17 round season..

Remove this Banner Ad

17 round season will help a team with older players and us with our injury history

You know, I've always thought a shorter season would help teams with the most depth, but I can see positives for us

That wouldn't make any sense what's so ever. Given the crowd won't be there, tourists won't come (which is the whole point why Tassie government and Spirit Of Tasmania are paying for those games) and organizing a charter flight and hotels is an increased cost to the AFL and/or club. It wouldn't make sense to play any games there in fact.
They're talking about interstate sides playing home games in Melbourne when there is an opportunity to save money on flights home. Don't think games are being played in Tassie.

We may not have to travel to worst australia

17/03/2020 08:56

Top doctors across WA’s biggest hospitals are sensationally calling for the state to effectively close its borders to protect West Australians from the coronavirus pandemic.

Premier Mark McGowan said he would discuss shutting WA‘s borders with Cabinet and Australia’s Chief Medical Officer this afternoon, but has stressed “we are not at that point”.

It comes after a bombshell letter from some of the State's top doctors saying the measure was urgently needed to stop the march of COVID-19.

In the letter obtained by The West Live and discussed on this morning’s show, the Combined Medical Leads Advisory Group raised concerns about the “extremely limited” availability of testing infrastructure and supplies in WA.

Interesting to note that Greg Swann is bitching about lost revenue.

Some of these clubs are going to experience what it's like to be North EVERY YEAR!

Interesting to note that Greg Swann is bitching about lost revenue.

Some of these clubs are going to experience what it's like to be North EVERY YEAR!

Reckon bigger clubs with bigger m'ships got alot more to lose than us. They'll have more " supporters " clambering to get there money back, and if their pokies are closed

Reckon bigger clubs with bigger m'ships got alot more to lose than us. They'll have more " supporters " clambering to get there money back, and if their pokies are closed

It's just another year for us.

You can forget all this bullshit about voting for certain board members because they have "political connections" that will fork over money due to our wholesomeness. That's gone the way of the "White Knights" now.

Last edited:
How about the AFL run a Lightning Premiership in Melbourne instead of round 1 this weekend? Or the following weekend? No doubt would take massive organising and still a crowd lockout, but at least a small competition for the year. It is inevitable a player will catch the virus and then surely its all over for the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the season does proceed behind closed doors, as has already been stated, there will be pressure on clubs to return membership payments. Maybe an option for clubs to retain most of their membership revenue, would be to arrange for all members to have a Foxtel subscription paid for, from part of the membership monies already received by the club.

If the season does proceed behind closed doors, as has already been stated, there will be pressure on clubs to return membership payments

They really shouldn't be doing that. Most people who can afford a membership, can bite the bullet on their ability to join games this year, and its not even out of the question whether they'll be able to for the entire duration of the season (of which even that we don't know) as its being assessed on a week to week basis.

People need to realise that this situation was out of every single clubs control, and if clubs like ours and other small clubs are forced by their own hand or otherwise to refund memberships, then its only going to hurt them massively.

There's also no way Foxtel will make a deal to have just hand over whatever they make to compensate clubs and members. It's a deal I can see easily falling through, considering they'd be making that deal with all clubs simultaneously, who may all have completely different demands and amounts of cash being traded for what is essentially a gift card subscription to foxtel, of which not every member would be willing to take.

If the season does proceed behind closed doors, as has already been stated, there will be pressure on clubs to return membership payments. Maybe an option for clubs to retain most of their membership revenue, would be to arrange for all members to have a Foxtel subscription paid for, from part of the membership monies already received by the club.

The knock on impacts are significant. Advertisers / Sponsors / Memberships.........Clubs will hope members will support the club and not want a refund...Clubs will hope sponsors will support the club even though their sales might be down......Advertisers may not be so lenient with broadcasters if games arent on....broadcasters may / will want to claw back when negotiating rights......interesting times ahead.......Gil will be tested.

They really shouldn't be doing that. Most people who can afford a membership, can bite the bullet on their ability to join games this year, and its not even out of the question whether they'll be able to for the entire duration of the season (of which even that we don't know) as its being assessed on a week to week basis.

People need to realise that this situation was out of every single clubs control, and if clubs like ours and other small clubs are forced by their own hand or otherwise to refund memberships, then its only going to hurt them massively.

There's also no way Foxtel will make a deal to have just hand over whatever they make to compensate clubs and members. It's a deal I can see easily falling through, considering they'd be making that deal with all clubs simultaneously, who may all have completely different demands and amounts of cash being traded for what is essentially a gift card subscription to foxtel, of which not every member would be willing to take.
Scary when you consider approx 20% of our revenue comes from membership and gate receipts.........$8m ish..........

Yep I can smell what they are cooking
We can play at Arden St, can't we?
We have the scoreboard and changerooms for players and umpires. Just no seats, which aren't required. This could be the season for it.

My family membership with reserve seats is costing around $1200 with monthly payments. I am already paying $25 a month for Kayo, and have no need for Foxtel. But I would like my money back for such an expensive membership if I can't attend any games.

My family membership with reserve seats is costing around $1200 with monthly payments. I am already paying $25 a month for Kayo, and have no need for Foxtel. But I would like my money back for such an expensive membership if I can't attend any games.

I've been mulling over Kayo leading up to this but apart from EPL i don't really have a need for it, due to having AFL app, how do you find it?

I already have 3 memberships + 1 AFL Club Support Membership + Foxtel. What would they do for me?

not sure you realize how bad this could be. If this had happened 10 years ago it would have ended our club. Now we're back on our feet why the * would we be pulling ourselves back down. I buy a family membership every year and I'm lucky if I get to see 1 or 2 games. I'm sure you can suck it up for a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back