Player Watch #17 James Jordon

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:
Still not sure how we find room for him in the team but absolutely think he can be a valuable player. Also can't help thinking for him to volunteer to come he must have been told something promising about getting games because he was already on the fringes at Melbourne and getting a decent number of games.
He was a swans supporter growing up, so we may have had a small advantage there. More likely to buy what we were selling even if we weren't offering anything more than what he was offered at Melbourne.

Still not sure how we find room for him in the team but absolutely think he can be a valuable player. Also can't help thinking for him to volunteer to come he must have been told something promising about getting games because he was already on the fringes at Melbourne and getting a decent number of games.

Mills out for 2/3 of the year so there's a position available there

Really nice bit of midfielding (did I just coin a new verb?). It helped that Brodie won the tap (and hopefully that's going to help our mids all year!) and JJ had positioned himself well, pushed off Rowy, caught Paps with his feet planted far apart (is it possible that Paps slightly shirked that contest?) and cleverly ran around Papley to prevent Rowy tackling him (because Paps was in the way) finishing off with a good, effective kick inside 50 to the advantage of Dossa who was leading nicely towards him and who would have been very hard to stop. In short, JJ had some help from his teammates and did some excellent work!

Interesting to note that Rowy is often criticised for being too defensive but this time he was on the offensive side gambling on his ruck winning the tap. But maybe he was counting on Papley to do the defending because what the hell else was Papley doing? It doesn't look like he had manned up on any opponent and was guarding the exact space that JJ ran into. JJ just seemed to want it more and/or react quicker. It also shows how much having a good ruck like Grundy (who can identify the place to hit to and win the tap) is going to help us!!!

I like that Swans media team is publishing snippets like this. Not only does it help us to see what the team is up to but it also helps me to learn more about the game.

Great signs from JJ. Read the ball quickly, had enough pace to separate from defender then hit a target at speed. Lovely bit of footy.
This is what we seemed to miss last year. A decent tap but particularly an attack on the footy. Too often we let the oppo get first hands.
TBH I hadn't really thought of JJ as an inside mid but he certainly showed something there.
Nice to see the boys acknowledge it.

James Jordon sounds like Mitch Morton. Mitch was the GOAT of grand final cameos, hope James does same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you say, spelled differently to his Airness Michael Jordan but it just occurred to me (maybe this was obvious to others) that his first name of James matches up with another famous wearer of the number 23, LeBron.

JJ’s old number at the Dees was 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back