Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Is not filling me with any confidence that he is close to being good enough over head to be the third tall defender that many still think he can be (at least in the sense that list management should be based on his ability to hold down a key defensive post).

People have realised he won't be a key position player, instead utilising his speed and neat skills running off half back.

Is not filling me with any confidence that he is close to being good enough over head to be the third tall defender that many still think he can be (at least in the sense that list management should be based on his ability to hold down a key defensive post).

People have realised he won't be a key position player, instead utilising his speed and neat skills running off half back.

People have realised he won't be a key position player, instead utilising his speed and neat skills running off half back..

Started terribly but got better as the game went on. Still makes too many skill errors and can't win a one on one to save his life. Getting out marked twice by Menzal is unacceptable.

Say that again

rk6cmb.gif

he's in my preferred line up but as a utility alongside 3 kpds.

he's held some nice marks recently but it is my impression that he IS AT LEAST STURGGLING TO TIME HIS APPROACH ENOUGH TO SPOIL ANYONE WHI CAN MARK .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always thought Pears was more a half back than a key defender; the extra man rather than a genuine stopper. The main thing with him is he needs to play aggressively, especially with ball in hand - when he moves it quickly and trusts his skills and his eye he looks a very very good player, when he hesitates (which is usually early in games) he can cause himself some problems.

But if he is going to play as a tall defender, he has to be a lot better week to week in the aerial contests, no question there.

Like aspects of his game, but thought at certain key moments, it was him on a number of occasions who gave his man the extra couple of metres and allowed them to link-up at wing/half-forward. When everyone is manned-up around the ground, just has to stay tighter and keep it a 50-50 contest. Seems resigned to concede the mark, and just happy to hold him up (stand the mark) rather than effect the spoil or body on in the contest.

That said, some of our blokes in the past month have been committing to the contest, failing to win or effect a spoil, and then getting burned when they go past or go to ground. Similar thing Dempsey used to do - not be tight enough when opposition are pushing through midfield.

Nevertheless, has been getting some handy stats, which will do wonders for his confidence in the future, but plenty to work on, but time is on his side (not necessarily with us :oops:)

Thought Pears was very good on the weekend. Disposal is tidy and took the game on well, looks to be blossoming in his new role despite the odd defensive lapse

how

does

he

get

a

game?

played about 3 metres behind his opponent tonight. really clever football. his technique of handballing deep in defense to a player under more pressure than him is genius.

maybe he could coach 2014

rose tinted glasses perhaps? I understand you would find it hard to be objective.

It is frightening. He can hardly get a fist onto the ball. Needs to play a whole lot tighter and stop with the cheapies. Would like to see him with half his usual amount of possessions but with long kicks.

rose tinted glasses perhaps? I understand you would find it hard to be objective.

My point is regarding the fact that everything you write is excessively negative towards our players.

Tayte was deplorable in the last game of an unbelievably taxing season. All in all, we barely gave a yelp and were beaten by a mediocre side. Move on to bigger things, we've been shot for the past 8 weeks.

The form of Pears is saddening to me. Was on the way to be my favourite player 4 years ago. Hasn't panned out that way. I still think with two gun KPDs in Hurley and Carlisle, by guns I mean beating everyone when in form, that Pears will offer a lot to us as a rebounder who can also take a medium sized player, though Edwards is the sort of player he should be taking and that was terrible last night.

The form of Pears is saddening to me. Was on the way to be my favourite player 4 years ago. Hasn't panned out that way. I still think with two gun KPDs in Hurley and Carlisle, by guns I mean beating everyone when in form, that Pears will offer a lot to us as a rebounder who can also take a medium sized player, though Edwards is the sort of player he should be taking and that was terrible last night.

At least he looks to have got his body right and his pace or agility don't seem to have suffered. I hope we keep him but there should be a real emphasis to concentrate on his one-on-one work over the summer. He used to be strong in this regard so I think he's worth persisting with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back