesser extent Redman. Although I would argue Redman has just about cemented himself as best 22 at this point, and plays more as a dasher at his best.

The thing is with Laverde, Langford and Begley it would work if one became a bone fide midfielder or Laverde could hold down a key forward post. However all three really haven't developed into much of anything. Now, injuries have played a part, and so has having them play different positions and chopping and changing their roles in the team dependant on whether they are in seniors or VFL.

Regardless of how we got here, what we have now (and for 12 months now) is 3 guys that are best forward, been half developed as midfielders but at this point aren't capable of playing consistently in either position at AFL level. Having there guys who are 22-23 year older fwd-mid tweeters is poor list management, especially when neither are a pick for the 22 currently.

His kicking last season was poor but I remember him being a usually decent kick. Hopefully a full pre season and we see some improvement from him.
I remember in 2017 he was one of our better field kicks in the team when he eventually broke through.

It just goes to show you cant ever underestimate the mental toll of an ACL. He may not have been 100% comfortable for a while after getting back and being slightly off kilter makes you look totally pedestrian at senior level.

I was pretty happy with how he was tracking before his ACL

It's hard to know his exact position. He seems a forward flanker but I agree I can't see Langford, Laverde, Begley all in the same fwd line especially having a guy like Stringer there

Probably time for Langford to lose some kegs and try at his most natural position as a wingman

People might try and compare them to say a similar trio in Degoey, Stephenson and WHE but they're still all different.

Langford and Begley are a bit too slow to play together in a fwd line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back