17 round season..

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been mulling over Kayo leading up to this but apart from EPL i don't really have a need for it, due to having AFL app, how do you find it?
EPL isn't actually on it. All other soccer leagues are. I find it great, much better picture quality than AFL app, and generally all the foxtel sport, including american sports and soccer (minus EPL) for $25 is good value.

not sure you realize how bad this could be. If this had happened 10 years ago it would have ended our club. Now we're back on our feet why the fu** would we be pulling ourselves back down. I buy a family membership every year and I'm lucky if I get to see 1 or 2 games. I'm sure you can suck it up for a year.

Sounds like you can. Not sure you can speak for anyone else though.

EPL isn't actually on it. All other soccer leagues are. I find it great, much better picture quality than AFL app, and generally all the foxtel sport, including american sports and soccer (minus EPL) for $25 is good value.

Thanks Event Horizon

Saw there was no EPL but even having the Champions League, FA Cup & Championship on there is good

not sure you realize how bad this could be. If this had happened 10 years ago it would have ended our club. Now we're back on our feet why the fu** would we be pulling ourselves back down. I buy a family membership every year and I'm lucky if I get to see 1 or 2 games. I'm sure you can suck it up for a year.
Yep. It's not as if we all hadn't worked that money into our budgets anyway. If there are people who have taken a big hit financially because of this then I don't begrudge them trying to get their money back, but I feel like everyone else should just suck it up for the sake of the club.

Sounds like you can. Not sure you can speak for anyone else though.
Mate, I understand the ramifications of this. I'm self-employed and I'm going to take a big hit. My wife's promotion has been canceled. But I'll be saving money on no movies, dinners out, gigs, beers at the footy club etc. I'll save elsewhere before I take money back off North Melbourne. After battling so hard to save the club why now would we kick it back in the dirt?

I'd like to think that those who've forked out hundred or thousands for a membership (i.e not a 3 gamer) with the intention to watch their teams live, would be given some relief or a discount for a viewing subscription. Should be workable given the spike in viewers that broadcasters are about to receive.
Something the clubs would need to work out with the AFL and broadcasters.

Mate, I understand the ramifications of this. I'm self-employed and I'm going to take a big hit. My wife's promotion has been canceled. But I'll be saving money on no movies, dinners out, gigs, beers at the footy club etc. I'll save elsewhere before I take money back off North Melbourne. After battling so hard to save the club why now would we kick it back in the dirt?

And I genuinely applaud you. I've bought multiple memberships across my family and don't expect to see a single game this year, but won't be asking for a single cent back.

Luckily, we can absorb the hit. But as hard as it is for us, you, and many others, there are those out there who simply can't afford to fork out for memberships and not get anything back for it. If they choose to request a refund then fair enough.

I'd like to think that those who've forked out hundred or thousands for a membership (i.e not a 3 gamer) with the intention to watch their teams live, would be given some relief or a discount for a viewing subscription. Should be workable given the spike in viewers that broadcasters are about to receive.
Something the clubs would need to work out with the AFL and broadcasters.
I think any spike will be offset by the decrease in games

And I genuinely applaud you. I've bought multiple memberships across my family and don't expect to see a single game this year, but won't be asking for a single cent back.

Luckily, we can absorb the hit. But as hard as it is for us, you, and many others, there are those out there who simply can't afford to fork out for memberships and not get anything back for it. If they choose to request a refund then fair enough.

memberships are really a donation to the club - most wont expect anything

I think any spike will be offset by the decrease in games
Not for broadcasters or streaming providers. Viewership for them will increase big time now that they are the only way to watch games. They'll get a hefty revenue bump from 17 games (assuming 17 are played), which is why I reckon they (together with the AFL), could help look after club members who had already paid upfront to watch their team live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already have 3 memberships + 1 AFL Club Support Membership + Foxtel. What would they do for me?

I'm just making suggestions. The last thing we want to see though is clubs having to send back money that they have perhaps already spent.

There needs to be some lateral thinking on this. Maybe for each membership, members are given the opportunity to get back, say an amount of $50, or a percentage of the cost of the membership, which can be in the form of a cash payment or a discounted Foxtel subscription or a combination of both, for the period the season runs.

In my opinion this could be a winner for Foxtel in particular, because they are going to be broadcasting the games anyway, so every extra dollar they get is cash in the bank. Plus, there is a chance that some of those who have never had a Foxtel subscription before, will renew on a full package in years to come. I would hate to not have Foxtel and I suspect there may be many others, having once experienced it, will continue for the long haul.

The reality is that there will be some members of some clubs who will want all of their money back and there needs to be some careful thinking how that can be managed to minimise the financial cost to clubs.

memberships are really a donation to the club - most wont expect anything
There's the membership and then the reserved seat component, which is a different issue. Essentially you are pre-paying for a seat - and if a random who bought a ticket for this week's game from Ticketmaster gets a refund, why shouldn't someone who pays for it through their membership get the same refund?

If it was me, I'd be offering credits for next year rather than cash refunds, though. Makes people sign up as members, and flattens the curve of declining income, to make it easier to manage in the short-term and give us more time to arrange a support package from the AFL, etc.

Not for broadcasters or streaming providers. Viewership for them will increase big time now that they are the only way to watch games. They'll get a hefty revenue bump from 17 games (assuming 17 are played), which is why I reckon they (together with the AFL), could help look after club members who had already paid upfront to watch their team live.
Channel 7 may get a revenue bump because they can charge more per add due to the increase in viewership but they will lose out with 5 weeks less of football. But there's also going to be plenty of sponsors that will have to cut their advertising budgets due to their decreases in revenue. Sure Fox and Kayo will get more subscriptions, but in reality how many more? Hard to say. Most diehards already have fox or kayo. The rest will just watch what's on free to air.

The AFL could offer streaming for free but this would upset the broadcasters. Not sure what the answer is.

There's the membership and then the reserved seat component, which is a different issue. Essentially you are pre-paying for a seat - and if a random who bought a ticket for this week's game from Ticketmaster gets a refund, why shouldn't someone who pays for it through their membership get the same refund?

If it was me, I'd be offering credits for next year rather than cash refunds, though. Makes people sign up as members, and flattens the curve of declining income, to make it easier to manage in the short-term and give us more time to arrange a support package from the AFL, etc.
yeah, the reserved seat is a problem and that component probably should be refunded.

Why cant people go to corporate boxes to watch? They are contained and are less than 500 people.

Channel 7 may get a revenue bump because they can charge more per add due to the increase in viewership but they will lose out with 5 weeks less of football. But there's also going to be plenty of sponsors that will have to cut their advertising budgets due to their decreases in revenue. Sure Fox and Kayo will get more subscriptions, but in reality how many more? Hard to say. Most diehards already have fox or kayo. The rest will just watch what's on free to air.
Not if they want to watch their team every week, and many will, with offices, cinemas, sporting venues, etc, being locked down with nowhere to go.

I expect there will be a lot more people signing up to Fox and Kayo.

Can we just play some ******* footy?

Just see how long it can go for and go from there, I don't even like Gil and I think he's a done a good job of laying out the possibilities.

Everyone's going through some s**t, we're all cooped up, our work lives have been affected, money is tight, food is out. I think we can let a group of 44 guys go out there and play some football for 2 hours and entertain the fans at home who can't go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back